Easterpig13

tandems with no rating?

Jerry,

You are right, it was a different manufacture. My point was that they were 2 highly experienced jumpers on a tandem rig. And again you are right the name was Terry Dean, not Reed.

Chuckers

This was before tandem was approved by the FAA and AAD’s were not required. This was also before an activation device was required for the passenger.

Sparky

Maybe my memory isn't so good, but I thought the FAA has always required tandems to be conducted in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements even before they "approved" it (as in not by experimental waiver), which I think have required AAD's for many years.

Am I getting that wrong or do I not understand the details?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Jerry,

You are right, it was a different manufacture. My point was that they were 2 highly experienced jumpers on a tandem rig. And again you are right the name was Terry Dean, not Reed.

Chuckers

This was before tandem was approved by the FAA and AAD’s were not required. This was also before an activation device was required for the passenger.

Sparky

Maybe my memory isn't so good, but I thought the FAA has always required tandems to be conducted in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements even before they "approved" it (as in not by experimental waiver), which I think have required AAD's for many years.

Am I getting that wrong or do I not understand the details?

I really don't have an answer for you.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi chuck,

I just do not remember when it occured but I am thinking it was still during the 'experimental waiver' time frame.

Hi Sparky,

The 'story' up here at the time was that the photographer went down with them ( ~1100 feet or so ) fillming. Apparently, there was quite a bit of terror at the moment they both knew something was just not going correctly.

Yup, Terry Dean; just a great, easy going guy. And, while I never met him, I understand Dave Wilds was a very nice guy also. Too bad, way too bad.

JerryBaumchen

... This was before tandem was approved by the FAA and AAD’s were not required. This was also before an activation device was required for the passenger.

Sparky

Maybe my memory isn't so good, but I thought the FAA has always required tandems to be conducted in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements even before they "approved" it (as in not by experimental waiver), which I think have required AAD's for many years. ...

Correct!

The FAA has always required tandems to be done "in accordance with manufacturers' instructions."
All the FARs, laws, rules and regulations loop back to "in accordance with manufacturers' instructions."

The only variation on that theme is military surplus equipment, which must be "operated in accordance with the appropriate military manual."

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
FAA Master Rigger

Dave and Terry died in 1987 or 1988. The only AAD’s available they were things like the FXC 12000, the HI Tek 8000, SSE Sentinel and the 2MPZ KAP if you could find one. Cypres came on the market in 1991 so my guess is that they were not using one.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Sparky

Have you ever heard of Dave Wildes or Terry Reed? At the time they were current world champions in 8 way. Dave was a rated TI. They were 2 highly experienced skydivers on a tandem rig. They both went in with nothing out. They were better jumpers than you hypothetical “experienced jumpers” will ever be.

Hi sparky

I'm old and forget but that incident was so bad and sad read about it parachutist:(

I think the two experenced jumpers were on the coors eight way team? The TM was rated but not even close to being current.

Many 1000's of jumps x 2 and they went up for a fun jump on a tandem. [:/]

Maybe a couple of kids lost their dad/dads and no life insurance. The jumpers problems were over the wife/gfriend kids problems were just starting.:([:/]

R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder