jerry81

Side-spin video

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about this recovery?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET9jfZtcQsU

That video must be almost 10 years old. It was shot at skydive Hutchinson (long closed) and the tandem I has been out of the sport almost as long.

So its not relevant ? who cares who and where.......it was an illistration of a great recovery job...:S

Didn't say anything about that, just commenting on seeing a jumer I haven't see for a while at an old DZ I used to jump at.
maybe you should re-read your tag line......
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Side spin, drouge side up throw the drouge, drouge side down dump the reserve.

What it the logic of dumping the reserve instad of giving drogue a chance? Both could entangle, so starting with drogue would make more sense to me. You would still have the "reserve option" left.

On the side-spin DVD from Strong they lean towards going for the drogue, saying that the reserve has still a very good chance of going cleanly past the entangled (with leg/hand) drogue. Has anything changed since the time this DVD was made?

If the drouge is thrown with a drouge side down side spin, it has a high chance of entangling with a part of the jumpers, you then have to fire a reserve past a drouge possibly while still in a side spin. If the reserve is deployed it is going past less body and if it does entangle you have the free bag so the reserve itself still has a very good chance of deploying.

It's been quite afew years since I've seen the side spin video but from the start of the spin you have about 10 seconds before black out occurs so you don't have much time to do anything let alone trying to stop the spin. It's not an easy job on a tandem with a flailing student on the front.

If in doubt dump your reserve and get a canopy out.

Is the TI is trying to fly head down on exit?

That's what I said... Sure looks like it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Looks to me that passenger harness isn't fitted properly and probably had something to do with side spin starting in the first place.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Side spin, drouge side up throw the drouge, drouge side down dump the reserve.

What it the logic of dumping the reserve instad of giving drogue a chance? Both could entangle, so starting with drogue would make more sense to me. You would still have the "reserve option" left.

In a side spin, and going tandem terminal, you are going way into the red zone. If the TM doesn`t have the smarts, or skill, to stop the spin, he is in big trouble. First priority is to stop the freefall.

This is best achieved by dumping the reserve. It is for use in an emergency, and a side spin going terminal, definitely qualifies as an emergency.

It is not the time to start pissing about finding the drogue.

No question about that.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....