jf951

gopros and tandem students

If a seasoned TI can't fly a HC and fly a tandem, he should quit doing tandems. Does it increase the risk? YES. But it is MUCH more manageable than giving it to the student, and any TI with any skill should be able to pull it off.

Agreed, but as much as seeing T-Students wearing cameras bothers me, (a bit off topic here) worse IMHO is newley minted TI's wearing them. Again, I'm not a TI but I have a strong :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

worse IMHO is newley minted TI's wearing them.

Which is why at my DZ newly minted TI's are not allowed to wear HC. They can only do L2 tandems, tandems without video, or tandems that have outside video. This makes it very difficult for the newly minted TI's to get experience, but that is a small price to pay to make sure they are ready for the HC when they start jumping one.

In fact, I had maybe 800-1000 tandems on Strong and an old Sigma rating 10 years ago and they made me do 25 Tandems on Sigmas again before I was allowed to wear a HC.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

There are bigger fish to fry, for example tandem mills where students never get on a creeper, and whose training amounts to meeting their instructor at the running plane and being told arch arch arch banana banana.

Wow Doug it was like you were at my first tandem jump! :D BANANA!!!
Lovin every second of it!

Hi

You think wrong buddy.

The tandem pax is not a camera person not even a skydiver - he/her are a tandem pax -that's all.

You never know where he/her hands will travel with the camera & you never know how he/her will act during the tandem jump.

It is a snag point & nothing to compeer with an altimeter.

TI is a Ti - Pax is a Pax - Camera flyer is the Camera flyer = so simple !!!

Be Safe !!!

Stolen from a Camera Forums thread....

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=136116;

A picture is worth a bizillion words.

In this case the pic is misleading. The person geeking the cam is a very experienced TI/E, 9000+ jumps and this is a jump done at a TI course! Heh, heh!
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

In this case the pic is misleading. The person geeking the cam is a very experienced TI/E, 9000+ jumps and this is a jump done at a TI course! Heh, heh!

So, you're saying even an experienced TI/E with over 9K jumps can't exit correctly because of the camera distraction? Wow, this is worse than I imagined. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."