skydiverek

After the 'grandma' video: tandem jump numbers over the Memorial weekend in the USA

Please read the below BEFORE voting.

I wonder howe the 'grandma tandem video' influenced the potential first time tandem students. The video surfaced on May 22rd, so the question is: on May 21st, did you expect more, fewer, or same number of tandems to be done on your USA DZ over the memorial weekend? Mention the weather too, since it is also part of the equation.

While you have good contributions on DZ, the question posed now seems overly specific and I'm not sure how well it captures things Lodi-granny related.

Expected more on Memorial Day weekend compared to the weekend before, or last year's M.D. weekend? And do you mean did the actual numbers compare to what you expected?

The video did seem to surface about the 22nd, but it was just before the weekend that it really went viral. I did start to get questions about it from a couple whuffo friends on the weekend. But I think for those planning ahead for a first jump, it'll only be next weekend onwards (June 2 +) where there's any chance for a change to happen.

It would be instructive to chat with DZ staff who answer phones in the next weeks, to see whether it comes up in conversation at all. Who knows, but I did tell manifest at the DZ I'm at, that maybe they should know what answers to give if harness related questions start to be asked.

(I was once at a small DZ that had just had a triple fatality involving a friend. Although everyone was in a somber mood, we still joked about what to say on the phone. "Only lost 3 last month!")

I'm interested to see how much it actually has effected tandem operators worldwide. As a newbie fun jumper I have had several friends and family (all wuffos) who have seen the video talk to me about it (presumably expecting I know everything about it because I jump on the weekends). Even after explaining to them that it was an isolated incident caused by negligance and is not routine in any sense; there opinions were still tainted.

It was broadcasted nationally here in Australia on several mediums so i would assume there would be a lot of tainted opinions on skydiving in amongst wuffos right now... Wether that trickles through to DZ operations I couldnt say but there would have to be some effect.

Hey,

I see where you are going with this but I couldnt answer the poll. I will tell you that every single passenger I took this whole weekend was talking about it. I will tell you that I had to reassure every single passenger I would not let them fall out, I will tell you it was a serious blow to our sport.
The numbers were probably close but I also spoke to spectators who said after that video they will never go. Not good.

I also received an email from a group cancelling over half because they backed out, directly because of that video. I received another email wanting us to disclose our safety record before they will book with us as a direct result of the video.

That video was the main topic of conversation on every flight instead of how to come back and make a training tandem or even better how to get certified.

In my time in this sport I have rarely seen something effect us so fast and so wide spread.

Yip, discussed at work here in Oz. The funny part is nobody believed me that Lodi is a 'dodgy' dz and has been subjected to FAA fines. They reckon that could never happen in the US.

Something I don't like is the way at least one dz has publicly stated that due to APF rules it could NEVER happen here.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

In my time in this sport I have rarely seen something effect us so fast and so wide spread.

Only within the past 3-5 years have we had the social media explosion that we have today with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, et al. Not so long ago, that would have not made it past this site or just been on the 11 oclock news in its local area. Now, any video that gets a few 100K hits within a few minutes is on every news outlet and Tosh.0.
When it first hit, the link that was on this site was "no longer available" but lo and behold two of my skydiving friends had it on their facebook with the "check this out!" under it, one news agency carries a story on a slow news day, everyone else picks it up and puts their spin on it and we're off to the races. Of course the video was a sight to behold so it might have exploded anyway.

i expected fewer, but the same number still shows up.

they talk about it, and they'll ask about it.
I'll tell them that is what happens if you don't arch out of the door.

people will still jump regardless of the video they watch.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016