leslie_louise

Hand Cam Equipment

Wondering what hand cam equipment you are flying and what the pros and cons for your system is. I’m looking at changing its hand cam equipment and editing procedures and I just wanted to get a feel for what different instructors are using and what they like and dislike about their equipment and editing procedures. Thanks…

I just started jumping a Go Pro with this:

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/gopro-hd-hero-handcam-glove.html

I debated between that and a CX110, but the cost of the CX, lens, etc made it so I just grabbed the Go Pro.

So far I like it.

I have no editing exp..... We hand ours in and someone else edits them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This is our handcam charging station at the DZ. Both the single and double camera versions are available at Chutingstar, and they're the same model that Ron mentioned. We make them here in Lompoc, CA, so my opinion is probably a bit biased... but they're great for our workflow: We shoot a tandem video and/or photos, then drop one or two cards off to the editors and pick up fresh cards. The editors process the photos/videos while we're on the next jump.

We have two editing computers, each running Vegas Pro with Production Assistant (VASST NLE systems). Those systems are on a LAN along with a NAS and one lightweight computer that's only used to upload spec vids/photos to the NAS. Also on that LAN are four WD liveTV Plus units, each hooked up to its own 32" LCD screen. We'll often shoot handcams of students who didn't order video, then our editors will show the vids/photos and often sell one or both (HD vids from a GoPro look great on a big screen). Sometimes the students will decline, but may call back a week later. They're all stored by date, so we pull them up & sell them.

That whole system supports us running back-to-back PAC or Caravan loads all day while we're handing out finished discs to students in about 15 minutes on average

Chris

That whole system supports us running back-to-back PAC or Caravan loads all day while we're handing out finished discs to students in about 15 minutes on average

Chris

That big ole camera helmet looks so out of place there.

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

I made my own go pro glove there are heaps of different ones now they all work, and use realxtream editing system.

In 5 minutes I can have 2 or 3 dvd's producing (the load), and in 30 mins (while the load is up)can have 3 completed dvd's. Once ques up everything is automated exept for putting a new disk in the slot.

No need for a dedicated editor. or to be pissing around for 10-15 mins per dvd.

The DVD's come with royalty free music, have slowmotion of the freefall after the jump is over, runs the ext 3 times one in slow motion, and uploads the video to the.

The RXT system will be compatable with avchd and .mov very soon too so will be great for everybody but for now it is limited to MP4 and MPG. it is still in Beta but will be complete very soon, you can trial it for free on the website, www.realxstream.com
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I use a Sony HDR-CX150 and edit my DVD's on my HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop using Pinnacle Studio 14 HD editing suit.I have made a template,all i do is add the new footage play around with the music a little,add jumpers particulars and hit make dvd and leave and do your thing.It takes a little longer than the traditional way with a mixer and real time editing but I am very happy with the end result.camera has enough internal memory for a whole weekend of jumping and will take less than a minute to download all footage onto your pc for a fresh camera.All is portable so you can set up anywhere.....
TQ
I am me and you are you, so deal with it!!!
www.skydivepe.com