reynolds

Tandem Landing Tips

Again, my hands weren't behind my shoulders B|. I don't see the confusion here. I hear what you're saying. I just don't think it's cool to besmirch my TI's when you weren't there. They were (& still are) very safe. I now excuse myself from an instructor's thread...

This is a good example of why the instructors forum was set up.

"PTPTPTPTPTPT!!"

Old school!!!!!

The less a student is encouraged to mess with his equipment, the less he is likely to mess-up.
If you look at the Sigma Student Harness Adjustment Guide, or the posters released by Strong Ent. a couple of years ago, you will see that adjusting the hip joint - so that it covers the FRONT of the student's hip - eliminates 90 percent of the fumbling under canopy.

I once asked a pax if he wanted to help fly. I then watched as he grabbed the right toggle. When I turned to see him grab the left he had his hand firmly wrapped around the cutaway handle. I calmly but firmly told him to LET GO. I think I ruined a paired of undies that jump. I now present the toggles in front of them so they can see better and I can watch both hands.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof"

Good example of "I read something useful on DZ.com" B|
I had a pax yesterday who neither was able to lift their shanks nor slide their leg straps forward (although I tried to help as much as possible) so I resorted to your tip and we had a very soft landing. But I wouldn't like to try this method with a 90kg pax :P

P.S.: The TI who instructed her on the ground said she was able to lift her legs.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I apologise for the delay in responding to your tips, but I've been out there trying them out. And guess what? Success! I do the harness up in a different sequence to the way I did it before, so the hip rings are now further forward. My new sequence: Chest strap, front laterals, legs straps and finally rear laterals (previously I'd do the rear laterals first, then the leg straps - which must have pulled the hip rings back). So thanks for all your help. Blue skies. Guy :)

Maybe because I'm tall, but I find it very easy to scoop their legs with mine if they can not raise them. I'm good with being their mattress if needed.

As far as leaning back, my experience is that they do not need to grab the harness. If they raise their knees, and use their hands behind their knees if necessary, they can get enough leverage just dearching their back. It is essentially a whole body curl instead of just the knees up.

Basically I'm asking them to go fetal if necessary. I don't do this as part of the training or brief in the plane - only if they can't show me a good knees up while we are still up high. No need to plant the idea unless it will be needed.

I've only done a little over 200 tandems so far, but on the half dozen that could not give me proper legs up this has worked out very well.

Anybody have any bad experiences with asking the passenger to basically ball up for landing? (Again, with hands behind knees - not on harness).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

My briefing...
"When I say legs up, I mean pull your knees towards your chest. Once you have your knees up, extend your feet out, but only as far as you can without dropping your knees"

Also, my briefing includes "Under canopy, the nature of the tandem system leaves you leaning slightly forward. This causes a natural tendency for students to reach up and grab their upper attachment straps, which unfortunately puts your hands within inches of my emergency handles. You must resist that urge and keep your hands in front of you. My friend Robert was killed by someone doing this, and I do not respond well to students trying to reenact that incident."

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My briefing...
"When I say legs up, I mean pull your knees towards your chest. Once you have your knees up, extend your feet out, but only as far as you can without dropping your knees"

Also, my briefing includes "Under canopy, the nature of the tandem system leaves you leaning slightly forward. This causes a natural tendency for students to reach up and grab their upper attachment straps, which unfortunately puts your hands within inches of my emergency handles. You must resist that urge and keep your hands in front of you. My friend Robert was killed by someone doing this, and I do not respond well to students trying to reenact that incident."

Blues,
Dave

I do that too (emphasize knees up) and tell them to use their hands behind their knees to make that easy. The bonus is it keeps their hands busy where they can do no harm.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley