agentsmith413

reverse facing tandem?

What i mean by this is the tandem passenger faces the instructor. has anyone ever heard of doing this with a tandem passenger? if so is it even allowed? a friend and i were talking about it and were just curious.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

What i mean by this is the tandem passenger faces the instructor. has anyone ever heard of doing this with a tandem passenger? if so is it even allowed? a friend and i were talking about it and were just curious.

Wally Gubbins - backwards tandem - nekkid!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Mr Bill. Make sure you have a very experience TI and the jumper should have 300+ jumps at least and be strong enough to do the pull-up for unhooking the top snaps.
Link with pics of mine in 2006, enjoy.

Haven't heard of a Mr Bill-style jump with a "normal" student (i.e. without their own rig :P) yet.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

When the passenger is reverse facing, the passenger normally puts on the harness backwards, right?

That seems to be the way Abedy did it (from his photo link), and a passenger of mine did once. Connecting & disconnecting the hooks backwards could be quite awkward, and wearing the harness backwards generally keeps all dimensions & load paths like normal.

(When I did it, we had 2 tandems, two passengers with solo rigs. The passengers dropped off simultaneously as we flew next to each other, so they could do an RW hookup. Then the two of us stuck under tandem canopies solo up high did a little CRW.)

I've seen a few of them either from the ground or as captured on video. One was absolutely beautiful. The disconnected "student" stood on the TI's feet while the TI held her harness. She held her arms straight out and just fell back off and away from him. It was almost slow motion. The videographer under canopy did a nice job capturing it.

And then the TI had a long canopy ride since he was under a big ass canopy that was lightly loaded.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

When the passenger is reverse facing, the passenger normally puts on the harness backwards, right?

Yes, right. Can be seen here quite well. It's quite uncomfy this way, apart from it being fastened very tight.
But was worth it, the moment you drop off is sooo beautiful.

I could name at least three tandem instructors who have jumped with girls facing them (backwards harness), but I won't. One at a "regular" DZ up north and two at beach boogies. It's not really that big a deal mechanically. Under canopy the TM's knees are up and the passenger's legs are wrapped around the waist.

I could name at least three tandem instructors who have jumped with girls facing them (backwards harness), but I won't.

We've had three Mr Bill jumps with girls this way here. It's nothing sexually offensive nor "indecent". Since the girl wear the passenger harness backwards, her boobs are sort of covered by the back patch so the TI doesn't feel "too much". OK, it's a girl sitting on a guy's thighs but that's nothing obscene B|
There are pics of two of these jumps and photographs are even displayed (among load of other skydive pics)

Please keep in mind that if you are planning the Mr. Bill tandem, to stow the lateral attachments before going back into freefall. Could get ugly otherwise.:o

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.