Abedy

How many pass-outers?

Getting them "seated" in their harness is important. Also helps for a smooth (sitting) landing - they can lift their legs much better then.
But some guest, well... you put it. Their bodies aren't really made for this. I usually tell them as the last work-around to stand on my feet, lift up my legs so they should be able to move the leg straps towards their knees, but sometimes even with me helping their too weak for their weight, so to say. Ever noticed those students only turn up on days with little wind? :S

And a bus load of japinese tourist will show up when the winds are blowing! (80 /90 pounders):S

And a bus load of japinese tourist will show up when the winds are blowing! (80 /90 pounders):S

No Japanese tourists here. But the few lightweights who turn up, also do so on windy days and... tell ya they ain't like spinning the canopy :S

P.S.: The Atom tandems (PdF) have ...ummm... retainers? on their front risers so make the canopy dive more in case the student is very light. (See pic attached.) I dunno if this is really an advantage, though - haven't tried the Atom tandem gear yet.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Did a quick search on YouTube last night, there are a surprising number of videos with pass-outers featured.

Seems almost universal that they go 'out' during rapid extended spirals...a couple almost look like the centrifuge videos, you see the passenger getting white/weak, arms go down then eyes roll back then the head drops.

One has quite a landing tumble over the passed out student...lucky not to break his neck.

BTW...quite a few puking tandem vids there too...:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

BTW...quite a few puking tandem vids there too...:ph34r:

Lately we've had three simultaneous threads on three different types of tandem passengers.

It appears we have videos of the pass-outers, and videos of the pukers... so where are the tandem student orgasm videos??

"Well, anyone can attend to this unconscious guy here? I got some work to do."

If the guy was 200lbs or less, I'd drop the rig and use the old fireman's carry to get him back to the hangar. I can always tell the packers there's a rig in the grass, and I'm turning hot. (They always appreciate an excuse to leave the hangar)

Wow. I don't know if i'm lucky or unlucky. 50 tandems total. All last season. I've had one full Pass out, one puker and one big O. I never even thought people could pass out... Happened 15 seconds after opening. I pass him the toggles as he says 'wow, i'm really starting to feel the rush...' And then he went limp and passes out for the entire canopy ride. Male, 20s, hungover, dehydrated on a hot day, and no breakfast. Recipe for disaster... Woke up literally on landing as the other TI on the ground yells at him to pick up his legs. And he does... Uneventful landing... Luckily.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

"Fireman's carry" - new word learned ;)

I'd rather attend to the student on-site (would look too dramatic if I carried an unconscious student into the hangar) and give 1st aid there, but that's just my 2c. If student needs a little longer to come to some additional helpers should have approached to provide some shade etc pp. But heck, it's the actual situation that counts...

Woke up literally on landing as the other TI on the ground yells at him to pick up his legs. And he does... Uneventful landing... Luckily.

The TI/E whom I did the Xcheck with told me to always yell "Feet up!" at an unconscious student when landing because:
1) It actually happened (to him) that doing so resulted in waking up the student
2) It will help prove you did everything (no gross negligence) to ensure a landing as carefully done as possible.

1st aid there, but that's just my 2c. If student needs a little longer to come to some additional helpers should have approached to provide some shade etc pp. But heck, it's the actual situation that counts...

Hanging out at the dropzone with nothing to do scooping tandems and IAD jumpers is one of my preferred things to do. When i get a fainter i usually get them to sit or lay down if they are not already. Remove or loosen harness and just sit with them for a few minutes until their ready to walk back to dz. I plan to carry some sugar candy with me to boost their insulin levels and bring them to a bit faster if they are Conscious.

With only 1 season with tdm-rating, I can only "brag" about 1 passing-out... Around 2 meter long guy... Started feeling "dizzy" as soon as the canopy opened... After trying to make it as comfortable as you can for him, he relaxed a bit too much at the "feet-up"-moment...

Well... Semi landing-fall thing, and he woke up after 15 seconds or so... He didn't realize before his father, whom was standing next to landing zone, asked how the grass tasted...
If everything seems under control.. You're just not going fast enough..!

Student hits plowed farm field, soon wakes up, spits dirt out of his mouth. DZO gets to him. "You blacked out -- has that ever happened to you before?"
Student: "Yes."
DZO: "Why didn't you tell us before???"
Student: "Because it never happened to me skydiving."
DZO: "But this was your first jump!!!"
>:(>:(

:D:D:D:D:D
From 0 to 12.000 in 9 minutes

0 in 4500 tandem jumps. Totally agree with having the passenger sit back in the harness. You instructors with multiple passengers passing out need to change something!!!!
------------------------------------------------
'I refuse to tiptoe quitely through life
only to arrive safely at death' Anon