scooterskydives

Smaller TI's shooting Handycam

.... after all my years of jumping I have finally found something that I can say is really challenging being a smaller female tandem master, and that is the length of my arms and shooting handycam. I am using a Chutingstar GoPro glove. I wish there was a go go gadget extension. Someone please invent one... lol

So, have any others of you found this harder and what did you do..?
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP

.... after all my years of jumping I have finally found something that I can say is really challenging being a smaller female tandem master, and that is the length of my arms and shooting handycam. I am using a Chutingstar GoPro glove. I wish there was a go go gadget extension. Someone please invent one... lol

So, have any others of you found this harder and what did you do..?

Simple: Use outside video instead.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You can offset your upper body a little to the left, either by pushing off the student with your arms, or by spinning hard to the left. It makes a pretty good difference when you add a few inches this way.

My arms are pretty long, but I learned this trick from a friend who's more vertically challenged. I use it when I'm taking big guys and I want their whole body in the shot.

Chris

:)
After you buy it please STOP doing tandems. ;)

A TI should stay a TI & the camera work should be done by a Camera flyer.

It is not the size of the Handycam but what it takes away from your main duty = TI only.

IMO as a UPT/USPA T I/E.

Cheers

I intend to never do handycam... we will see how long that lasts though :D

How are you holding your arm out? How does the shot look?

I have seen go pro extensions, however there's no way in hell I'd ever suggest one of those for a TI doing handycam. :S

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

seems like starting with a stupid idea (handcam while facilitating a tandem skydive) and adding a stupid idea (extending the device causing a snag point and really interfering with dexterity quite a bit too).

but at least the tandem student knows enough to know that its a dangerous idea :S

I don't actually put it on the student, that was sarcasm. But if I did, yes I would charge them for it. The camera isn't free and the editor needs to get paid too. If they want to bring their own $1000 worth of go pros and gloves, then sure I would let them shoot their own video for free.

If they want to bring their own $1000 worth of go pros...

That is a freeflier's amount of GoPros...for what I paid for mine that would be a total of 5!

All of this discussion and no one has suggested attaching one to the bottom of the drogue. Then you'd get any sized TI in frame with out having to have one a GoPro taped to the end of a broom handle...

;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That is a freeflier's amount of GoPros...for what I paid for mine that would be a total of 5!

All of this discussion and no one has suggested attaching one to the bottom of the drogue. Then you'd get any sized TI in frame with out having to have one a GoPro taped to the end of a broom handle...

;)

Too much shake in the video. :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

;)

Too much shake in the video. :)

Soooo...just like a handicam?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Soooo...just like a handicam?

Nope, WAY worse.

Being a video guy, I say get outside video.

Being a TI, I say get outside video. :D:D

I am not sure how short you are but one of the best handicam instructors I know is 5'8" tall. I know that a lot of skydivers feel handicam is horrible and there are a lot of examples that prove that statement; however handicam can look realy good and is a true art form to do well. As another has stated stretch your arm and extend your shoulder too. Also a really good lens helps if you are useing a sony camcorder, I found the Century Mark II .3 is extremely clear and great clariity
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I intend to never do handycam... we will see how long that lasts though :D

Tandem video is a job.
You can let the outside guy do HIS job, or you can do your own student hand job.
:D:D

I know that a lot of skydivers feel handicam is horrible....

The only one's who like handcam are the ones getting paid to do it.

I know that a lot of skydivers feel handicam is horrible....

The only one's who like handcam are the ones getting paid to do it.

DZO's who operate 182's and can keep expenses and retail prices lower because of them like them.

Students who can't afford a full video package like them.

Everyone who reaps a benefit from more DZ exposure because of the product like them.

TI's who haven't seen a raise in this industry for 20 years like them.

TI's who are tired of having to put up with shit head 300 jump wonders hammering into them just because they are the only ones who will do video for crap pay and no product standards, like them.

Stop crucifying those that have developed the skill, and have approached the activity with safety first and foremost in mind.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.