stcktm

Tm's and depression

Not a Dr.......

Try therapy without medication.

If that does not work.... Then the AOPA is a good resource.

This is one more reason that the USPA requiring an aviation medical is stupid.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

What's your sexdrive like, no-homo?

You could have low testosterone. Your test will naturally decline as you age, but if it dropped off too fast/ too early depression is one of the symptoms.

Do your own research and check it out. It is a very treatable condition.

http://lowtestosteronesymptoms.org/

What's your sexdrive like, no-homo?

You could have low testosterone. Your test will naturally decline as you age, but if it dropped off too fast/ too early depression is one of the symptoms.

Do your own research and check it out. It is a very treatable condition.

http://lowtestosteronesymptoms.org/

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

First off, I am not a real doctor, just a dentist.

Get a general physical first and tell your physician you have been a "liitle rundown lately." He/she can check for all sorts of hidden physical problems that may be manifesting as depression. It may be as simple as a change in diet/excersize to make things better. Or some low-grade longterm infection that needs treatment. Eliminate the physical first.

Also, in general, a physical is not a bad idea.

Jump more, post less!

This is a normal phase of life that many of us have been through, so don't think that you invented it. If you would like to talk, I am willing to pitch in a free counseling session. This is what I do.

Completely confidential.

Please PM me or call or email.

I am here for you.
Brian
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

My question is: as i am a tm if i was to go and get an official diagnosis etc could this jeopardise my rating/medical/job?

I'm posting this on an anonymous account also because of the sensitive nature of the subject.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

All of these armchair medical professionals will never know what it is really like to have depression. All of their advice is all well and dandy for situational depression, but from your brief description that is not the case. Vitamin D, get in the sun, structure, blah blah blah. Depression is a real medical condition resulting from chemical imbalances that is treatable and you can live a happy normal life with treatment. You can continue to be an instructor with the possibility to be a better instructor than half of the people here giving ignorant opinions on your medical condition.

Now to answer your question. An official diagnosis in itself will not prevent you from getting your class 3 medical. Now, reporting this diagnosis to the FAA will jeopardize getting your medical.

Now for my opinion and what I did myself. I'm not suggesting you do this but this is what I did. I started out seeing a therapist who recommended an anti-depressant. I then went to my doctor and was prescribed said medication. It has done wonders for me and I lead a "normal" life. I've been on the medication for over 4 years now with no ill effects. For my flight medical I fail to mention my depression or medication. I also do not list the prescribing doctor as my physician so that if they start looking into my medical history it will be difficult or impossible to find. Again, I do not suggest doing this, and the consequences of this could blow up in my face one day, but I am able to continue to hold my flight medical. I also consider myself to be a safer instructor than many of the "normal" instructors that I meet.

There are many out there like us but probably won't post anything like this to avoid ridicule.

Good luck,

HealthyTI

to be a better instructor than half of the people here giving ignorant opinions on your medical condition.

The original poster asked for advice and opinions.

None of the respondents claimed to be an expert.

Some of the advice given was good.

I hope, IF what YOU are doing DOES blow up in your face one day, it doesn't blow up in someone elses face as well.

That is all.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I'm posting this on an anonymous account also because of the sensitive nature of the subject.

There are many out there like us but probably won't post anything like this to avoid ridicule

Your anonymity, or others reluctance to post are probably due to the fact that lying or omitting info on an FAA medical form is a federal crime with potentially severe consequences.

Funny story, I did a quick google search to see just what the consequences would be, and I happened upon this article - http://www.iflyamerica.org/truth_or_dare.asp
- which has an example of a pilot on an anti-depressant who thinks that it's OK to omit that from his meical form becasue he thinks it makes him a safer pilot. Sounds familiar, no?

It has done wonders for me and I lead a "normal" life.

So in your instance, lying & cheating are healthy, good... and part of a 'normal' life? :D

I'm no medical expert, but I do feel that there is problem with people that need meds, who feel they need to deceive people who place their lives those hands.

It's a catch 22 I know, but ever think maybe there is a REASON you're not supposed to lie about that stuff...and that reason has nothing to do with YOU?!

Your self proclaimed selfish disregard of federal requirements speaks for itself, encouraging others to do the same is fuckin' scary.

Don't ever claim to be a 'better' instructor than someone else, professionalism is a key part of being an instructor...that's missing here.

So we know you don't disclose to the feds as you are supposed to, how about your employer or your student /passengers?

Don't they have, if nothing else... the 'moral' right to know?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What 'Twardo said is right on. It's someone else's life that is going to be gambled with, and it's the sign of an out of control ego that a person would think themselves fit to judge acceptable that the law has prohibited.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It appears that in Australia a pilot only needs to be stable on the medication for 28 days before resuming flying duties, unlike the US 1 year. That's a very progressive policy, based on a decade of research they did. (There are of course psych evaluations to be done for the pilots; it isn't just a matter of getting a prescription & taking a month off.)

So for American pilots (&TM's) with depression who think it is going too far to be grounded for a year (or previously, entirely grounded), are they uppity and do they have out of control egos? Rules and laws do change over time. I hear they are letting women vote now too.

Much of the medication issue comes down to whether one believes it is safer to fly with untreated depressed pilots or ones receiving controlled treatment. It's not a choice between perfect pilots and imperfect pilots.

What 'Twardo said is right on. It's someone else's life that is going to be gambled with, and it's the sign of an out of control ego that a person would think themselves fit to judge acceptable that the law has prohibited.

It is easy to be judgemental and black and white, but that isn't the way of the world. If you are a TI, and have ever smoked pot just once in your life, you must apply for a waiver for your third class medical certificate. Would you consider it a sign of an out of control ego if you smoked pot once in high school 20 years ago but did not disclose it on the FAA medical application?
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

If you are a TI, and have ever smoked pot just once in your life, you must apply for a waiver for your third class medical certificate. Would you consider it a sign of an out of control ego if you smoked pot once in high school 20 years ago but did not disclose it on the FAA medical application?

I think there's a difference to smoking pot at some time in your past, and currently being on a daily dose of a perscribed anti-depressant.

I think there's also a difference between a PPL who may or may not be flying with passengers, and a TI who is providing a service to the general public who are under the assumption that all reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure their safety.

Would you apporove of this for a commercial pilot flying revenue passengers for a living? That's essentially what a TI is, they just fly them one at a time.

I agree, and it appears you would agree that it is not "the sign of an out of control ego that a person would think themselves fit to judge acceptable that the law has prohibited". We just haven't agreed on high wide the grey area is. It isn't a black and white line. Or is it?

By the way - the FAA considers it a black and white line. It is a felony to lie about smoking pot 20 years ago on a third class application.

Would you apporove of this for a commercial pilot flying revenue passengers for a living? That's essentially what a TI is, they just fly them one at a time.

Thank goodness the FAA does not agree with your interpretation of what a TI is, or a second class medical would be required. From the FAA's point of view, there is not a passenger in a tandem, but a student receiving instruction.

It isn't a black and white line. Or is it?

By the way - the FAA considers it a black and white line. It is a felony to lie about smoking pot 20 years ago on a third class application.

You just answered your own question, but between you, me, and the wall, I think the line is when you offer your services as a professional to the general public.

A PPL who only flies solo, or with friends and family, there is a chance that those passengers are aware of the pilots situation, and even if they are not they are aware that they are flying with a non-professional, private pilot.

The argument could be made that the PPL might be endangering people on the ground, but given the number of airplane crashes that involve fatalities or injuries to people on the ground, I put that level of risk about the same as being involved in a car crash.

When you get into offering your services as a 'professional' pilot, you cross the line. People are putting their lives in your hands based on the safety of the system in place in the US, and part of that system is the FAA flight medicals.

Like it or not, a TI is essentially the same as a commercial pilot in that they are transporting the general public in exchange for revenue.

Thank goodness the FAA does not agree with your interpretation of what a TI is, or a second class medical would be required. From the FAA's point of view, there is not a passenger in a tandem, but a student receiving instruction.

Whatever you want to call it, the reason that a medical is required at any level is because there is a passenger involved. No other jumper or instructor is required to have a medical, but a TI is directly repsonsible for the delivery of the student to the ground, and is therefore required to have a medical.

Why a thrid class only? My guess is that because it's limited to one passenger (in the US), and the limited scope of a tandem parachute system.

Let's keep in mind the original intent of the FAA was to protect the non-flying public from the aviation community. I don't think it's unreasonable to view a tandem parachute system as less of a risk to the non-flying public than a powered aircraft, so the lower medical requirements fit the bill.

Passenger or student, the purpose of the medical is to protect the paying non-slydiver and the non-flying public.

Whatever you want to call it, the reason that a medical is required at any level is because there is a passenger involved. No other jumper or instructor is required to have a medical, but a TI is directly repsonsible for the delivery of the student to the ground, and is therefore required to have a medical.

Why a thrid class only? My guess is that because it's limited to one passenger (in the US), and the limited scope of a tandem parachute system.

Let's keep in mind the original intent of the FAA was to protect the non-flying public from the aviation community. I don't think it's unreasonable to view a tandem parachute system as less of a risk to the non-flying public than a powered aircraft, so the lower medical requirements fit the bill.

Passenger or student, the purpose of the medical is to protect the paying non-slydiver and the non-flying public.

I thought the FAA did not require a medical for tandem skydiving?

Appears to me the purpose of the medical is to try to insulate the manufacturers from liability.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Interesting coincidence to see the media making a meal out of the Jetblue pilots meltdown, and the ratio of pilots on meds compared to the general population, and what it all means.

0.01% compared to 10%.

Thats if you can believe anything in the media....

Actually flying to Gran Canaria tomorrow, must remember to ask the pilot if he's had his pills for the day!!!.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....