aerialcameraman

tandem canopy size

I'm a tandem instructor and have been for 3 years. I have done skydive's with very light people and very heavy people ( not exceeding 225lbs). The new canopy, the firebolt 328, I beleave is the size, is very small. It is getting small for a tandem canopy. It is not to far off our largest student canopy, which only holds one person, not two. What do you other instructors think ?

I think the definition of "small" when pertaining to a tandem canopy has more to do with wingloading, and instructor experience/ability than anything else.

I'm pretty comfortable taking up to my max weight limit (235) on a 330.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Considering the Icarus 330 is the best all round work horse on the market, some will disagree and many will agree. NO, a 328 is not too small.

It seem with a number like 328, it is out there specifically to compete with Icarus 330.

Drop a couple of feet of the size and it is instantly cooler, no? :D.

I will take any sized customer on a 330.

A 400 is to big, a 389 is too big....

A student canopy over 300 sq.ft is too big...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

A big student canopy is flown by a big student, possibly on their first jump. A small tandem canopy is flown by a TI, hpoefully not on their first tandem.

Canopy size as related to safety all comes down to the pilot. Being realistic about their abilities and the conditions they're jumping in are the two key features that promote safe use of small canopies. If you can account for those, small canopies can be safely jumped.

I was just seeing what all your thoughts were. I never have jumped any tandem canopy but the sigma 370 and icarus 400 . I would love to try one of the smaller ones since you say there better on the arms. I broke my elbows on a fall off a roof. So it is sometimes a struggle to pull the toodles all the way down so I start the flare a little early. I usually land on my feet. Im a canopy pilot and love to fly my canopies. I jump a velo and katana and have almost 2000 jumps. I know fast I just wanted others opinions since I've never jumped one under 370

As far as I can count I have 700 +

Better update your profile before all the 'Super_on_line_good_guys' Rheme you for getting a tandem rating at 300 jumps...

haha:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Sounds like you have the skill, and experience to be trying a 330ish, of course that's said without seeing you fly.

It's a unique skill we have t have, build, and master, learning to fly a different wingloading on the same canopy every jump.

Remember the same concerns about downsizing apply. Faster reactions to the same input, higher speed, change in recovery arc.

Also keep in mind there's not always a good reason to be jumping a 330. Unless you're doing 1000 tandems a year, it's probably not the right tool for taking the big boys. It's also may not be the right teaching canopy for advanced tandems.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

anything bigger than 360 is waste of fabric.
but seems like some TI needs every bit of it.
some TI really get their tandem rating at 500 jumps you know..

I Disagree, a Canopy is a tool (in this case) to get a pair of individuals, safely to the ground.

A 330 may be good for one wing loading and a 400 good for another. A T-I should be picking the right tool for the job and adjusting to every individual students needs.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Yeah, you're THE MAN.
Reminds me more than a little of this thread at WO >:(

Our workhorses here are EZ 384 by Paratec (the EZ stands for elliptical zero-porosity). They require some effort when it comes to flaring but are very reliable and work both on low-wind and high-wind days very reasonable. The new Twin Century tandem canopy by Paratec is uhm... 360 sqft AFAIK and easier to steer and flare, but as long as the old EZs do, they are used. :)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I agree. I have not jumped the 285 but would love to give it a go. However I have some experience on the 300's and if given the choice I would not fly anything bigger. The 330's are an awesome canopy too. Most DZ down here seem to run them with tandem pilots I know up to 110+ kg. and everyone loves them. I actually dont see any reason to go any bigger. All our new tandem pilots at our company jump them with no problem. I'm only 70 kg so not the biggest tandem master out there. But I have jumped the 300 with up to 110kg and they still have plenty of flare!! Single or double toggle set up they still have one of the lightest toggle pressures out there. To me for the smaller tandem pilot is the best canopy on the market. And I would only buy the NZ one. ;)

I Disagree, a Canopy is a tool (in this case) to get a pair of individuals, safely to the ground.

A 330 may be good for one wing loading and a 400 good for another. A T-I should be picking the right tool for the job and adjusting to every individual students needs.

Matt

I love the 285 and the 300, but i do believe the 330 is the best all round work horse. The 364's come in handy occasionally but anything bigger than that is too big i reckon.

Keep in mind the bigger the canopy the more it will be affected by turbulence, and a big canopy lightly loaded is more likely do injure someone than a smaller canopy heavilly loaded.

Remember the more forward speed the better the performance and landing

Matt

I love the 285 and the 300, but i do believe the 330 is the best all round work horse. The 364's come in handy occasionally but anything bigger than that is too big i reckon.

Keep in mind the bigger the canopy the more it will be affected by turbulence, and a big canopy lightly loaded is more likely do injure someone than a smaller canopy heavilly loaded.

Remember the more forward speed the better the performance and landing

I have spoken to numerous people and combined with my experience, I believe the last line you wrote is a myth in regards to ALL canopies.

Yes, certain models are designed in such a way they handle better in higher loadings and thus are faster. SO those canopies will need to be utilized as you wrote.

Canopies are tools, no single canopy will work for ALL loads and conditions. AS Instructors we need to be able to select the right tool and keep our students safe first and foremost.

All canopies are effected by turbulence. Smaller ones "zip" through faster and bigger ones "truck" through slower. The trade offs are the smaller canopies have less exposure and less time to react to it. The Bigger canopies more exposure and more time to react.

Matt

Canopies are tools, no single canopy will work for ALL loads and conditions.

An Icarus 330 will perform for all customers that are within the operational limits of the equipment, and will perform in all winds that are suitable for operations.

Others will also.

So I find that statement to be a little far fetched.

Sometimes the winds at 3-4 k are stronger than 25-30 knots while the landing conditions are less then 15 knots.

A smaller canopy will help you alot in these conditions.

Nobody (in their right mind) enjoys going backwards.

A 365 or 389 etc etc. are too big for some conditions that are operable, at least for me (75kg) anyway.

Canopies are tools, no single canopy will work for ALL loads and conditions.

An Icarus 330 will perform for all customers that are within the operational limits of the equipment, and will perform in all winds that are suitable for operations.

Others will also.

So I find that statement to be a little far fetched.

Sometimes the winds at 3-4 k are stronger than 25-30 knots while the landing conditions are less then 15 knots.

A smaller canopy will help you alot in these conditions.

Nobody (in their right mind) enjoys going backwards.

A 365 or 389 etc etc. are too big for some conditions that are operable, at least for me (75kg) anyway.

Thank You for Confirming my point, no single Canopy will work for ALL conditions.

Matt

What is your point?

no canopy can perform in 50 knots ground speed or with a 400lb passenger and a 300lb instructor?

You lost me there bro?

I am a small TM and I can take up to an 280lb passenger. Being in New Zealand I can also legally take a 70 lb child.

I will use the same canopy for these in all conditions from 0 knots to 25 knots. these are our operating limits. and the canopies we have will work well in all those conditions.

What is your point?