tigepigeon

tandom question

I have tried a couple of searches, but could not find any information about this. So if this question has been asked before....don't get upset and lets just talk about gopros and dry hand jobs.

So I got into skydiving because I took my mom for a tandem her 60th birthday, and I got hooked. Now my dad is turning 60 also, and the heat is on for him to do the same. Obviously it will be cool for him to watch his son leave the plane solo before him, but what are the chances of a DZ letting me dock with a tandem?

what are the chances of a DZ letting me dock with a tandem?

unfortunately close to none. Unless you are a very current tunnelflyer, or put a couple hundred jumps WITH skills before your dad's jump
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

In this day and time, probably none. Your home DZ would probably be your best chance. I jumped with me wifes tandem on my 100th jump with a few others but that was back when we lived dangerously...like 1990 :D:D:D

I was also shooting paid tandem videos with less than 200 jumps but that's a whole other argument.:)

You should also ask yourself honestly whether you have the skills to guarantee a safe dock on your dad's tandem - regardless of whether your DZO says yes.

Don't underestimate how 'different' it is from your experience to date. The fall rate may be radically outside your comfort zone in either direction, and there's the big, scary, intimidating drogue to deal with.

I can completely understand why you'd want to do it - it's a fantastic buzz to jump with a friend or family member - but the last thing you want to do is spoil his jump (or worse), and remember that he will have a blast regardless. :)

As other pointed out before: No real chance. In Germany you either got to be a tandem pilot or certified tandem videot to do so or have 300+ RW jumps (with lotta briefing etc pp)

Put it this waqy: Jump out right before your dad - load organizer should make this happen, have him watch you actually jump out (and be proud of you) and then let him enjoy his ride. He might even be too "busy" noticing you. Wouldn't be the first student looking right through the person flying in front of them... ;) Howzat?

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I'm a videoflyer and have setup a number of these jumps before.

Step one is getting a real videoflyer for your dad. Then make sure you sit next to him the plane so the videoflyer can get both of you in the video. Then have the videoflyer film you exiting right before the tandem.
Sitflying with your back to the camera sucks for video, as does a diving exit. I always like if the solo jumper does one of these 2 exits: either poised and waving to the camera, or cannonballing/frontflipping out. The first one if you do it stable gets very nice pictures, the last one always gets lots of "oooohs".
If you're capable of doing this safely, you can land near the videoflyer so he can film your landing too, and then wait together for your father to land.

This way, you both get included, it's safe and your dad will be suitably impressed, trust me ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

what are the chances of a DZ letting me dock with a tandem?

Honestly it depends entirely on the DZ. Depending on your level of experience, this may be a very, very bad idea. But it's really not that uncommon for us to see DZ's permit very, very bad idea behavior simply because it'd "be cool."