Deisel

UPT Rating W/O USPA Rating

So here are my questions;

If an individual has a UPT TM rating issued by a non-USPA examiner (but fully qualified and current UPT examiner), what forseable issues would exist?

What would it take to gain the USPA rating when already holding the UPT rating? A full course? Partial? Which parts?

Any thoughts or experience with this?

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

So here are my questions;

If an individual has a UPT TM rating issued by a non-USPA examiner (but fully qualified and current UPT examiner), what forseable issues would exist?

What would it take to gain the USPA rating when already holding the UPT rating? A full course? Partial? Which parts?

Any thoughts or experience with this?

D

I would think they would probably end up on the hook for a USPA D license and probably a partial (USPA) TI course. I would hit up Jim Crouch and ask his thoughts on the matter.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

As of October 2008, all tandems made by USPA Members or at USPA Group Member dropzones need to be made by a USPA rated Tandem Isntructor.

A Tandem Instructor with only a current manufacturer's rating can convert to a USPA Tandem Instructor rating very easily. He has to take the test, handle a few proficiency card requirements (depending on his USPA Instructional rating level), and pay the fee. It's just paperwork.

Most Examiners teaching a full course teach the USPA Tandem Instructor Rating Course and manufacturer's rating course together.

Edited to add: all Tandem Instructors with a manufacturers rating ONLY had to convert their rating to a USPA TAN/I rating before October 2008.
Arrive Safely

John

From USPA's Instructional Rating Manual 2012-2013 edition pg.151

"3. For persons with another USPA Instructor rating (current or expired), current tandem manufacturer rating recognized by the USPA, to convert a manufacturers rating to a USPA Tandem Instructor rating:

a. Must have logged at least 15 tandem jumps in the previous 12 months.
b. Must meet the manufacturer currency requirements for the previous 90-day period.
c. Completed item 10 on the USPA Tandem Instructor rating course proficiency card.
d. Provide proof of the manufacturers rating to USPA Headquarters, such as the tandem instructor rating card issued by each manufacturer.
e. Provide a copy of the USPA Tandem Instructor rating course proficiency card, medical certificate and
the rating fee to USPA Headquarters for processing.

4. For persons with no USPA rating, but hold a current tandem manufacturer rating recognized by the USPA, to convert a manufacturers rating to a USPA Tandem Instructor rating:

a. Must have logged at least 15 tandem jumps in the previous 12 months.
b. Must meet the manufacturer currency requirements for the previous 90-day period.
c. Earn the USPA Coach rating by attending the complete Coach course or testing out of the
Coach rating.
d. Completed items 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10 and 16 on the USPA Tandem Instructor rating course
proficiency card.
e. Provide proof of the manufacturers rating to USPA Headquarters, such as the tandem instructor rating card issued by each manufacturer.
f. Provide a copy of the USPA Tandem Instructor rating course proficiency card, medical certificate and
the rating fee to USPA Headquarters for processing."

Items 2-7,10, and 16 from the Tandem Instructor Rating Course Proficiency Card

2. Assisted in two Category B tandem ground preps
3. Assisted in two Category D ground preps
4. Observed ground preps in Categories B, C, E, and F.
5. Correctly taught freefall stability and basic freefall maneuvers, including freefall turns, backloops, barrel rolls, front loops, and tracking.
6. Prepared an effective canopy flight plan and provided ground-to-air (for example, radio) instruction for winds up to 14 mph.
7. Participated in the spotting and aircraft lessons from Categories D through H (or equivalent training).
10. Correctly answered at least 80% of the questions on the USPA Tandem Instructor Final Examination.
16. Completed one satisfactory Category D freefall and canopy training session and air evaluation during a Tandem Instructor Rating Course.

I hope this helps

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

A Tandem Instructor with only a current manufacturer's rating can convert to a USPA Tandem Instructor rating very easily.... blah blah etc....
... and pay the fee.

Well, THERE'S a surprise.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why did USPA initially get involved in issuing their own Tandem rating anyway, no rules or regulations in FAA Far Part 105.45 states anything about the requirement to hold the credentials from any sort of governing body, only tat the TM must have gone though the course offered by the manufacturer and hold their rating, and their tandem rating alone holds no merit, the bottom line is that it all comes down to whether or not you have the rating by the manufacturer of the rig you're jumping. they already have my money so i guess im allowed right now right? :P

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_105-45.html

Jump more, Bitch less.

The USPA TI rating is an instructional rating. It means that you have demonstrated the ability to teach and coach students on the ground and in the the air. With it, you can shepherd students through parts of the ISP and sign off on their progress.

The manufacturer's rating says you know which handles to pull.

Why did USPA initially get involved in issuing their own Tandem rating anyway, no rules or regulations in FAA Far Part 105.45 states anything about the requirement to hold the credentials from any sort of governing body, only tat the TM must have gone though the course offered by the manufacturer and hold their rating, and their tandem rating alone holds no merit, the bottom line is that it all comes down to whether or not you have the rating by the manufacturer of the rig you're jumping. they already have my money so i guess im allowed right now right? :P

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_105-45.html

Easy enough... Once the tandem was no longer "experimental,' the Tandem Manufacturers wanted out of the rating business (mounds of paperwork, tracking & time which the USPA already has a system for) and have the examiner train on the specific type so as to be in compliance with the FAR.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.