angelwings02

wanting to take my 13 yr old son on his dream come true skydiving adventure...mission impossible??

Nope, no Federal Minimum age for an unlicensed seller to sell or give a long gun to another person. That is, any person that is not a licensed gun dealer can sell, or give, any other person, regardless of age, a long gun (such as an AK-47 in semi-automatic). In TN, there is no minimum age for possession of a long gun.

And there is no law preventing a kid from doing a tandem out of a personal plane with equipment you made. But if you want to use a Strong or a Sigma, or want to jump at most commercial centers, or want to jump in the US, they have to be 18.... SAME as buying from a dealer vs some guy on the street.

So you want to talk about dealers.... Then we have to talk about drop zones.

I seem to recall a certain DZO getting very mad at one of his video guys for selling his underage (although a quite accomplished skydiver) son a rifle. He even threatened to call the police on the video guy.

Mike, why don't you let just anyone take their 13 year old on a tandem at your DZ?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Nope, no Federal Minimum age for an unlicensed seller to sell or give a long gun to another person. That is, any person that is not a licensed gun dealer can sell, or give, any other person, regardless of age, a long gun (such as an AK-47 in semi-automatic). In TN, there is no minimum age for possession of a long gun.

And there is no law preventing a kid from doing a tandem out of a personal plane with equipment you made. But if you want to use a Strong or a Sigma, or want to jump at most commercial centers, or want to jump in the US, they have to be 18.... SAME as buying from a dealer vs some guy on the street.

So you want to talk about dealers.... Then we have to talk about drop zones.

I seem to recall a certain DZO getting very mad at one of his video guys for selling his underage (although a quite accomplished skydiver) son a rifle. He even threatened to call the police on the video guy.

Mike, why don't you let just anyone take their 13 year old on a tandem at your DZ?

It is immaterial what aircraft is used for a tandem jump as there is no FAA minimum age for tandems.

There are tandem rigs that have no manufacturer age limits and can be used by passengers/students of any age.

USPA Tandem Instructors are not allowed to jump with any student under 16. My DZ does allow our USPA Tandem Instructors to do tandems with students under 16 and wed do not jump students under 16.

Parents always have the right to determine what firearms their children possess and should be rightfully upset when someone gives/sells their child a firearm after being explicitly told not to do so.

Mike

It is immaterial what aircraft is used for a tandem jump as there is no FAA minimum age for tandems.

False, my experimental aircraft specifically forbids skydiving in its operational limitation letter. Many planes do not allow flight with the door removed... So it is not "immaterial" and the FAA cares.

Parents always have the right to determine what firearms their children possess and should be rightfully upset when someone gives/sells their child a firearm after being explicitly told not to do so.

Never said otherwise. But you threatened to call the police on Rico and, as you have stated, there is no LAW to prevent him from selling a rifle to a minor.

The poster I replied to said it was a litigious issue why kids could not skydive, but then tried to claim someone under 18 could buy an AK47. Fact is that you CAN skydive under 18 (as your children have proven), and while you can buy a rifle under the age of 18, you can't from a dealer and the kids parents might call the cops on you for it.

To the OP... You heard him, take your kid to WTS. Mike will let him jump there.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

False, my experimental aircraft specifically forbids skydiving in its operational limitation letter. Many planes do not allow flight with the door removed... So it is not "immaterial" and the FAA cares.

Never said otherwise. But you threatened to call the police on Rico and, as you have stated, there is no LAW to prevent him from selling a rifle to a minor.

The poster I replied to said it was a litigious issue why kids could not skydive, but then tried to claim someone under 18 could buy an AK47. Fact is that you CAN skydive under 18 (as your children have proven), and while you can buy a rifle under the age of 18, you can't from a dealer and the kids parents might call the cops on you for it.

To the OP... You heard him, take your kid to WTS. Mike will let him jump there.

I am fully aware that you cannot make a jump from an experimental aircraft and have made many posts specifically stating that. I was only making the point that the FAA does not care about the AGE of the person making the jump.

I do not take tandems at my DZ under 16.

Mike

The poster I replied to said it was a litigious issue why kids could not skydive, but then tried to claim someone under 18 could buy an AK47.

I was only being half serious with that comment, it was mainly to point out how the rest of the world looks on the gun issue in the US.....but thats another story.

Mikes point about unlicenced gun dealings and the lack of control thereof just highlights the absurdity of the situation you unfortunately have to live with there, and contrasts completely with the rules about skydiving.

But as far as a strictly safety issue, taking an under age person on a tandem is no more inherently dangerous than taking a person of legal age....which was my point.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

The poster I replied to said it was a litigious issue why kids could not skydive, but then tried to claim someone under 18 could buy an AK47.

I was only being half serious with that comment, it was mainly to point out how the rest of the world looks on the gun issue in the US.....but thats another story.

Mikes point about unlicenced gun dealings and the lack of control thereof just highlights the absurdity of the situation you unfortunately have to live with there, and contrasts completely with the rules about skydiving.

But as far as a strictly safety issue, taking an under age person on a tandem is no more inherently dangerous than taking a person of legal age....which was my point.

It is not an unfortunate or absurd situation. The unfortunate and absurd situation is how your govt does not trust you.

Can we keep the gun debate out, so the thread doesn't get locked/deleted?

You should ask the one that brought it up.

So 3 months of the US fatality rate from gun deaths, equals the 9/11 death toll.....which the US went crazy about, and has spent trillions on a futile "war on terror", yet the same number of deaths raises no screams because the second amendment is under "threat", is not absurd?.....

The Land of the Free happens to be the most violent society on the planet......I don't think the rest of us are missing anything.....

aAnd a skydive by a minor is banned, and a chocolate egg with a toy inside is also banned for being dangerous......

You Yanks do realise that the rest of the planet thinks you have your priorities slightly screwed.

Or do you.....

You need to look up "absurd" in the dictionary.....because clearly you don't really understand it at all....

And no, we are not afraid of our government......the power of the ballot trumps the power of the bullet.

Hows that for democracy....

You need to look up "absurd" in the dictionary.....because clearly you don't really understand it at all....

And no, we are not afraid of our government......the power of the ballot trumps the power of the bullet.

Absurd is you thinking I care what you think.

And ballots work great... Till they don't. Reference 1776 in the US.

You are used to being owned by your govt..... Most of the US does not agree with that.

***Absurd is you thinking I care what you think.

Yet you seem to gobble every bit of bait I throw out....

The rest of the planet has moved on a little bit since 1776.....

And your view of "my" government is a typical myopic US one. I suppose you think democracy was another great US invention.

Nothing is better than the good ol' USA....land of the free and home of the brave......and no one else counts.

Yet your whole "freedom of choice" option is completely hamstrung by fear of litigation. In my country we actually allow people to do things, based on an understanding of people taking responsibility for their own choices and actions.

We, at least, are not a "nanny" state.

Hence we have had many underage tandem riders who have jumped and enjoyed the experience.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Yet you seem to gobble every bit of bait I throw out....

Well, it seems the best you can bring is inane comments based in fantasy and only said to elicit a response... Most people call that trolling.

The rest of the planet has moved on a little bit since 1776.....

Yet the basic tenants never change... The difference between being your own man, and being owned.

Hence we have had many underage tandem riders who have jumped and enjoyed the experience.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. It is about free choice and personal responsibility. Shame you don't feel that extends to anything but underage tandems.... I don't agree with not allowing under age tandems... But our liberals feel that adults cannot make choices for their own children and must be protected.... Just like your view on guns.

Feel free to continue to try and bait and troll... Since you admitted that was your intent.

Guys - it's actually quite an interesting topic (underage kids jumping that is)

Can we keep the gun debate out, so the thread doesn't get locked/deleted?

Apparently not.... :S

No kidding.

Can you guys take the circle jerk and mutual ass licking to another thread.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Hm?

I guess my point was that the father can't get the kid interested enough in anything to be "passionate" yet he hasn't bothered to log back in to see responses either, so father can't be all that "passionate" about this either.

Of course he still hasn't logged back in and everyone's still talking to themselves...but the topic has shifted. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke