Rover

3000 tandems, 4 chuckers.

Had a girl start puking on takeoff(she told me later she got extremely motion sick.. thanks for the heads up). I got a pastic bag from the pilot. She puked all the way to altitude. I asked if she still wanted to jump and she was all about it. She put the bag in her jumpsuit, didn't puke in freefall but as soon as the canopy opened, started again and puked all the way to landing. A plastic bag doesn't work very well under canopy...[:/]

Man I have never heard of someone puking in freefall! that would suck huge balls.

Anyone have that happen to them?

Happened to a friend of mine years ago. Then, under canopy, the chunks and globs started falling all over and around them.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

I'm not a TM, but I used to always to up to WFFC in Rantoul and pack tandems for a few of the guys there (Chief, Mel from OK, Byran Welch, and Mark Hogue).

I saw a chucker that I still cannot figure out the physics of, maybe some of you TM's can help me. She was a little 110-pound thing and started doing the dry heaves after deployment. Byran Welch did a sharp 360 as she started puking, in order to have her spew away. The pair landed, and after a quick inspection of his Rig, not a drop of barf to be seen. He threw it down, and I started packing. Yes, she puked alright, and every drop of it was in the main pack tray. Not a drop outside, every bit went in inside, right where the lines lay. Corndog and funnel cake from the vendors.
I just try to imagine this girl twisting her body around far enough to make 100% of her barf in the packtray... Man, have any of you ever seen that?
=========Shaun ==========

Just stumbled upon an animated GIF. Puking seems to be part of the ride, whatever the ride.
BTW: On our flight to Mallorca I collected the puke bags from my and my wife's seat pouches. The girl next to us looked surprised and also sort of "OMG, who steals puke bags?" My wife started to tell her that I am a skydiver, and wanted to explain further (TI, students might get sick...) but "skydiver" was already sufficient to the girl. She said "Well, then..." and handed me her bag as well :) Should be 'nuff for the next year, huh? :P Just kidding.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

OK, never been puked on, but I do remember A big guy under canopy before I could say or do anything, honked up a HUGE loogie, turned and spit. It hit my bare right bicep and stuck. Gross, he saw what he had done and profusely apologized, so did I as I wiped it on his jumpsuit. Not to mention all the stuff that hit my face and goggles in freefall before I learned to offset.

in reply to ".........Not to mention all the stuff that hit my face and goggles in freefall before I learned to offset. "

:o
thats gotta be a workplace health and safety issue.:D

Is there a case for TM's wearing full face, hermetically sealed helm ....and long gloves as well ? of course it'd be too hot , it doesn't happen often enough etc

and yep, I've copped a couple of spewers but then learnt not to spiral the canopy.

OK, never been puked on, but I do remember A big guy under canopy before I could say or do anything, honked up a HUGE loogie, turned and spit. It hit my bare right bicep and stuck. Gross, he saw what he had done and profusely apologized, so did I as I wiped it on his jumpsuit.

Your reaction was perfect, I guess his look was priceless.
I only once had a guy whom I had to tell under canopy to please stop houching (I guessed he was preparing to spit out a really huge chunk of snot, bah.) This guy was one of the very few students that I had problems with - in fact I felt him disgusting because he behaved like a troglodyte on extra testosterone and was slimy-grimy-grubby, argl... Means: One of the very, very few occasions I felt like a prossie :S

Not to mention all the stuff that hit my face and goggles in freefall before I learned to offset.

One ride was... well, let's tell: All of a sudden, at about 3000 m my goggles were covered with drops. I thought: WTH? There ain't no clouds, what's up? Tried to wipe my goggles which made things worse, they were kinda slimy then. Under canopy - I already suspected what had happened - I asked the guy. (It's always guy doing grimy things, bummer!) "Yeah man, I felt some pressure in my nose and just pressed it out!" he said. I should have wiped it on his face, but well... I told him what he had done, almost puked due to disgust because my face had also been sprinkled and right after landing I hurried to the washroom. Bah!

My original military jump instructor (25 years ago) had a twisted sense of humour. He'd walk to the aircraft with an airline sick bag tucked into the front of his harness and loudly tell all the first time jumpers that he didn't know why he did this job as it always made him airsick.

Once the A/C got off the ground and making its way up to jump altitude, he'd start heaving and then grab the bag and pretend to puke in it then look in the bag and show it to his partner in crime.

The other instructor then sticks his hand in the bag, grabs a handful of the small pot of coleslaw that was poured into the bag before they left the ground and eats it.

At this point at least 3 or 4 students would start to puke followed by 2 or 3 more when the noise and the smell got to where they were sitting.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Years ago in the Marines we were in an Amtrac doing a practice amphibious assault on the beach at Camp Lejeune NC. It's rather dark and cramped inside, also smelling of diesel fuel and rocking as we droned towards the beach. I took my helmet off and acted like I was heaving in it. We had a new Lt. and when he realized I was faking it he started swearing at me. Goddammit Rafuse(my last name) knock it off, someone might be on the verge of being sea sick and you'll just egg them on. Well not 30 seconds go by and guess who's heaving in his helmet? Priceless! Funny as hell. Don't think I would want to do that in the otter though.

Years ago, in GDR times when "parachuting" was 99% military or para-military, an instructor - who most obviously should have done anything else but "parachuting" - asked a student for their helmet and... yepp, started purging. Since I only was told this (by two independent reliable sources, though) I dunno how the story continued but I bet the student got out without his helmet...

Another story: I sat in a cramped Caravan, years ago. Someone farted and it was a real stinker. A girl who sat in the middle couldn't bear it, took her Z1 and started chucking.

A group of AFF students did almost the same: Went to the nearby bistro and had a really good lunch. One of 'em puked on her canopy ride down.

I usually ask tandem students whether they had "a little" to eat - "to prevent you from fainting due to low blood sugar level" - and give a little hint that a huge meal (especially with loads of fat and cream and stuff) isn't helpful either ;)

Fainting... gives me an idea for a similar thread B|

Man I have never heard of someone puking in freefall! that would suck huge balls.

Anyone have that happen to them?

Back in the 80's before the regs got tight, I'd do a tandem or two during the 'press day' part of an airshow.

It would usually involve taking a local media person up, with them doing an in aircraft show promo, the free-fall vid and then some post landing thoughts...

One cool one was a weather girl who spoke (lip synced) into a big fake hand held microphone during the video, they later dubbed in that days weather.

One not so cool one was in Fla...
I was taking the local sportscaster, a retired tight end for the Tampa Bay Bucs. Early 30's, big guy about my size. Obviously hired for his good looks & football persona...he wasn't the saltiest cracker in the box.

"Mr. Hollywood" and his film crew were making 10 times more out of the jump than anyone else ever had...all the hype, 'thrill-seeker-death DEfyer-edge pusher' You name the cliche and they used it.

It was getting rather difficult to get even the basic instruction related to him, with the attention span of a goldfish and the constant need to say something brilliant for the camera, I finally had to insist we go off alone for a short time...following a make-up touch up he eventually complied.

He started stammering a bit when I let him know that he would need to be 'involved' in both the free-fall and canopy part of our upcoming adventure...and any grievous errors on either of our part would probably be the 5 o'clock lead on his news station and not a 1 minute fluff piece during the sports segment. :o

He did at least start paying attention...then it started getting a bit weird, he asked if he could wear a Bucs helmet during the jump.

I suggested a standard frap hat as me catching a face-full of football helmet during opening wasn't conducive to a soft on target landing.

He then took off his hair and put on the helmet...out came the green contacts, they are for the camera, has 20/20...he then popped out his teeth and handed THEM to an assistant. :S

We're stepping on the chopper skid at 10,500 when he looks back at me all white and says,"I'm trusting you with my life, so don't fuck up"...I said the feeling is mutual, nodded at the vidiot and off we go!

I no more than get the drogue out and us turned to the sun when I could SWEAR im tasting eggs...yeah, eggs and some bacon, maybe a hint of some coffee in there too!

Figured out pretty quick what was happening since MY breakfast was the usual OJ & Oatmeal...:|

As I turned my head to try and spit some of the chunks out of my mouth, the second barrage begins and now I got pancakes (i hope) stuck BEHIND my sunglasses! >:(

My vidiot is laughing so hard I'm surprised he had the good sense to fly behind us to hopefully at least, get some usable footage...

Landing in front of his camera crew a PA hands 'Mr. Nerves of Steel' a mic, which he just drops and say 'Wrap..I need to go lay down'

And THAT kids...is why you never see ME smiling in a tandem vid, MY mouth is shut tight! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Was chucked on again today. Have a tandem to chuck ratio of 1 in 750. 2 males, 2 females.

What are your 'stats'? :S

My "average" is one per year, but I got twice in a row a couple of years ago down in Z-Hills. For reference, it always seems to happen to me under canopy at around 1500 feet: right around the time that their adrenaline has caught up to them. I have only ever been barfed on once in freefall and it was not pleasant.

Chuck