rhys

Strong Enterprises takes on Icarus Tandem...

I caught wind of this a week or so ago, and kept my mouth shut as I didn't know how settled or secret it was; but considering NZAerosports have it on their facebook page in a very official looking document LOL, then I guess it is all out in the open.

I am at an airport and this computer won't allow me to open facebook to retrieve the link but it is there for you to see.

Ted Strong and Jyro have signed a deal licensing the Icarus Tandem design for Strong Enterprises to use in their tandem systems.

At last you american strong DZ's will legally be able to use a decent canopy....

A good deal for Ted and Gyro... well done guys.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Ok, so according to Strong it was a terrible evil illegal despicable immoral thing to put an Icarus in a Strong yesterday.... but tomorrow it's a great thing. Uh huh.

Don't you love that B.S. about always having to follow manufacturer's instructions in the USA? ;)

(Presumably they will of course do some official compatibility testing.)

Strong has always been willing to have other manufacturers canopies in their systems, but it is not up to Strong to buy and then test the canopies on behalf of the canopy manufacturers.

Ted has said to me many times that if they want the canopies approved, then send them to Strong, Strong will test and evaluate and then approve/disapprove them.

Strong is not the evil here. They get sued for pretty much every tandem operation fuckup out there and they have no incentive to stick their neck out for you or anyone else.

I bet if you called UPT and asked if you could put a Bolivian-made ripcord handle on your Vector 3, they would probably say NO as well.

Strong has always been willing to have other manufacturers canopies in their systems, but it is not up to Strong to buy and then test the canopies on behalf of the canopy manufacturers.

Ted has said to me many times that if they want the canopies approved, then send them to Strong, Strong will test and evaluate and then approve/disapprove them.

Strong is not the evil here. They get sued for pretty much every tandem operation fuckup out there and they have no incentive to stick their neck out for you or anyone else.

I bet if you called UPT and asked if you could put a Bolivian-made ripcord handle on your Vector 3, they would probably say NO as well.

+1

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

George claims he personally gave (for free) Ted a P.A. tandem canopy to test, when I asked him why he had not done that so Strong could test it....

I then called back to Strong and asked what gives and they said... well we want them to write a manual as well with instructions on how to use it in our system and have line charts and all that kind of shit in it.

In other words the story changed from what I was told the first time by SE to something else after I talked to George.:S

Also don't you think most companies would be happy to send them a free canopy to test in order to gain approval in that system, it would mean more possible sales. Personally I think SE has no interest in approving any other MFG's canopies, their only interested in forcing everyone to use strong SET mains and master reserves, or the new reserve in the new system.

Don't get me wrong here I like my SE TDM.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Marty,

Thanks for the reply. 1st. My thoughts of the FB posted bar napkin photo was that is was a joke and not real. 2nd. If you saying it the real deal, that is indeed good news for everyone wishing to fly other wings then a set canopy.

3rd. My post is just what happened when in Sept. 2010 I asked SE staff and then called George to ask him why he had not bothered to send a canopy... after he started laughing and said that is BS, I called back to SE and told them what he said... it was at this time I was told about all the extra stuff, now had I been told that to start with I would taken the time ask George to comply and send SE the stuff on behalf of those who have P. Aero canopies or would like to use his product line so that it is SB 22 compliant per SE.

Maybe George just don't want to fool with it or spend the time and money to draft up such info, IDK... All I know is if I owned a company that sold tandem parachutes and I didn't make my own HC, I would be trying to get it approved for use in as many HC's as I could, after all kind of hard to sell a product line if HC MFG's are saying only XYZ canopies are allowed in our system.

Has Ted or any other SE staff called George or Red & Nancy or John, and requested such info and a test canopy or two?
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

The FB napkin is the founding document of our relationship. I am still waiting for the drawings so that I may begin production. Should happen soon. Other manufacturers have been contacted with zero response that I am aware of.

Note: We plan to approve Icarus canopies in Dual Hawks as well, provided the pack volumes work out.

Cheers,
MJ