humanflite

Double Person tandem (a triandem?) and video!! Please Discuss

Repost!
I suspect that this jump was done more to aggrandize the ego of the TI than for students' enjoyment.
If he wants to haul that much weight, he would be wiser to learn from the military TIs who routinely jump with 500 to 1,000 pound (150 to 300 kilogram) bundles: static-line drogue, use 500 square foot canopies, etc.

Every jumper owes a debt of gratitude to the "stupid" adventurers who first thought it possible to jump out of a flying airplane for fun and land safely.

Of course, that was a good number of fatalities ago.

Technically, this is feasible, but there are a number of unknowns and legal issues to resolve before this becomes common place.

As a TI who often has to wrestle with just one stiff passenger who suddenly forgets training and locks themselves in a fetal position or some other turbulance-inducing position, I wonder about the potential instability issues this formation (or any 3-way arrangement) could lead too. Now, i'd have to figure out who is causing the spin and try to overcome it before G-loc -- and now its 2-to-1. Maybe if we fit both inside a rigid capsule that is fastened to the TI -- but then it becomes a whole different experience

Obviously, we'd need bigger canopies. Heck in the USA, we turn down many people simply because obesity has become epidemic here. And that's just ONE passenger.

I don't doubt dual tandem rides would be a huge hit. Even today, friends and lovers ask if they can jump together or touch each other in free fall. Married folks, not so much - go figure.

And legally, the FAA would have to become convinced this is relatively safe before they sanction it -- a huge hurdle that could be a big show-stopper.

Economically, DZs might realize more efficiency if it is ever approved, but I doubt the return would be so much more than what they can realize today, and so the effort and investment may not be worth pursuing given the FAA hassle.

Someone somewhere may continue to experiment and refine this, but that DZ won't likely be in the US.

How do you kick out of line-twist with three people??

And it be real fun to have side spin out the door plus the TI is stuck on the back, have fun throwing out drogue than

Which is why they should static-line the drogue ... like the big boys (military bundle-masters) do.