cbcharlie

Strong Instructor Rating Angst

Hello, I am a new Strong Tandem Instructor in Canada. Went throught the course last September / October and send in all my paperwork to Strong late October, 2010. To this date, after endless emails and phone calls and lies from the Strong office, I still have not received my rating. So many times I called or wrote emails (most never replied to) and asked where my rating was. I was always told, just one more week and we will get it out. Same thing a month later, same thing a month later. Told it was sent in Deceber, never came, told it was sent again this month with a tracker, nothing. All I get from the person running the ratings at Strong is basically the run around. I don't understand how an office could be so poorly run that a rating can't be sent out for 5 months. Have other people experienced the same thing??? This is a very poor start to a relationship with Strong that I already want over.

Sorry for your troubles. I got my rating from Strong in Jan 2010. I received it about 30 days after sending in the paperwork. 30 days seemed a bit long but I only called them once when I hadn't heard anything the first 3 weeks. Now its posted here maybe the word will get out and they'll get on it.

Hello, I am a new Strong Tandem Instructor in Canada. Went throught the course last September / October and send in all my paperwork to Strong late October, 2010. To this date, after endless emails and phone calls and lies from the Strong office, I still have not received my rating. So many times I called or wrote emails (most never replied to) and asked where my rating was. I was always told, just one more week and we will get it out. Same thing a month later, same thing a month later. Told it was sent in Deceber, never came, told it was sent again this month with a tracker, nothing. All I get from the person running the ratings at Strong is basically the run around. I don't understand how an office could be so poorly run that a rating can't be sent out for 5 months. Have other people experienced the same thing??? This is a very poor start to a relationship with Strong that I already want over.

A lot of delays in the issuance of ratings or licenses tend to be related to the course director slacking on submitting proper paperwork.
You should also check with the CD and then that SE received that paperwork from the CD.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Sorry to hear. If all is as you say, there's no excuse.

Get off your butt, Strong. If there's a logistical problem, just say so. Otherwise, what's up????
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Charlie,

My name is Marty Jones, and I am the new Director of Operations for Strong. 719-930-2069 is my cell number, 407-859-9317 is my work number and [email protected] is my email. Please send me the particulars and I will have this resolved by Friday.

If you could include the name of who you spoke with at Strong or emailed, who was your course director and your contact information. This will speed up everything.

MJ

Charlie,

My name is Marty Jones, and I am the new Director of Operations for Strong. 719-930-2069 is my cell number, 407-859-9317 is my work number and [email protected] is my email. Please send me the particulars and I will have this resolved by Friday.

If you could include the name of who you spoke with at Strong or emailed, who was your course director and your contact information. This will speed up everything.

MJ

BTW - If Marty says he'll fix it by Friday, I expect you'll have it fixed by Friday. I've known Marty for a long long time, and he's not going to bs you. So, make sure he has what he needs, and he'll surely take good care of you.

Of course, if the problem is that the CD dropped the ball, there could still be limits on what MJ can do.

I must say that Strong has been proactive on this one. It seems the young man in question moved and did not update his address.

Charlie, your rating was re-sent 10 days ago if you have not received it by Friday please let me know.

By the way I am doing this wifi at 33,000 ft how cool is that?

MJ

Anybody who has ever interacted w/ Ted; there is no doubt in anyones mind about the integrity of Strong!

The only thing that's wrong these days, is kids like the ANGST poster entering the sport. That's what's wrong!!

Charlie,

MJ

BTW - If Marty says he'll fix it by Friday, I expect you'll have it fixed by Friday. I've known Marty for a long long time, and he's not going to bs you. So, make sure he has what he needs, and he'll surely take good care of you.

Of course, if the problem is that the CD dropped the ball, there could still be limits on what MJ can do.

Anybody who has ever interacted w/ Ted; there is no doubt in anyones mind about the integrity of Strong!

The only thing that's wrong these days, is kids like the ANGST poster entering the sport. That's what's wrong!!

HORSESHIT!
The "kid" you mentioned put out a not inconsiderable amount of dough and effort getting his rating. If he, like he claims, has had numorous promises out of SE to solve the problem and it remains unsolved as the season approaches, then he is right to be worried. Airing it here seems to have done the trick.

HORSESHIT!
The "kid" you mentioned put out a not inconsiderable amount of dough and effort getting his rating. If he, like he claims, has had numorous promises out of SE to solve the problem and it remains unsolved as the season approaches, then he is right to be worried. Airing it here seems to have done the trick.

Did you see that the addressing problem was on the recipient's end? He moved and didn't tell Strong.

(See post #7, where Marty Jones says, "It seems the young man in question moved and did not update his address."

Seems to me the OP dropped the ball, not Strong.

Hello Everyone.
First off, I am quite pleased to say I have received my Strong Tandem Rating in the mail!!!! I quite look forward to sharing a first jump experience with many new friends this season.
I would also like to thank everyone who wrote on this post and expressed their opinions on the matter, as well as the people who pm'ed me and shared their Strong office horror stories as well.
So, let me get one thing straight. I bought a house two and a half years ago, lived there ever since. I sent in my paperwork to Strong (which I still have a photocopy of) last October, when I was definately living where I do now. I definately put the correct address (my current address) on the paperwork I sent. I even got the Strong office (on a couple of occasions throughout this whole ordeal) to confirm that they had the correct address and they always have. If someone wants to use that as an excuse for F*$&%ng up I really don't care.
Concerning there being a problem on the course administrators end, the first time I called (and was able to talk to someone) which was in November I believe, I asked if there were any issues with my application and was told there was none and all it required was a signature and it would be in the mail. I got that explanation for a couple of months I do believe. My course administrator was never contacted and there was never a problem with my application.
Throughout this process I have been quite patient and certainly didn't want to seem pushy or annoy Strong with countless phonecalls and emails. I guess I just reached a "point" and had to vent somewhere. I am just a beginner in the tandem world and I wish my relationship with Strong didn't start like this.
All I have to do now is look forward to having a great season doing tandems and learning lots from my students and the great tandem instructors I will be working with.

Compared to Ted Strong and, for example, Bill Booth most of us are just travelers passing thru the world of skydiving. Whether it be for 5, 10 years and 1,000 or 2,000 jumps!

Here comes an Angst-ridden kid, and you got your panties all bunched-up in a heartbeat?

HORSESHIT!

HORSESHIT!

Did you see that the addressing problem was on the recipient's end? He moved and didn't tell Strong.

(See post #7, where Marty Jones says, "It seems the young man in question moved and did not update his address."

Regardless who "dropped the ball," Riggerpaul's comments were out of line suggesting that any up and coming jumper/instructor who dares speak out against the venerable oldsters should not even have taken the sport up. I don't know Marty Jones and I barely know Ted Strong, but that makes no difference. It seems Marty is taking a similar approach to things as his predecessor did; that's great. We all know it hasn't been a great year at the SE office but that doesn't change the fact that when people put money out for a course they are owed something. This guy was right to speak out.

HORSESHIT!

Regardless who "dropped the ball," Riggerpaul's comments were out of line suggesting that any up and coming jumper/instructor who dares speak out against the venerable oldsters should not even have taken the sport up. I don't know Marty Jones and I barely know Ted Strong, but that makes no difference. It seems Marty is taking a similar approach to things as his predecessor did; that's great. We all know it hasn't been a great year at the SE office but that doesn't change the fact that when people put money out for a course they are owed something. This guy was right to speak out.

Wait a moment, please.

I never said he should not have taken up the sport. That was mpohl, in post #9.

In post #6, I said that Marty would take good care of him. He has.

In post #11, based on post #7, I asked YOU if you had read post #7.

I expect this post to be post #17, where I apologize if I said anything out of line in either of my previous posts.

But, at this point, I will ask YOU if anything I said was out of line, now that you can clearly see who wrote what?

Because if it was, I'd like to do what it takes to clear things up.

Thanks!

-paul

PS somewhere along the line, and after cbcharlie posted his post #12, I sent a PM to Marty asking for clarification, as post #12 meant somebody was not getting the story straight.

I hope that that my PM helped lead to Marty's post #14, where he apologized for his error.

No matter how you read them, I am not the one who went off on cbcharlie.

If you are angry with me for something else, fine, let's deal with it.

But I didn't write what you said I did.

Thanks!

-paul

Good for you Charlie. I hope you don't become one of those TM's that won't do fun jumps anymore.
I will be more than happy jump with your girlfriend in your absence.

She is getting her tandem rating too. And of course I am going to do lots of fun jumps now, just bought another wing suit, off to sunny florida for Iron Maiden and a week of jumping.

Charlie,
First-please accept my personal apology. I had you confused with another Canadian with the exact same issue. My bad.

Second-Welcome to the world of tandem and if there is anything I may do assist you please contact me personally.

MJ

I really appreciate you writing and offering to help out with this matter. My certificate is on the wall and I am excited to start having fun this season.

Agreed. I know 4 recent SE tandem candidates who have been complaining about the same problem. They have bugged their evaluators and have been assured the paperwork is in. This thread is good because it has forced SE to respond. The op has done a service to others in the same boat.