millertime24

For the TI's, Why do you do it?

I'm not a tandem master or a TI, or anything like that. But I used to jump at a tandem mill Friday/Sat/Sunday tandems were jumped till 4pm. The odd slot here and there. The TIs would work hard, jump land tear off the rig, put on another one get on the plane and manage 3-4 lifts per hour. On the videos it always showed them as thumbs up smily happy.

But on the ground he was a miserable sod.... he did it purely for money and at £40 per drop three drops an hour for 5 hours a day lets say couple hours for lunch thats £500 for a days work.

I wouldn't say no for that. I need to pump 78hours a week to merely get £500 a week in this bad economy.

1) The joy I get teaching people to skydive, even if it's just a tandem. I live for the reaction I get right after the canopy fully opens and they are hooting and hollering (or perhaps hurling..)

2) The challenges you sometimes have to overcome to safely deliver these students/passengers back to the ground in one piece. Those challenges change every single jump depending on your student/passenger and the type of gear you are jumping.

3) I get paid to do it, and that doesn't suck.

That pretty much sums it up for me. It's cool to try to give every person the best possible experience you can. And with all my $$ on the books at the DZ, then I like to pretend I fun jump for free. B|

Because someone told me I couldn't!

I never find it boring. I don't do it for the cash (yeah $30-$35 is so worth the risk...)

Sharing the thrill of this sport I love so much with others.

I take the trust the students have in me seriously.

My tandem jumps excite me as much as they scare me.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I