DBlank

Thoughts on head down tandem?

and friggin loaded apprently

Upgrade to Flash Player 10 for improved playback performance. Upgrade Now or More Info. close
46 views Like Add toShare Loading... This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded by reallycandothis on Mar 30, 2011

This is 3 minutes of footage out of the 3 hours we shut down the tunnel at Airkix Milton Keynes for Jamie (of Volosity Freefly) 14th birthday party - Ted coached all three hours (how I don't know) and in the end it STILL wasn't enough time. Sorry if I've missed you out - but it was 6 hours of footage (two angles) - AND THANK YOU EVERYONE - it was fantastic :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdBeO5wOq08
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You can pose the same question for doing gainers or flips out of the door. Or really any other activity that isn't jumpinp out and immediately going flat, stable, and deploying the drouge.

Once again, what's more disturbing is things like TI fastening straps right before entering the aircraft, pax not being hooked up whilst door is open etc.
The head down thingy is much smaller change, at least in my eyes.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

OK - I'm the mother of the child in question. I am not a skydiver. About six years ago one of his uncles (who was a skydiver) bought him a voucher to fly at Airkix, in England. Jamie has Asperger's Syndrome and Dyspraxia (severe problems with balance and co-ordination) - he LOVED flying and we found it really helped his balance etc and his self confidence. At various points I have re-mortgaged my house to pay for his flying BUT to me this has been worth it - things are tough enough for him and flying is the one time that he is really in harmony with the world. He is coached by Adam Mattacola (Volare) and by Ted Foster (Varial) and is in training for The World Challenge at Bedford next year with his team-mate Caleb. This was his 1st jump. He'd forgotten his contact lenses but he wanted to see, so he wore goggles over his glasses. I didn't know he was going to do HD, and if they had asked, I don't know what I would have said - but he was proficient at HD before he jumped. His second jump he chose to flat fly as he wanted more time to enjoy the view. Please note that Jamie reads what people post on here. He's not planning to jump again until he's 16 as he wants to be in control of the jump himself although he really did enjoy the tandem and we are really grateful to everyone at Empuriabrava for how well they looked after us.

You can pose the same question for doing gainers or flips out of the door. Or really any other activity that isn't jumpinp out and immediately going flat, stable, and deploying the drouge.

Once again, what's more disturbing is things like TI fastening straps right before entering the aircraft, pax not being hooked up whilst door is open etc.
The head down thingy is much smaller change, at least in my eyes.

Oh, I agree that the disturbing things on the video are things that you listed. But that is not the title of the thread, or the question at hand. So in your opinion, you can overlook the fact that he flew head down with a tandem, but will not overlook the other things he did(or did not) do?

Especially in this case, I think the argument that this was fun for the TI at the expense of a customer is boloney. The kid has flown head down before and if I had the chance to fly on my head instead of flat, then I would have taken it.

Now, as far as the rules go, that's a different story from my opinion above. I'll plead the 5th of whether I've done anything but fly flat and stable out of the door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZkC56jA2HI

My initial thoughts were: This is not awesome, you are not supposed to deploy a drogue at terminal, and I doubt the harness is designed for that either.

Apparently the kid had a lot of tunnel time, this was at some dz in Spain

For Pete's sake, people, can't you be a little more creative with your whining and sniveling about new things with which you are unfamiliar and/or uninformed?

In the 1970s, I was kicked off drop zones for doing relative work by people who said it was too dangerous and not to be done with the equipment of the day.

In the 1980s, I was kicked off drop zones for doing CRW for the same reasons.

In the 1970s and 1980s, I was kicked off drop zones for BASE jumping because I was obviously crazy with a death wish and malevolent intent toward the health, sanctity and public perception of "the sport."

And now y'all are whining and sniveling and threatening people who dare to even dance near the edge of an envelope, much less step outside of it.

So get over it. The equipment is overbuilt, as it has always been, and the skillsets are far outstripping the ability of old farts and noobs alike to even comprehend (watching last year's freefly national champs did that to ME), and so, what say y'all pipe down and LEARN a little bit before you go shooting off your mouths on subjects about which you have no knowledge but many uninformed opinions?

Jamie's Mum did a great job of whacking y'all upside your punkin haids and it was particularly hilarious that none of you whiners and snivelers even considered the notion that it might indeed be a special case... y'all were apparently too busy projecting your own mentality on the actions of the TI and everyone else associated with Jamie's jump.

And really, if you'd just watched the video and accepted what you SAW instead of putting layer upon layer upon layer of your own opinion veneers on it, it would have been clear (as it was to a couple of posters) that both TI and Jamie were very accomplished freeflyers and performed a flawless specialty parachute jump. What they did should be appreciated, not bad-mouthed.

Maybe we need a new forum.... Whiners, Snivelers and Poseurs.

In the meantime, well done, Jamie and TI and especially Jamie's Mum. He's a lucky lad to have a mum like you, and it was fascinating to hear the story behind their jump.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

In the 1970s, I was kicked off drop zones for doing relative work by people who said it was too dangerous and not to be done with the equipment of the day.

I was doing RW in the 70’s and never got kicked off a dropzone.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/FirstrigElsinore.jpg

I was doing CRW in the 70's and 80's and never got kicked off a dropzone.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/4stack.jpg

In the 1970s and 1980s, I was kicked off drop zones for BASE jumping

The only base jumping I did was in the early 80's and never got kicked off a dropzone.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/ElCap.jpg

It must have been my boyish good looks and charming personality. Ya think?:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Without the batton passes, balloon suits, front mounted reserves and all the old school carry on, we would not have head down, blind carving, swooping...

You guys were as improtant to modern skydiving as Kraftwerk were to Electronica.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Here are my thoughts on tandem instructors in general...

You pay peanuts, your going to get monkeys!!

on another note..

Sparky that CRW with the paracommander or whatever the fuck that peice of shit , does not belong on top of a four stack ...... is amazing'

Tipping my hat to you...really is something else!!

No problem to agree with you. No problem you concede I got a point at - nevertheless the topic - mentioning safety issues to be seen in the video.
Please do understand that even though the topic only mentions "Doing madskillz stuff!" - considerate TIs feel urged to put safety issues on top. Never mind ;-) The boy is quite good a freeflyer, no discussion about that. Looking forward to watching videos of him really free falling.

BTW: Tnx for making me look up terms like boloney or to pledge the 5th. If you ever intend to learn some German, feel free to contact me for some upper level input B| (Not kidding, not being snobbyish)

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I was doing RW in the 70’s and never got kicked off a dropzone.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/FirstrigElsinore.jpg

I was doing CRW in the 70's and 80's and never got kicked off a dropzone.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/4stack.jpg

In the 1970s and 1980s, I was kicked off drop zones for BASE jumping

The only base jumping I did was in the early 80's and never got kicked off a dropzone.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/ElCap.jpg

Sparky

LOL

Maybe... but maybe too it waswhere you jumped. I wasn't jumping at cutting-edge places such as Elsinore and Perris... in fact, I got comments such as, "Y'all want to do that ****, go to Califorrrnyuh.

B|

Get the manufacturer of the gear to agree to thenactivity and you MIGHT have a leg to stand on.

I don't see any manufacturers among the whiners and snivelers on this thread.

B|

Maybe... but maybe too it waswhere you jumped. I wasn't jumping at cutting-edge places such as Elsinore and Perris... in fact, I got comments such as, "Y'all want to do that ****, go to Califorrrnyuh.

Where do you think those pictures were taken. Perris and Elsinore. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

"Y'all want to do that ****, go to Califorrrnyuh."

Yeah back in the midwest I heard that a lot too....so I did! B|

In SandyEggo I hopped out, turned a series, punched it at 1500', rode deep brakes in and stomped the disk...B|

Then I hear~

"Y'all want to do that ****, go to Masseechewsiss!" :S:ph34r:;)

Go Figure!:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Where do you think those pictures were taken. Perris and Elsinore. ;)

Sparky

Actually, I think that one shot was taken a bit farther north... but it was still in Califorrrnyuh...

IIRC, I was there a time or two myself.

B|

Sparky

it was the scary tattooed image you present, you tough rough skydiver you:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?