DBlank

Thoughts on head down tandem?

90% did an article on him, they sent me a list of questions to ask http://www.90percent.it/images/Nr4%20013.pdf (pages 39 to 43) - it was interesting for me as he's never really talked about flying much with me, it made it feel like all the time/expense is worth it :)

skygypsie

On my 1st Skydive Anniversary jump, my husband took me on a head down tandem.

It was also my 60th jump, his 2800th; 1500 which were tandems, we own the gear...

We were drogueless & clocked at 200 mph, for 7 seconds before we went to neutral freefall.

My favorite jump ever B|

He does not do these at any other time nor with students.

It's our SPECIAL thing, just like the 6-1/2 back flips out the door ;)

A premature opening, HD, drogueless, will most likely kill both of you.

Hubbys 1500 jumps as a TM does not make him an expert or authority on safety. Owning the rig does not ensure immunity from death or injury.

Tandem terminal is a no go area for good, proven reasons, gear failure being amongst them.

Its not the drogue blowing up, its the humans not tolerating the opening shock of a premature opening thats the real problem. I know a tandem pair who very likely were killed by excessive opening shock.

But of course physics are different this century, so its all OK.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

It's not the ability of the TM (or the pax) that's the problem. It's taking the tandem rig to speeds for which it was never designed.

That sentence says it all !!!!

On my many tandems I was allowed on certain jumps by various TIs to read alti and deploy main. in otherwords control the jump under constant supervision (Do not tell Don though)

Nothing dangerous like head down or anything the rig was not designed for. Thanks TIs it was fun and gave more experience.. rather than just being a passenger !!
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

people were just a little confused as to why Jamie was doing a head down tandem in the first place - but he knew how to fly head down before he ever jumped out of a plane (being a mega tunnel rat) - since he turned 16 and can now jump without being attached to another human being he's been progressing really well, and some people enjoy watching updates on how he's progressed - sorry if it's caused you some confusion - it's just there for any of the people who are interested in "what Jamie did next"

jamiesmum

people were just a little confused as to why Jamie was doing a head down tandem in the first place - but he knew how to fly head down before he ever jumped out of a plane (being a mega tunnel rat) - since he turned 16 and can now jump without being attached to another human being he's been progressing really well, and some people enjoy watching updates on how he's progressed - sorry if it's caused you some confusion - it's just there for any of the people who are interested in "what Jamie did next"

I've enjoyed them :)

Hi

no idea what the bonfire is? Sorry if I've offended you. I have no idea what the rules are on here. I only came across the website because of a sudden jump in the number of people who were looking what I thought were my private home videos and I thought it only fair to comment as people were making all sorts of assumptions about my son. I won't post anymore. Kate (Jamie's mum)

"private home videos"

No such thing when you put the videos on the internet Kate!

We have a forum on this site called Bonfire and it's full of silliness.
Come on over there and post all you want about your videos of your son.
They created this forum for us to discuss tandem jumping and it's a decent area for us to do that.

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean and run you off.
B|

diablopilot

Besides being moronic, it's damaging to the gear, sets a poor example, and increases the risk of a student jump.

And yet, when we point that out we get; uniformed, idiotic, and down right stupid pm's, calling us assholes. Strange, being a person who wants people to be able to enjoy a long skydiving careers, makes on "wrong".[:/]
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

DBlank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZkC56jA2HI

My initial thoughts were: This is not awesome, you are not supposed to deploy a drogue at terminal, and I doubt the harness is designed for that either.

Apparently the kid had a lot of tunnel time, this was at some dz in Spain

But they are designed to handle that speed and weight. Using TSO-C23d for reference.

SAE AS8015 Revision B

4.3.4 Strength Test:

a. Test weight = Maximum operating weight limit x 1.2

b. Test speed = Maximum operating speed limit x 1.2

However, test weight must be not less than 264 lb (119.7 kg) and the test speed must be not less than 180 KEAS (333.4 km/h) for reserve and emergency parachute assemblies; for dual harness parachute assemblies for test weight must not be less than 480 lb (217.7 kg) and the test speed must not be less than 210 KEAS (388.9 km/h).

That gives you this.

1.2 Maximum Operating Limits, General:

1.2.1 Dual Harness Reserve Parachute Assembly: The maximum operating weight need not be the same for each harness; however, the maximum operating limits must not be less than 400 lb (181.4 kg), 200 lb (90.7 kg) in each harness, and 175 KEAS (324.1 km/h).

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I don't see any manufacturers among the whiners and snivelers on this thread.

Nope. But I have seen the manufacturer's and USPA's training materials. The loose leg straps on the way to the plane and passenger who is not connected to the TI while the door is open are expressly forbidden.
As soon as you start deciding which safety measures should be respected and which should be ignored you begin to tread on a very slippery slope and provide a bad example to everyone else. 'Young' jumpers look up to you just because you have that giant POS rig on your back, and they are paying attention. I feel like we should give them something respectable to pay attention to.

davelepka

sets a poor example

Like the TI snugging up his legtraps right before climibing in the plane with the free ends hanging loose? Or the student not being hooked up or with a snug harness while the door is open for the 4-way jumprun at 10,500? Or the hunk of drouge hanging out of the pouch when the TI knew full well he was going head down with the student? Or the unsecured straps beating the shit out of the student while freeflying?

Bad example? Nah, it's Europe! Stupid Americans could never understand their level of refinement and culture.

Many more issues than just a head down jump. Yet we are too stupid to see how cool this was!

Stop with the PM's now. The jump, was dangerous, skill levels be damned.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!