jtiflyer

NEW UPT Tandem waiver video...

Me wearing a helmet will never give a student any amount of protection.

I cannot hear students very well with a decent helmet on, but I do have some friends that tell me one with open ears of some sort tend to work much better.

I'm not opposed to wearing a helmet, and I do tend to wear one.
I just don't find it necessary.

Me wearing a helmet will never give a student any amount of protection.

I cannot hear students very well with a decent helmet on, but I do have some friends that tell me one with open ears of some sort tend to work much better.

I'm not opposed to wearing a helmet, and I do tend to wear one.
I just don't find it necessary.

If the helmet protects the T-I, it makes things safer for the Student.

Again, all I am saying is there is no safety reason not too. I too have not worn one, but that is maybe around 5 out of 2500 Tandem Jumps.

Strong was the only Manufacturer to require helmets of any kind, may still do.

I do not think they need to be mandatory, but still recommend them for Young T-I's, once they have experience (say 500~Tandem Jumps), they should have dealt with most all the craziness, and can do what ever is comfortable to them.

Matt

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

how easy is it to hear a pilot telling you not to go (or anything for that matter) with a hard helmet on?

Or have a conversation with your student?

Not to hard at all, I have been in the door and the pilot has yelled back to me (Caravan, Otter, Casa) and stopped the exit, on the C-182/206 They just tap ya.

There really is not REAL reason not to wear a helmet for you and your Students Protection.

Matt

I never had any difficulty hearing pilots or students or other TIs while wearing an open-face, hard-shell helmet.
I usually wear soft foam ear plugs to slow down loss of hearing. Hint: I have sat in the front of C-130s and Twin Otters long enough that my doctor has told me that I have already lost some hearing.

The brain bucket may save my life in a hard landing. Yeah, I know it doesn't look as cool as the guys that go without, but FUCK THEM, I 'd rather not die from a head injury in a hard landing. Let them roll away in their wheel chairs. And I put a frap hat on the student so they don't head-butt me on exit. I may not be "cool" but I think I'll live.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

HUH???
:P

Maybe that's part of the problem. My problem.
Too many hot rods, harley's, concerts, firepower, skydives.
:P
I usually wear one. I'm personally comfortable with not wearing one on Sigma jumps. With some effort on body position at opening a Strong as well, but I prefer not to, and they do require them to be in compliance. I have been bloodied by Strong risers before on my neck and ears.

My favorite was students trying to stand up halfway out the door and slamming my head into the door frame!

+1

how easy is it to hear a pilot telling you not to go (or anything for that matter) with a hard helmet on?

I have no problem in larger aircraft, they will also turn the red light on. Smaller aircraft the pilot just taps me on my shoulder.

Or have a conversation with your student?

After takeoff, above seatbelts off altitude I take it off and put it on just prior to the door being opened. Plenty of time to talk.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I do not think they need to be mandatory, but still recommend them for Young T-I's, once they have experience (say 500~Tandem Jumps), they should have dealt with most all the craziness, and can do what ever is comfortable to them.

^This.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

"

Me wearing a helmet will never give a student any amount of protection. ...

"

I disagree!
My helmet protects my students against their greatest risk: high speed impact with the planet!

Helmets help keep me awake enough to pull handles.

Last time I checked ... the primary function of a TI was to pull enough handles ... in the correct sequence.
If a student slams my head into the door-frame - hard enough to daze me - I will be useless at pulling handles.
The dozens of scratches on my helmet attest to the number of times students have tried to slam my head into the door-frames of Beech 18s, Caravans, Dorniers, King Airs, Maules, Navajos, Porters, Queen Airs, Twin Otters, Westwinds, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFVINO-BqCw&feature=youtu.be

fresh up on youtube. I really like some of the new points they added.

Guess UPT is sending copies to SIGMA owners

I can't believe Shah hasn't chimed in on this thread, yet. He must be sick or something. I'll have to do it for him. Miss Purple Hair is hot! NFW she's a noob Tandem Bunny, either. Yeah... She bangs B|.

Get well soon, Shah.

I have no problem in larger aircraft, they will also turn the red light on. Smaller aircraft the pilot just taps me on my shoulder.

what about midsized craft like say a king air that has no lights?

I personally can't hear my students when I wear a helmet. Not hard of hearing at all, there is just a good amount of padding that buffers what I can hear.

I can see both sides of the helmet issue, but still jump without it.

I sure her husband in the video appreciates the compliment.
Don't be an ass hat.

Complimenting a lady with a touch of respect is generally received in a more favorable fashion.

Just sayin'

Lighten up, brother. Just having a little fun. I'm sure both she & her hubby would chuckle if they saw it.

The King Air I jump from has lights, a guess some might not. If the issue is really that you can't hear the pilot if he wants you to abort, then everyone would be up in arms about experienced jumpers jumping with helmets on and not being able to hear the pilot. Same difference.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

The King Air I jump from has lights, a guess some might not. If the issue is really that you can't hear the pilot if he wants you to abort, then everyone would be up in arms about experienced jumpers jumping with helmets on and not being able to hear the pilot. Same difference.

nah just saying i have trouble hearing in general when i wear my helmets. I personally don't really see the need for one for tandems. Just my choice