shortyj

Have you ever had the same person as a tandem? If so how many times?

The reason I ask is I have done 5 tandems with 5 different T.I.'s. I would like to do another one but I want to know the instructor feel comfortable with them. Also be able to hangout and ask questions, it just seems so rushed and its on to the next tandem I kinda feel like I'm at the doctors office. I have friends who are skydivers and they all tell me No MORE TANDEMS! Truth is I'm not ready to solo it yet. I do want a learning tandem though one out of my 5 was like that and I enjoyed it very much. Would you TI's find it annoying if I asked alot of questions like can u show me what a stowed brake looks like or about the canopy itself, where and when you start the legs for landing? I know you have a radio when you solo but I would like to have someone there to show me. Thoughts................
Playtime is essential.

I actually did 3 tandems before I started AFF. The last 2 was with the same TI (who ended up being one of my AFF-I) Because I told him I wanted to AFF, but really wanted to do 2 more tandems first (we did them back to back in the same day.) They spent extra time with me. I wore an altimeter, and was instructed to lock on at 6k and pull at 5,500... It was not exactly what you would call tandem progression, but I did get to pull, and helped with flaring for landing (along with the canopy ride down). Just tell them you do what to do AFF, just not yet, they wont mind spending extra time answering questions. And for what it is worth... Going solo is not as bad as you think it is going to be. You will do fine, and have HOURS of training before your first jump. I'm going to go with your friends and say do AFF... :)

My old DZ used to do a Tandem to AFF program. It was not unusual to take the same person on tandem training jumps 2 or 3 times. We even had 1 jumper who because of medical reasons could not jump solo so he had over 135 tandems and I took him more than 10 times. Any good tandem instructor should be more than happy to actually "teach" skydiving instead of just giving a "ride". Find one your comfortable with and let the questions fly!

I've taken a guy on his 11th tandem before. He had also done some tunnel time, but of those 11 only 3-4 were "learning" jumps. I was more than happy to teach him everything I could. You really just have to ask and if you don't get the response you like, then find another TI, or find another DZ. Maybe go during the week if they have that option when things are a little slower.

You said it best here, don't settle for a ride, it is your money!

I do want a learning tandem though one out of my 5 was like that and I enjoyed it very much.

Does the DZ or one in the area offer Static line or IAD (Instructor Assisted Deployment) as a means of learning? It is a little slower paced than AFF and you don't have to worry about the free fall/ deploying for yourself part right off the bat. You may want to check it out. I generally recommend the option if someone is not ready for the multi-tasking of AFF or needs to learn in smaller chunks.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Jessica, I clicked to see where you were located and you are in my neck of the woods. I am a female tandem instructor out of Franklin, Indiana. I have taken several people on multiple tandems because they request me and feel comfortable with me. I work in a small Cessna dropzone where we spend a lot of one on one time with our students. We completely welcome questions and offer you all of our time. We can't compete with big dz's with turbines, but we will always take all the time in the world with our students.

I am also an AFF instructor which also provides a smooth transition.

Let's get together sometime this winter for drinks - would love to have another female who is passionate about our sport.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

I've taken a guy on his 11th tandem before. He had also done some tunnel time, but of those 11 only 3-4 were "learning" jumps. I was more than happy to teach him everything I could. You really just have to ask and if you don't get the response you like, then find another TI, or find another DZ. Maybe go during the week if they have that option when things are a little slower.

You said it best here, don't settle for a ride, it is your money!

I do want a learning tandem though one out of my 5 was like that and I enjoyed it very much.

Does the DZ or one in the area offer Static line or IAD (Instructor Assisted Deployment) as a means of learning? It is a little slower paced than AFF and you don't have to worry about the free fall/ deploying for yourself part right off the bat. You may want to check it out. I generally recommend the option if someone is not ready for the multi-tasking of AFF or needs to learn in smaller chunks.

Oh and our dz still does static line as well as was suggestion in this post... and yes I am a static line instructor as well. :)
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Any good tandem instructor should be more than happy to actually "teach" skydiving instead of just giving a "ride". Find one your comfortable with and let the questions fly!

I agree. I mix up my routine a bit to keep things fresh and sometimes I do more pointing out the sights than teaching, but anyone who shows an interest in how the skydiving works or if they are on a second or subsequent tandem I do more to get them involved. We do turns in freefall, I make them fly the canopy, explain how wind works relative to which direction we are flying and the entire process of flying a landing pattern.

I encourage most people who are enthusiastic and physically capable to choose AFF as their next jump if they have a couple of tandems. It just makes sense to move on at that point and learn the skills.

Consider sitting the ground portion of the AFF course.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I used to have a passenger come out each year with a bunch of friends to do his annual tandem. He had no interest in learning to jump, just a once a year thrill ride for him. He always asked to go with me and tipped well, so I was quite happy to take him.

Different folks jump for different reasons. :)

Your best bet would be to contact Kim Mills (see above). She would be a great one to go to. She will answer all your questions and do everything she can to help you out.

Send her a private message and make arrangements to meet.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I have had the same students on multiple tandems. It's nice to be able to work a little more instruction into each jump.

I'm teaching at a smaller DZ where I'm happy to take students on up to 4 tandems before we switch over to freefall.

And, I pre-emptively call you an idiot if you don't take up Kim on her offer.

Go jump.

I've taken many students multiple times. If tandem looks like their only viable means of jumping, I ensure that each one is as fun as I can make it. But if they seem physically and mentally capable of solo jumps, I'm giving them a full blown lesson by jump 2 whether they ask for it or not. Actually, several years ago my routine was working tandems (student turns us in freefall, maintains altitude awareness, opens and flies the parachute) to AFF. I've also used tandems for remedial canopy control training several times. In short, its nevery been a problem, ask away. Most instructors like a student that's engaged and wants to learn.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Thanks so much. I still get crap from all skydiving friends saying I'm wasting my money and I just need to do it:|. I just want to be confident I can do it, I got some tunnel time that was very helpful, hope to get some more. There is just no way to "practice" canopy flight you just have to do it:)

Playtime is essential.

My Home DZ has students do two tandems and then move on to IAD if they themselves are ready.

First tandem is to simply have fun. Let go... arch... knees up to land. Most never come back for further training no matter how revved up they are to light the skydiving world on fire the day of there first jump. Sad but true.

Second tandem is more of a training jump with altitude checks, deployments, landing pattern etc.. A prep for ground school.

That being said, I have students return every year for more tandem fun knowing fully well they will never make a solo jump.

Good for the OP for knowing his/her comfort level and wanting more information and training before moving on.
Overkill is under rated.

I did two tandems and then went to do my solo jump (IAD), but slipped off the plane wing by accident, before my instructor gave me the sign to let go of the plane, and was so scared that I did one more tandem right after the jump before continuing on with my training. And the next day I did another IAD jump and it went well, I was more confident that time.

I was wearing a shirt that had holes for thumbs (I know, stupid) in it so when my feet went off the platform while holding onto the wing, my hands just slipped and I was just terrified, and definitely wasn't ready to do another solo until I had one more tandem jump. So do as many as you need, I know how you feel! :)