aerialcameraman

hopps 330 tandem canopy

hi,
i jumped the hobbs in new zealand. they open nice,fly nice ( like a stilletto)very light toggle pressure.
but the one issue i had with them was when it was windy and turbolent. the smacked me a couple of times on landing in those conditions. so i jumped other canopys when it was windy. when calm and slight breeze i liked them.
i have heard of other tandem master complaing of the same thing. but that was 6-7 years ago and i havent jumped them since. so not sure if they have improved them since
rodger

very nice opening....smooth and long
cery light presure togle
very fast forwward
but unstabele in turbulence......my dz is windy an turbulence dz....and is not funy to jump in big turbulence....must be awer all the time... few time my canopy colapse 20-40% but recover very fast and land ok......
If the dz is not turbulent you will be very hapy with this canopy....it recover alot of distance on the bad spoting situations...... is very radical on tuns you can scary the pasanger very easy.......

One of my favorite tandem canopies. I jumped it at the single most turbulent DZ I've ever jumped, and I would have no problem doing it again. It is no more susceptible to turbulence than any other tandem canopy I've jumped. It is however a very tapered planform (read: elliptical) and any trouble I've seen people have with it is the way the pilot handled the turbulence and its effects.

Key tips:

1) NEVER look up at the parachute on final if you experience a collapse. You won't change anything, and you're taking your eyes off the sight picture of your landing. Reacquiring the picture takes too much time on short final and your reactions will suffer.

2) Don't stop flying at the turbulence, fly THROUGH it. Your job is to land the parachute, not worry about where it is now, but rather where it is going to be.

3) Don't over react. Keep the parachute over your head using the minimum amount of control needed to do so.

It is one of the best flying wings out there, but because very few people seek to become GREAT canopy pilots I probably wouldn't put it in the hands of a novice tandem instructor. Maybe after 1000 tandems.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Great canopies, I've done about 6000 + jumps on them. They do have a tendency to collapse in turbulence particularly when the TM does a big toggle turn.

Diablopilot has said it already:

Key tips:

1) NEVER look up at the parachute on final if you experience a collapse. You won't change anything, and you're taking your eyes off the sight picture of your landing. Reacquiring the picture takes too much time on short final and your reactions will suffer.

2) Don't stop flying at the turbulence, fly THROUGH it. Your job is to land the parachute, not worry about where it is now, but rather where it is going to be.

3) Don't over react. Keep the parachute over your head using the minimum amount of control needed to do so.

They open great and are really easy to fly once you get used to the over steer when turning. Great Canopy!!! I jump the Jojo wings XF-15 and wont get anything else! ;)

the fire bolt 289 that I jumped in florida was choppy - the 330 hopps I have seen of it but never jumped it - the lines on the fire bolt were drawn in close - by the slider - softer a soft feeling - but then popy - -very light passenger - - icrs 330 were my favorite - till a test jump from pd stole the show - I would like to know more about hopps

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -