mircan

Tandem jump goes to sh*t...

Apart from....

That is truly horrible, so close to a fatality.
She obviously didn't want to jump, why force her?
Were the laterals tightened properly?
Who in their right mind let this video public?

I hope she got her money back and then some.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Somebody linked it on the FB, and I was surprised it didn`t show up earlier... [:/]

I`m a fresh TM but I mostly do video. While I was watching this it for the first time I was just thinking what would I do? As videographer?

As TI, I would not jump. It was pretty obvious this person don`t want to either.

dudeist skydiver #42

DAMN! Well, I remember a couple months ago USPA released an advisory about an elderly female passenger who almost fell out of the harness... I guess you just found it>:(B|

It was UPT, USPA just passed it along

The only saving grace is he gets the drogue out. The way it was starting to spin up is very reminiscent of the (Finnish?) fatality that is featured on Strong's Side Spin video, where the laterals weren't tightened sufficiently and the separation between the instructor and student caused them to spin (until impact as they blacked out and there was no AAD fitted).

Goosebumps just watching this :/ The harness could of been perfectly adjusted and still had this happen the way she was basically sitting down and sliding out of the harness in the door with the TI standing up. If this lady had been a family member of mine I would have kicked that TI's a$$ upon seeing the video.

Oh My God!!!!!

there was MAYBE a 3 chances outta TEN , likelihood of that event finishing off... safely...[:/]

very relieved for the TM.. that he got her safely to the ground..:|

MY pulse is racing,, i bet the same for the video person and the TM...

yikes....

NOT everybody who "thinks" they wanna skydive... SHOULD skydive..imho

jt

I really did not think she was going to stay in the harness at deployment.

Is it legal to force a tandem student out the door if they decide they don't want to jump (even if its already jump run)? How about the waivers still being valid when the jumper is no longer participating at will and being forced out the door?

Had she died, a wuffo would have viewed her actions at the door as she did not want to jump and she changed her mind.

I think it is amusing to watch a student being pushed or pulled (aff) of the aircraft, al beit I am not so sure how smart it is to post it online. There could have been some stock footage thrown on there right to the point they roll out the door.

I did a search but could not find reference to THIS!

Any comments?

Yes... "Video not available in your country" I wonder why? Any music along? If yes, the royalty fee grabbing authority is behind this.
Anyone knows an alternative source?
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

apart from the very, very, very scary freefall (holy fucking shit!):
no proper suit for the passenger, no head protection, flimsy shoes...... but thats just for starters.....

then: why would a TI want to make a standing exit with an elderly pax????? have her sit on your lap and roll out of the door - especially in a plane with a huge door like this

why TF didn't the videoguy shove them back in or block the door? there was plenty of time to signal the TI a big fucking NO! at least that is what I would do as a videoperson.... no chance for lucky heroism in freefall

as soon as she tried to back in he should have broken off the exit. as long as no limbs are outside you always have the opportunity and also the DUTY to stay in the plane should a pax make clear he doesn't want to jump.... and that lady clearly dind't want to go

I am truly amazed that people pull off stunts like these in suehappy america....

edit to add: the ability to jump tandems is not about getting the drogue out, deploy the main and land safely. thats only the small part. the bigger and more important one (i guess thats the real basics) is about knowing when to make the right decisions with his individual passenger - be it on the ground, on the way to alti in the plane or in freefall. this TI clearly forgot the basics :|

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I bet they will have the y-mod added by now

Yeah, did you catch the name of the DZ at the beginning of the video? That's the same DZO flew 1000's of loads, with 20+ jumpers per load, on timed-out control cables and airframe inspections on his Otter. You really think this will get his attention when only one person was at risk?

WOOOOOW, scary. can someone save this vid before it is pulled down ?

As a videoman I don't know what I would have done during the jump, but I would for sure have deleted the references to the DZ on the video [:/]

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

why TF didn't the videoguy shove them back in or block the door? there was plenty of time to signal the TI a big fucking NO! at least that is what I would do as a videoperson....

he was too busy trying to grab the passenger's hands so she would stop grabbing the plane :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I don`t know why it`s banned, but here is Sendspace link

Thank you very much for helping.
Watched it and ... what else to say: Had it been my mum (one year younger only) I would have kicked the shite out of this fartknocker TI. Where to start... first of all she made it more than clear that she didn't want to jump and he forcibly shoved her out.

OMG I hope his license gets punched! >:(

first of all she made it more than clear that she didn't want to jump and he forcibly shoved her out.

Exactly, where is the standard of care?

If I was walking into a building, and an elderly woman was also approaching, wouldn't you stop and hold the door for her? How about if she was 20 ft behind you, wouldn't you stand there longer to wait for her than you would a young, fit person? I know I would.

Ditto for a tandem. When a young, fit pax is looking out the door saying, 'Oh my god, oh my god' or even 'I don't know if I can do this, I don't know if I can do this', maybe then you push on through with the exit and leave the aircraft. If the same student has a hand on the door frame to steady themselves (people aren't used to being strapped to anyone), then you pull their hand in and place it on their harness.

When you have an elderly passenger who is repeatedly saying 'No', and physically pushing back from the door frame, you have to recognize that and stand down. Even if you take a go-around and see if they want to reconsider, you simply can't just shove them out of the plane.

The fact is that elderly passengers are more likely to suffer injury just based on the reduction of strength and flexibility, and the reduction of bone mass that comes with age. Due to this, their complete cooperation becomes even more critical to making an injury-free jump, and a TI needs to take these things into account.

Shit, just bouncing her shin off the door frame could have been eough for a tib-fib fracture, and at that age there's no guarantee that it will ever heal. What will leave a monster bruise on a 25 year old could leave an injury on a 75 year old that will last the rest of their days. Ever see a 75 year old on crutches? Most of them son't have the strength to use crutches, so the lady would have been relegated to a wheelchair for the rest of her days.

One lesson I learned a long time ago is that skydiving isn't for everyone.

I did a search but could not find reference to THIS!

Any comments?

Yes... "Video not available in your country" I wonder why? Any music along? If yes, the royalty fee grabbing authority is behind this.
Anyone knows an alternative source?

A good Workaround for this problem is to use a proxy. For example in firefox, install an add on called stealthy and you can then contact youtube via proxy from a country of your choice.

For example in firefox, install an add on called stealthy and you can then contact youtube via proxy from a country of your choice.

I have been a devoted Opera user for many years and thus had to do some search.
(Yes, I wanted to do so before but now I felt motivated enough.)

I came across YouTubeUnblocker and it also works with Opera (see pic attached), heh heh! B| (Also works with Firefox, Chrome and Safari.)
If anyone needs help with installing it on Opera, just drop me a PM.

I second your thoughts. Skydiving isn't for everyone and if someone doesn't want to or changes their mind just keep sitting. It's a sign a politeness to respect such a wish (and to "guard" such a passenger in the hangar.)

I dunno why a TI forcibly drags a student out the door. The vid is a little grainy at that period of time but it seems the TI even sort of looks "amused" about his wildly thrashing and resisting old lady passenger. Maybe - especially in our way-too-often testosteron-driven sport - he was afraid his fellow TIs would make phun of him not to be able to "get that old lady out the door"? I dunno and hope this wasn't his motive.

Old passengers are a challenge, yes. I'm pretty glad I didn't have very fragile old people yet. My eldest passenger so far has been a nice lady aged 75. She was remarkably fit for her age but I told her that we need to take extra care with her and I triple-checked her harness. If she had shown that she had changed her mind I would have remained in the plane with her and I talked about this opportunity with her - as I do with all students(*). We did some more ground training, especially landing and I assisted her a little (lifted her legs with mine a little) but she did fairly well, better than some younger buffalo hips... See pics attached, she enjoyed the ride.

(*) "Whenever you clearly tell me you don't wanna jump and confirm my question if ya really don't wanna do, I will respect your wish - which might take more bravery than actually jump - and stay with you and ride down in the plane with you. The money will be blown, though. That OK with you?"

Perhaps one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Without having been there, it's hard to say that in fact the passenger was saying no or just resisting/complaining. HOWEVER it is certainly obvious that the harness was not properly fit to the customer and left loose & unadjusted prior to exit. NOT EVEN CLOSE! The extra Y strap would only have made this scenario slightly less scary. The fact that this poor woman survived is nothing short of a miracle. The Instructor made several egregious errors, all painfully obvious on that living nightmare of a video. 1) Equipment fitting & re-checking. 2) Final re-checking of harness just prior to exit. 3) Verifying passenger compliance. 4) Delaying efforts to grab, leg lock or whatever else you might think of. Kudos to the Video guy for making some effort.

Perhaps one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Without having been there, it's hard to say that in fact the passenger was saying no or just resisting/complaining. HOWEVER it is certainly obvious that the harness was not properly fit to the customer and left loose & unadjusted prior to exit. NOT EVEN CLOSE! The extra Y strap would only have made this scenario slightly less scary. The fact that this poor woman survived is nothing short of a miracle. The Instructor made several egregious errors, all painfully obvious on that living nightmare of a video. 1) Equipment fitting & re-checking. 2) Final re-checking of harness just prior to exit. 3) Verifying passenger compliance. 4) Delaying efforts to grab, leg lock or whatever else you might think of. Kudos to the Video guy for making some effort.

This whole jump is just FUBAR but she may have not been saying no. I kind of thought it looked like she was having an issue with her legs. It almost seemed as though they kind of got stuck under her. Only her and that TI will know what really happened but one thing is for sure... that exit should have never happened! If I were the vidiot on that jump I would have had a hard time not trying to do something before the exit but he deserves kudos for trying to help in the air. I still cannot believe what I just watched.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com