skydived19006

New Tandem Rig Soon to Enter the Market

hi Shlomo,
to make it short, if you think about it : MARD does not response to a need in the regular practise ! how many lives could be saved worldwide with a MARD what could not be saved with a regular RSL, since according TSO, RSL is supposed to save your life up to 300 foot high...the answer is pretty close from zero if you consider what the skydiver in question has to cuttaway below 300 feet but still above 150 feet... Why make it more complicated on a sport rig , Am I wrong ?

Proudly displaying a riser cover prematurely open during drogue fall too. Hey they said refined tandem technology! Flame on...
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Tandem student wearing dark goggles, on a sunset tandem. http://www.plexustandem.com/images/article_images/about/about-sh-350.gif

The entire tandem system focuses on simplifying the tandem equipment. No special tools are needed to pack or close the rig. Many parts are easily replaceable in the field, and many do not need a rigger to do the work. For example, the drogue/bridle is attached to the main bag by three soft links. The main closing pin is attached to the bridle with a lark’s head. Either of these high wear items can be changed in minutes with no tools.

Something about maintaining a dual harness, dual parachute system that doesn't require a rigger?

I can't wait to see the shit someone comes up with to 'fix' something.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

:)
Always good to hear from you - long time no see.

I do think that the MARD/SKYHOOK is a good system for sport as well.

I do not think it is more complicated, I do think that riggers & owners should know it better & deal with it as should.

I have many sport h/c with Skyhook (UPT & SPP) & never had an issue - as a rigger if you know how to inspect & handle it - it is easy to deal with.

Skyhook will save life at lower altitude faser than the RSL & I think it does happaned in the past in the USA.

Skyhook pulls the PIN & the FREE BAG & by pulling the free bag it might assist to eliminate any reserve pilot chute / flaps issues or hesitation.

RSL pulls the PIN or the Cable only & the reserve pilot chute takes over.

Regarding the TSO 3 sec. / 300 ft. reserve deployments - it might be longer for many reasons.

Both systems like any system have PROS & CONS but IMO there are more PROS in the Skyhook / MARD system.

Cheers

Please write the book since I am yet to see a compelling reason to swap from one rig to this one. Minor things like the "field replaceable" items are so low on the list that they don't even count. After replacing a few legpads and seeing the effort for a rigger is about 15 minutes that is basically the same effort in the end. What else on the rig makes it so much better than a Strong? What makes it better than a Sigma?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

HA! Take a little from column A, take a little from column B. Want that book? Glenn Bangs has a great manual for the training and rigging. Never met the guy in person, but talked to him on the phone about a month ago. Super helpful nice guy and you could be a phone call away from getting it.

We're a small group of three TI's. We're a little place with a few 182s and Strong's on the wall. Strong's always sent in for updates and still nice. That doesn't change the expiration's and we needed to make a decision. Between the three of us, our DZO, rigger, we had to come to an agreement and for us that's going to be the Plexus. I know other DZs got their own things goin on every one is different. For us, this works, for you, no clue.

I noticed some significant similarity's between both Strong and Sigma. (Don't know the Racer or Eclipse or some of the others very well.) Primary/Secondary is the three ring release cable on one and its housing on the other. RSL left side. Well thought-out MARD system. Looks and feels like a big Wings. Passenger harness is comfortable, well designed. Drogue handle secured with magnet and tab. Riser flaps use the magnets. Bottom closing loop double lined and top loop is a small bungee bite of bridle. The manual is still gonna do you a better job:)

Every system had some feature, component, balance, procedure, that we were taking into consideration. Every current manufacturer has something pretty amazing to offer this market. To call any one better than another is an insult to the rest. That was our problem. We've spent the last year trying to decide what platform to move to. It's safe, well built, comfortable, versatile, and very affordable. The only one we could all agree on for our current/future needs.
Door!.... wait, what are we doin again?

I don't understand how a 3 ring system for a drogue release is an "upgrade" over a sigma.

I'm sure some smart individual could screw up the closing of a sigma, I personally can't figure out how other than putting the pin the wrong side up and all that does is just make the pull force suck. Now a 3 ring system that is put together wrong that isn't caught before boarding is going to really make your day suck.

I'll be sticking with sigmas and don't ever see a reason to get a strong rating (or this rigs rating).

YMMV

The 3 ring and the disk are both great release systems. Both well thought out, field proven, and both have been created by minds far greater than mine.

We've personally never had a single problem with the 3 ring release. We've been using it for decades and over countless jumps. Again, I will mention that every DZ is different. We are not the typical "Skydive Walmart" that seams to be so increasingly more common. We take our time, check our gear, and keep the students safety first.

Confidence and knowledge of your system is paramount to the students safety. I would never recommend an instructor jump something they were not comfortable with, regardless of the reason. Stick with what you know and keep putting smiles on their faces man!
Door!.... wait, what are we doin again?

List price for a Plexus H/C $4973, student harness $780, both $5763.
List price for a Sigma H/C with student harness $5340.

Though pricing with for the Plexus as opposed to Sigma with new canopies is $1641 less. Plexus complete minus AAD $11,349. Sigma with canopies (no AAD) $12,990.

Then there's the discussion regarding main and reserve preference.

My thought now is that what may lean me more toward Plexus as opposed to Sigma is that I currently own five Precision TR375 reserve canopies.

http://www.plexustandem.com/pricing.html

Edit to add:
Here's "The Book!" http://www.plexustandem.com/images/pdf/PTOMv1p9d.pdf
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

To summarize: sounds like Plexus is most cost-effective for DZOs retiring worn-out Eclipse tandem rigs.
Plexus would be almost as cost-effective for DZOs replacing worn-out Vector or Racer tandems.
As for the Sigma fanatics ...... please don't bother awakening the Sigma fanatics because you might get hurt by their instinctive knee-jerk reaction.
Hah!
Hah!

PhreeZone

I know of a few DZ's that have shoved TR375's in their Sigma's. This involves picking some of the stitches on the reserve risers so I would call UPT if you want to do this to get their take on it.

Because the UPT system is still designed to use brackets as opposed to links?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

PhreeZone

I know of a few DZ's that have shoved TR375's in their Sigma's. This involves picking some of the stitches on the reserve risers so I would call UPT if you want to do this to get their take on it.

Butler used to sew riser ends with the same stitch pattern. That allowed field riggers to chose L-bar or Maillon Rapide links.
They just left all stitches intact when installing L-bar links.
Before installing Maillon Rapide links, they had to carefully un-pick the top "boxed" portion of the stitch pattern while leaving the WMW intact.

I have some interesting news about this new tandem.

It's now Wings Tandem, and I'm managing the project.

I'll soon send an email to everyone I know who is a Plexus TI or IE about the change, but here's the short version:

Since the rigs were made in Zephyrhills by Wings, we're now handling the whole show, including training. Plexus TIs and IEs are grandfathered for Wings Tandem. The rigs we're selling are basically Plexus, but updated with several small but important improvements. You can put any canopy you wish in the rig, and I've tested a few to make sure they work.

I can offer a special good deal on Precision and Aerodyne canopies, and have a great deal on the m2 AAD. For a limited time, I can offer a complete rig for $10,544.00. If you already have a component that you want to use (main, reserve, AAD) contact me and I'll make you a deal.

Probably the biggest change is customer service. If you want to know anything, make an order, check on an order, find out about the history and development of the system, have a problem... contact me. I'll always either answer my phone or get back to you fast. And I'll make sure you have a complete answer.

How to reach me:
David Strobel
Project Manager
[email protected]
813-417-8666
6520 Fort King Road
Zephyrhills, FL 33542