skydived19006

Tandem Manufacturers Suggested Rules

Maybe they all need to stop selling sport rigs with out their approved product line of mains, if you buy a system from them it's a complete system 100% or no sale.

If any one manufacturer did what you suggest in regard to sport rigs, they would sell zero rigs.

Repeat after me :
Aerodyne
Basik Air Concept
Parachute Systems
Parachutes de France
Firebird
Paratec
Strong
Mars (which also produce their own AAD)

At least all these manufacturers produce H/C's, reserves and mains... And they DO sell complete systems.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Where I see a major problem is when the manufacturer requires that only his components be used to jump. For example the main must be a sigma for a UPT manufactured tandem. That will be a huge issue IMO. There are many many TI's using Icarus tandem canopies. I know for a fact this is on the horizon...

Considering the major tandem manufacturers (UPT and Strong) sell containers to tandem factories that they know do not use their canopies, they are still at legal risk even if they stipulate that only their canopies must be used,as it is plainly obvious that they still supply their products to companies that ignore their reccomendations.

I know of quite a few DZ's that purchase MANY containers from UPT and Strong and do not buy thier mains.

So if a company is buying 20 containers every couple or few years and no main canopies, or reserve canopies for that matter, the manufacturer is knowingly providing the end user with a product that they know is not being used to their requirements.

A hard call, one DZ I know has 70 sigmas and not one sigma main; all Icarus! Is UPT going to stop selling 70 Sigma container and harness systems to this company every couple of years?

I think not, I know another comapny that get custom strong harneses containers (fuck knows why) with their logo etc, they must have purchased 100 strong containers and only a couple of set canopies over a decade ago.

Will Strong stop selling them their custom containers knowing that Hop 330's are going in them?

I think not.

Reality (money) always conquers the pipe draem that the manufactrers can decide what canopes go in their containers. They would be too worried about losing their biggest contracts to do so.

Some European or Asian manufacturer could then step in and take all their business of them because they got greedy.

Personally, I don't think Icarus or Jojo wings have anything to worry about.

Strong need to learn how to design a desent canopy before imposing/enforcing such aa rule anyway.

Set canopies are Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

At least the sigmas are a nice canopy.

I'd still take Icarus any day of the week though.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

And how many of those companies your talking about are in the USA and have to comply with the FAA rules of following the MFG's requirements?

And Pilfish, all of those companies that you list how many make it a requirement to buy only a complete rig for them with the canopies they say you can choose from to use in their system sport of tandem?

Strong tandem is the only one I see.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

As rhys said, companies can't be entirely blind to the canopy brand shopping that goes on.

I'm sort of joking, but if companies really wanted to stop others' canopies from being used, why not go after the big fish, the suppliers, instead of hassling the users? The suppliers are clearly the ones conspiring to get their canopies in others' rigs.

So let's see Strong and UPT putting their money where their mouth is, and suing the shit out of Icarus and Precision.

Instead of worrying about outsiders suing them, let them beat each other up and hurt the industry that way.

So let's see Strong and UPT putting their money where their mouth is, and suing the shit out of Icarus and Precision.

Then who would they have to go drinking and chasing hookers with@ PIA.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

And how many of those companies your talking about are in the USA and have to comply with the FAA rules of following the MFG's requirements?

Not sure, one of them is in the USA not too sure on your rules though.

The others are in australia and new zealand, but these are just the companies i have experience with, there are over 300 dz's in north america and most of those are in the US.

I reckon Icarus and Precision (among others) sell a fair few tandem canopies (main and reserve) in the USA, just read the threads on those particular canopies and see the US TM's that state they use them.

Each one of those represents a company that is not following the manufactures recommendations.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

All three manufacturers agree that spring-time refresher training is a good idea. They are just struggling to develop a simple on-line format for written tests.

Hi Rob, nobody is struggling that I am aware of.....lol. There are currently seven people involved in this process: 5 live in Florida, 1 in Kansas and 1 one up there by USPA. It was just an idea (I don't know who thought it up, I could have and I just don't remember maybe? ....lol) at a meeting we had in Deland like a week before we left for PIA. Nobody wants to rush this. The idea of a legitimate continuing education module is something everyone wants to see and when it's done it will be a good thing.

(I don't speak on behalf of any of the manufacturers, I'm just offering my personal observations of this process that I have been involved with.)
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

13. Report any cutaway.....
Stupid. Accidents/injuries, sure. But a random and routine chop?

19. All TI’s will be required to participate in the Continuing Education Module. The test will be available online. The format will be 3-question multiple choice....

The intent of reporting cutaways goes beyond just did someone get injured or not. There are so many tandem canopies out there today being operated on different systems with different line types, different sizes, exit weights, etc.

With today's modern technology seeing trends in potential gear issues/combinations is much easier than it was years ago. Let's face it, the reports of premature main container openings in freefall led to the advancements used in today's modern tandem systems to prevent that specific malfunction. That's the thought process behind such a request. To see any issue trends out there today that can potentially be resolved for tomorrow.

19) I don't know where the idea of 3 questions came up, but the module is intended to be a little more in depth than that. The idea being each year a TI reverifies they are aware of certain operational criteria (minimum exit altitudes for example), or as things change at the manufacturer or USPA rules level, it can be validated yearly who knows the new rules and who doesn't, hence the idea of continuing education.

I can be just as skeptical as the next person....lol, but trust me on this one, the intent is to actually do something exceptional here. Raise the bar, raise the standard in tandem jumping.

We are after all, professionals.

(I don't speak on behalf of the manufacturers, I have just been fortunate enough to have been a part of this 19 Commandment process)
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

Well, spun right it sounds like a good idea. In fact I now want to report all one of my malfunctions to someone!

Sounds like there needs to be a malfunction form so we report all the necessary data, such as line type and who'd canopies we're test jumping in which manufacturers containers.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Gathereing data in theory seems like a great idea, and I support it. Only problem is data is only as good as the data you receive. If everyone does not participate it will be skewed. or more importantly if a tandem parachute manufacture knows the data is used to determine compatibility they might not encourage participation. It would have to be a requirement with repercussions if not done.

Secondly- TI continuing education is an excellent thing and I also support this whole heartily. There are some new topics that some TI's have no clue about. I recently discussed a bag lock and some of the incidents where it didnt release as quick or smooth as it should have, risking entanglement. We spoke of an RSL disconnect prior to release and manually assist release before going to reserve. Albeit it was just a discussion and involved numerous 10,000 plus instructors. Some of the newer guys had no clue what we were speaking about. Once some guys get that rating they get into a routine and forget things change sometimes based on what is happening in the tandem world. I wouldnt mind a Tandem I/E standardization get together either. Maybe even an online blog just for I/E's to exchange some ideas and thoughts. It would be great if UPT had it on the website with user name and password access to it, so we can bounce things around and get up to date information on any incidents that occur around the country or world. That scary word standardization is not a bad thing.

Sounds like there needs to be a malfunction form so we report all the necessary data, such as line type and who'd canopies we're test jumping in which manufacturers containers.

http://www.apf.asn.au/Docs---Forms/All-Publications/All-Publications/default.aspx

Scroll down, there is a few links to incident forms. The APF has been doing it for years.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

With today's modern technology seeing trends in potential gear issues/combinations is much easier than it was years ago. Let's face it, the reports of premature main container openings in freefall led to the advancements used in today's modern tandem systems to prevent that specific malfunction. That's the thought process behind such a request. To see any issue trends out there today that can potentially be resolved for tomorrow.

The problem is data often comes back to bite you.... Didn't the USPA release incident data at one point in a civil trial?

I am not so sure I want data in the hands of an organization (any) that they may release it to save their own bacon.

I can imagine that if DZ "A" sends a report about every mal, and DZ "B" does not. It could be taken that DZ "A" has more malfunctions.

And I could see a manufacturer supplying that data to an investigation. In this case DZ "A" would look like a more dangerous DZ.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

" ... if DZ "A" sends a report about every mal, and DZ "B" does not. It could be taken that DZ "A" has more malfunctions.

And I could see a manufacturer supplying that data to an investigation. In this case DZ "A" would look like a more dangerous DZ.

"

We went through this scenario during the 1990s, when Hemet, California submitted a written report on every single cutaway, torn canopy, etc.
Note that we were using first-generation main canopies made of F-111 fabric and saturated with salty, desert dust. With all but the very best packers, they opened HARD.
Sure, statistics made Hemet look bad, but stats were never cited in lawsuits.
Hemet eventually closed because of an overall slump in the skydiving business (late 1990s) and Don Balch decided that he could no longer compete with Twin turbine DZs like Perris and Elsinore and California City and Hollister and Apple Valley and Brown's Field.

Sure, statistics made Hemet look bad, but stats were never cited in lawsuits.

Yes, but I can think of at least once where the USPA (actually a BOD member) released information about an accident to the plaintiffs in a lawsuit against a DZO.

IIRC the BOD member was John DeSantis and it was about a fatality at a Nevada DZ. 1997/98????

I think a camera guy collided someone else right after opening.

There was a lawsuit and the BOD member released several hundred pages of information without a court order.

This is why I think reporting any incident (like a cutaway where nothing else happened) is a bad idea. That data can and will be used in lawsuits.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Are you going to run scared from every dagnab lawyer on this planet?

The primary goal of collecting accident/incident/malfunction/close call statistics is to recognize patterns before they kill too many people. Good statisticians know how to "mine" accident data for patterns, while quietly forgetting the names of the guilty bastards.

We do agree that no AIM report - submitted to USPA/CSPA/BPA/APF/FFP, etc. should ever be allowed as evidence in court (with names intact). That would be a breach of confidentiality.

Are you going to run scared from every dagnab lawyer on this planet?

Not being stupid is not the same as running scared. I don't tend to provide the lynch mod with the rope.

Good statisticians know how to "mine" accident data for patterns, while quietly forgetting the names of the guilty bastards.

See even you hold a bias about the topic.
And lawyers know how to put those names back when they sue.

We do agree that no AIM report - submitted to USPA/CSPA/BPA/APF/FFP, etc. should ever be allowed as evidence in court (with names intact). That would be a breach of confidentiality.

Yet it has ALREADY happened.

Idiocy is to ignore the risk and blindly provide the data that will be used to prosecute you.

IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED.

Sadly, lawyers are trained to "extrapolate," "massage data," "speculate," "manipulate," any data to support their case.
If you worry about your accident report coming back to bite you in court, simply submit it (via a third party) to USPA/tandem manufacturer, etc. with names, dates and locations blank.
If a lawyer still wants to "extrapolate" your data, he will have a thin case in court.

My dim view of lawyers was learned in divorce court.
As I have said previously, any lawyer is able to quote anything I write on dz.com ... PROVIDED he pays my $10,000 - per quote - Expert Witness fee. I have already assisted Dan Poynter and the RCMP in investigating parachute accidents.
If the fool ... er ... lawyer ... forgets to quote me, or pay me, I will ask the judge to rule his evidence inadmissible in court.

Maybe a more blunt retort would be "Massage this ..." ... as I drop my pants in court ...
Hah!
Hah!

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger
CSPA Rigger Examiner
Strong Tandem Examiner

We do agree that no AIM report - submitted to USPA/CSPA/BPA/APF/FFP, etc. should ever be allowed as evidence in court (with names intact). That would be a breach of confidentiality

Confidentiality based on what? Who has a legally backed confidentiality agreement with the USPA or otherwise? Even if you did, what is the consequence to them for breaking it? Lawyers and doctors can be disbarred or lose their medical license for breaking confidentiality, what penalty would the USPA suffer that it would be worth holding on to confidential info if releasing that info would shake them free from a lawsuit?

The penalty for breaking confidentiality would have to be greater than that of being named in a lawsuit, otherwise, the USPA would dodge the lawsuit bullet by releasing said info, and deal with the lesser problem of breaking confidentiality. Of course, that's all based on a non-existant confidentiality agreement.

What we need is an uninterested party, immune to skydivign related lawsuits, to submit the reports to. Piltos have the ASRS (Aviation Safety Reporting System) where they can confidentaily file a report in the wake of an incident. ASRS will remove identifying factors in the report before putting in their database, and the FAA has agreed to waive fees or punishments for a pilot who files a report with ASRS in the wake of unintentional violations. Pilots are encouraged to file based on the confidentaility and the amnesty offered by the FAA, but more importantly, the ASRS is motivatred to adhere to it's confidentialty agreement based on the idea that as soon as they break it, pilots will be less forthcoming and likely to submit reports. Seeing as collecting and disseminating these reports are the sole purpose of the ASRS, losing the confidence of the flying community would be a death sentence for the ASRS.

The USPA, in comparison, has other interests to protect, and those could come into conflict with maintaining confidentiality.

[Piltos have the ASRS (Aviation Safety Reporting System)

I was wondering about that. Presumably they have some good confidentiality protections because they are the government.

Is there anything in the FAA / NASA ASRS rules prohibiting skydivers from flooding their system with malfunction reports etc? Would they deep six the reports or be obligated to catalogue them? After all, skydivers are users of the airspace, have to follow FAA rules and use TSO'd equipment.

It probably wouldn't do much to make the FAA move beyond its usual glacial pace when it comes to skydiving, but it is a kind of fun thought to swamp them with reports and try to get official protection of a confidential reporting system for skydiving.

Presumably they have some good confidentiality protections because they are the government.

The confidentiality comes from the fact that the ASRS only has one function, and that is to get pilots to file honest, timely reports. If they were to break the confidentiality, pilots would lose their confidence in filing reports, and go back to trying to sweep things under the rug.

In terms of skydivers using that system, I think that reporting every malfunction across the board is overkill. Every stuck brake, toggle fire, or uncocked PC doesn't need it's own report.

I think there's some merit to the idea of reporting tandem malfucntions because tandem rigs are being jumped by 'professionals' in a commercial environment. I would expect the number of stupid malfunctions to be lower, and that there would be more to learn from the other malfunctions and that it would be worth sifting through all the tension knots to get to the 'good stuff'.

In Canada we use a confidential system for filing AIM (Accident, Incident, Malfunction) reports. It is enforced by the fact that if you do not file one in a timely fashion you can not access the CSPA insurance or defense fund.
We ensure confidentiality by a policy of receiving the report, stripping the needed data from it, and then destroying it. That is the only way to ensure that it can't ever be accessed by a lawyer or any other officer of any court.
Once years ago when I was on the CSPA BoD I was called to testify at an Inquest into a local fatality. They wanted to know why CSPA would destroy the report filed by the principals of the DZ. They were VERY unhappy when I explained to them that the policy was in place to give people confidence that it could never be subpenaed. I would say that the Judge's complexion darkened several shades when he realized the logic of the policy.
This teaches two lessons. First, it is possible to protect reports but still gather good statistics. And second, if you want people to give you information you need to protect them and make it worth their while.
You can always preach that it is for the good of the sport that you want info, but in reality why should I stick my neck out if you can't protect me?

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I was not at PIA, the following are notes a friend took at the seminar. I'm surprised that I didn't see it already up here. All tandem manufacturers teaming up to agree on some standards they'd like to see.

From PIA 2011 in Reno, February 15
presenters: Mark Procos UPT, Bill Morrisey of Strong Enterprises, Tom Noonan PD, Nancy LaRiviere Jumpshack, Frank Carreras German TIE
Present in attendance of approximately 150 people including: Bill Booth UPT, Ted Strong, Jay Stokes USPA President, Jim Crouch USPA Director of S&T, Ed Scott USPA Ex Director, almost everyone a TI, 20 or so T I/E’s, represented from the U.S. and all continents internationally as well.

19 commandments of Tandem Parachute Operations
1. No jumpers under the age of legal majority
2. Waivers – A Must
3. Tandem Student harness should be in jumpable configuration before boarding a/c
4. Minimum Exit Altitude 7,500’ (normal tandem operation)
5. Drogue must be deployed within 3 to 5 seconds.
6. Handle Checks in the order you would use them. (before board, in a/c, before exit, after tossing drogue)
7. RW must cease by 6,500’. There will be a briefing, which includes the student.
8. Pull Drogue Release by 5,500’.
9. Under Canopy by 4,000’.
10. Maintain adequate [100’] separation under canopy.
11. No Hook Turns. (No turns over 90 degrees under 500’)
12. Stabilized on final by 100’. There is no reason not to.
13. Report any cutaway … or equipment failure that may or may not have resulted in a cutaway, whether or not there is an injury. Report any injury.
14. Videographer (outside) Minimum experience: a) 500 RW jumps with 100 camera jumps, a currency requirement of 100 jumps in the previous year, or b) 300 jumps, and has passed air skills of a USPA Coach Course.
15. 100 tandem jumps before using a Handcam.
16. Currency requirements - 3 tandems over the last 90 days
a) under 500 tandem jumps – Strong used to say 1 jump every 30 days
b) over 500 tandem jumps – Strong used to say 1 jump every 90 days
--if multiple ratings, “a tandem jump is a tandem jump” according to Strong. Not sure hold the “old” currency will change; more on that later.
17. Adhere to Manufacturer’s maintenance and packing instructions
18. There must be a minimum passenger briefing (before boarding a/c) according to FAR 105.45
19. All TI’s will be required to participate in the Continuing Education Module. The test will be available online. The format will be 3-question multiple choice.

Any one see what was on page 64 of Parachutist this month? or did we all stop and go "Uh Oh" at the FAA Boss' Letter?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!