oozzee

Tandem double mal

@D8055:

Since you're the rigger in this case, I can see you'd be a bit pissed at the thread title!

"Zero" airspeed? Hell, flying backwards with line twists, and using a skyhook, he had that reserve deploying well infront of him with a nice little tailwind. No wonder the Sigma tandem reserve rocked.

(The video shows him basically vertical during the deployment, but he can't do much about that when using an RSL/Skyhook from stable flight. The bag slides past the back of his helmet since he has arched. The student's knees are up during the chop. Chopping while flying backwards is an interesting situation, when thinking about standard rules on arching and stability, plus situations where the reserve opening time and method varies between Skyhook, RSL only, or manual reserve activation...)

When I refer to "zero Airspeed" I'm talking about vertical. The kind that increases opening speed. Chopping from a good canopy, even with line twists, is harder to deploy than helo or balllon jumps... and with the Skyhook, there iss deffinately no delay to help out! I'm merely pointing out that such openings tend take longer than normal and may give one the sense that something was not functioning properly. Thats why I checked several reports from the ground, which gave no indication that the opening was anything but normal... if there is such a critter!

I agree with you mike there was no double mal, man there wasn't even a main mal, ozzy brad should have done his job with the main butt didn't. Mike your reseve openned fine, OZZY Brad is WRONG. You are still going to pack my reserves regaurdles of what was said here you are a great rigger" I'll jump you Reserves any day" with no worries

This is exactly why I don't like to use those Icarus/Precision type canopies. They open in full fight with no brakes on. It's very difficult to get rid of line twists on a canopy in this flight mode. Line twists like this are no problem to fix on a canopy with deployment brakes.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

It's very difficult to get rid of line twists on a canopy in this flight mode. Line twists like this are no problem to fix on a canopy with deployment brakes.

I wouldn't say very difficult, just a different technique. Just stand up straight.

The last time I had line twists I asked the student to stand up and did our handcam post-freefall interview while we untwisted.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Hmmm, like to see how that is supposed to really work. I have never chopped line twist yet, but I have come down very tired from fighting my way out of them.
So since you seem to think you have some magic technique please explain how it is. Suppose to work. So you justt stand straight up and the canopy magicaly fixes itself. In my experiience the canopy stays in ine twist pointing down wind, but hey I only have 2700 tandems so what the hell do I. Know
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Hmmm, like to see how that is supposed to really work. I have never chopped line twist yet, but I have come down very tired from fighting my way out of them.
So since you seem to think you have some magic technique please explain how it is. Suppose to work. So you justt stand straight up and the canopy magicaly fixes itself. In my experiience the canopy stays in ine twist pointing down wind, but hey I only have 2700 tandems so what the hell do I. Know

"I jump Sigmas. One day I had line twists similar to yours that I couldn't untwist. I would start to untwist, get 90 degrees and turn back towards the rear again. Shit, gonna have to chop.

Then I realized that the passenger's legs were sticking out like a weather vane. We'd get sideways and the wind from our canopy's forward speed would push us around backwards. I told him to tuck his legs back between mine. From there we were able to untwist normally.

I hope this experience of mine may be useful to others in future line twist situations."

JohnMitchell

"Second that,
jump sigmas with 330's and the top tip from my examiner I still use to this day is to get the student to basically cross their arms and arch. TM to do like wise besides crossing arms no input just let it unwind, has worked for me several times. Obviously this doesn't suit all and every occasion, but with a square canopy above me and over a 1000 tandems have never had to kick out of a tandem line twist yet."

freeflymat

"Yes! I had the same experience on an Icarus 330. Thought I was gonna have to chop too but then realized the same thing. Since it opens it full flight we were facing backwards because of our wind vaning knees. As we tried to kick out we would get 90 degrees and the wind just pushed us back to the starting point. I've learned the "stand up" technique where I ask the student to stand up like they are doing a toothpick jump into a pool. Sure enough, we began spinning out of the twists immediately!"

Me

"Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see many of us are figuring out those line twists. Isn't it weird to have such an "Ah Ha!"moment under a line twisted canopy with 200 pounds of person on the front?

I've tried to spread the word on my experiences with this, but haven't been very successful. Maybe all of us in this forum talking about it will help."

JohnMitchell

Did you read the rest of the thread? Doesn't sound that magical does it? Did you miss the part where we were talking about tandem canopies that open in full flight? I'm sorry your experience differs from the rest of us, but go ahead and stay with your obviously superior technique. I'll enjoy not being stuck in line twists.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52