stratostar

Skydiving employee fined by FAA

Bill Dause is single handedly causing irreversible damage to our sport, and since he is not a USPA Member dropzone there is little USPA can do about him.

Lets face it, even if it was a USPA-GMDZ... What could they do? Tell him to stop, terminate his GM?

That wouldn't even get ME to shake in my boots.

I just hope the FAA sees that the rest of the industry isn't well represented by that operation and reacts accordingly.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Dear ShotterMg,

You are being a bit harsh on Robin Heid.
We worked together - at Hemet, California - back during the 1990s.
Robin is thorough and professional. He is also one of the few analysts in the skydiving business.

Robin once told me that "every army/DZ/etc. needs three kinds of people: operators, logistics and analysts."
Operators just want to get out there and kill something. The vast majority of skydivers/TIs?etc. are mere operators.
Logistics ensure that operators have enough beans and bullets ... er ... airplanes and parachutes to accomplish the mission.
Lastly, DZs need a few analysts to ensure that operations are done in the most efficient manner, with the fewest beans expended and the fewest casualties.

I agree with Robin that fat and infirm students should be side-tracked to allow extra time for ground school, harness adjustment, etc.

One of Robin's most entertaining traits is his ability to advance one side of debate in a most entertaining manner.
Hah!
Hah!

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

What about scared people? I have seen scared people do things that make tandem skydives much more dangerous than being a few pounds overweight or having a few years under your belt.

If you can't deal with scared people becoming professional tandem-instructor seems like an unwise carreer-move IMO :)

I mean, by the time you actually prepare to get out of the plane you either have established enough trust in you and your professionalism or there is someone in front of you that physically wrestles away from the door...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

The lady's harness was not put on on correctly or checked. I only have 60 jumps but you don't need even one to see that. Even if the TI had ten million jumps he fucked up big on that one and got extraordinarily lucky. There are a ton of idiots doing all types of things they aren't suited for, skydiving has an above average number of them.

Experience is not nearly as important as paying attention to WTF you are doing. I'd take a brand new TI who pays attention over some skydick with a gagillion jumps any day.

Experience is not nearly as important as paying attention to WTF you are doing. I'd take a brand new TI who pays attention over some skydick with a gagillion jumps any day.

Very well said. Jump numbers don't fix stupid.

......................................................................................

That is why the better airlines match senior captains (experience and cunning) with junior co-pilots ( keen eye-sight and fast reflexes).

Unfortunately, tandems are single-crew operations, so we need instructors who are both experienced and bright.

IOW: old and bored is the worst combination for a TI.