skydived19006

What US DZs Offer Hand Cam Tandem Vid

We’ve been offering hand cam video as an option at my DZ since 05. This year we added a GoPro shooting stills, and late last summer (2010) I made the decision to eliminate outside video (that discussion has been covered). I was wondering how many DZs around the country are offering HC as an option. Well, I was also wondering what the going rate might be. We sell HC video with GoPro stills for $65, $35 of which goes to the TI.

http://www.aircapitaldropzone.com/tandemvideo.htm

So, who offers HC?

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

They wear 2 go pro's????

Can you show a shot of the setup? I can't really imagine two.

But I know a few DZ's that only offer handcam footage, and the one I am working at now offers both.

I still think the outside video is better footage, except for the interview right after opening... But can understand the desire to pack 2 tandems in a cessna with no video.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Google isn't very helpful, but I did find pricing anywhere from $40 for an raw GoPro video, to $155 but that's South African dollars.

Multimedia Packages & Rates
Handcam Video from $40.00
Our least expensive way to get the best video footage of your life. This option is the raw footage of your skydive saved on file in a MP4 format for you to take home and edit yourself.

This one was South Africa:
PRICES
EXIT HEIGHT - FREEFALL - PRICE
8,000ft – 25 seconds – normally $399.00 CURRENT SPECIAL 8,000ft $319.00
10,000ft – 40 seconds – normally $479.00 CURRENT SPECIAL 10,000ft $389.00
12,000ft – 50 seconds – normally $545.00 CURRENT SPECIAL 12,000ft $439.00
14,000ft – 60 seconds – normally $650.00 CURRENT SPECIAL 14,000ft $499.00
NEW SPECIAL - 8,000ft skydive and Handcam DVD for only $399!

Another SA DZ:
DIGITAL MEDIA >>>
Hand Cam DVD $130.00
Hand Cam DVD & Photos $155.00
Dedicated DVD $174.00

They wear 2 go pro's????

Can you show a shot of the setup? I can't really imagine two.

It's a Sony PC in a glove with a GoPro strapped in front. I don't have any pictures of the camera setup, but there's another thread with one or two pics.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Hey birds,
I am over the pond so just for your information, we usualy shoot HC vids and pics ( CX100+hypeye D photo kit ) during our Tandem jumps.
We sell HC vids for 120 US$ and pics for 20 US$ ( 350 US$ the tandem jump , 110 US$ to the TI )
Blue sky
Taz

Hey birds,
I am over the pond so just for your information, we usualy shoot HC vids and pics ( CX100+hypeye D photo kit ) during our Tandem jumps.
We sell HC vids for 120 US$ and pics for 20 US$ ( 350 US$ the tandem jump , 110 US$ to the TI )
Blue sky
Taz

What kind of photo quality do you get with that set up?

Sounds like good money to the TI from over here.

Here's a GoPro still in full res. http://www.aircapitaldropzone.com/images/GOPR0176.JPG

AC DZ

Hey birds,
Blue sky
Taz

What kind of photo quality do you get with that set up?

Sounds like good money to the TI from over here.

Here's a GoPro still in full res. http://www.aircapitaldropzone.com/images/GOPR0176.JPG

How many of your shots from the same jump turn out that nice ?
As I understand that a shot every 2 seconds will generate at least a few keepers, am I right ?
Got any examples with overcast skies and dying light ?

How many of your shots from the same jump turn out that nice ?
As I understand that a shot every 2 seconds will generate at least a few keepers, am I right ?
Got any examples with overcast skies and dying light ?

We jump from 10,000' so you get about 15 shots in free fall, we'll pause on the step for a couple of shots, those are always good pictures. The free fall pictures are typical free fall pictures with faces distorted by the wind, but when the student smiles at the camera waives, etc they're just as good as outside video, just fewer perspectives (no pictures from the drogue looking down, obvious limitations.

Lighting is just as much an issue as with traditional video. Low clouds below us give nice bottom up lighting, high thin overcast with harsh contrast is the worst, but that's the same as any pictures unless shooting with a flash. For high contrast clouds it works better to shoot more from the side as opposed to down looking straight up. The GoPro HD works ok with low light, but not if you're pushing past sunset, well not that I'd know since we're always on the ground before the sun officially sets (clouds on the horizon give an "early sunset"). I'd have to dig up a few "lesser pictures."

Regardless, that's all off topic. Who's offering HC in the US?

AC DZ

Both 182 DZs near me here in western MI offer HC. One that I am more familiar with is only HC at $70. The other is going that way I am sure.

Any 182 DZs out there that don't offer HC and are not going to?
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Any 182 DZs out there that don't offer HC and are not going to?

I know of at least one that will not do HC. They train Tandem Progression so the instructor running video would get in the way of the training, or at least that's the thought. Another hurdle with it is bringing new TIs in the rotation. They can't be in the schedule to work a "share" since they have to get the numbers before taking on the task.

AC DZ

Two go pros very nice. Give you the opp to shoot stills only and have over 100 pics easy. Its an easy sell. Its the best quality still avail for HC imho and Ive been doing HC for 8 years or so starting with PC 330, pc1000, cx12 now gopros.

I agree on the stills, but it seems that there's no image stabilization and the video is more shaky. Additionally for those of us who edit analog, mini DV works better. There is a market for stills only, it's an easy sell at the right price!!

AC DZ

There is a huge demand for stills! We offered hand-cam this summer for $79, outside vid with stills for a massive $143 (basically an attempt of price it out) and I was amazed at how many customers requested outside video just so they could have the still photos. There were many weekends that we had to tell them it wasn't available just because I couldn't fly the 182 all day with one tandem pair. I was consider selling a stills only package for some where around the $40-$50 mark, but I'm worried significantly more people would take this option over the video, cutting into my bottom dollar as well as my instructors.

There is a huge demand for stills! We offered hand-cam this summer for $79, outside vid with stills for a massive $143 (basically an attempt of price it out) and I was amazed at how many customers requested outside video just so they could have the still photos. There were many weekends that we had to tell them it wasn't available just because I couldn't fly the 182 all day with one tandem pair. I was consider selling a stills only package for some where around the $40-$50 mark, but I'm worried significantly more people would take this option over the video, cutting into my bottom dollar as well as my instructors.

I simply eliminated outside video a few months after we started doing the hand cam with go pro stills. Same reason, hauling one tandem at a time on the 182, and we don't have dedicated videots (tandem guys trade out).

I think that we run hand cam video on 60% +/- of our tandems. Surely if we offered a stills only package some of the video customers would drop back, but some of the remaining 40% would purchase the stills. So, it could affect the bottom line in either direction. Sending more folks away with pictures that they'll post, print, email, hang at work, etc. is obviously going to be good advertising! In the end as long as the customers walk away happy your bottom line will thrive as well.

Edit to add: I had not really thought about the fact that a low cost stills package could be considered an advertising item. If we push have 80% of customers walking away with some form of photo evidence it has to be good for business!

AC DZ

I agree on the stills, but it seems that there's no image stabilization and the video is more shaky.

It takes a bit of practice and adjusting your technique to create smoother videos with the GoPro. Here's one from a couple days ago, shot with the dual-cam GoPro glove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_NCiL6aLyU

This customer originally bought photos, I just hit record on the bottom cam during jump run and we sold the video on the ground.

So, the two GoPros are stacked one on top of the other, or side by side? Is the glove something that you guys put together? Would you post a picture of it?

Also, nice job on the video it was pretty stable. Looks good.

AC DZ

So, the two GoPros are stacked one on top of the other, or side by side? Is the glove something that you guys put together? Would you post a picture of it?

Also, nice job on the video it was pretty stable. Looks good.

Thanks!

They're stacked on top of each other, but the top cam is offset to the rear enough to allow access to record button and mic on the bottom cam. Side-by-side would have made it more of a hassle to remove cards and to plug in power cables... that's why we chose stacked. Some photos are on my page (scroll down past the single-cam glove).
http://www.funjump.com/products.html

The design is finalized now, so in a few days I'll update that page with more closeup photos of the final rev.

Chris

$89 video or Pictures
$120 for both
CX-12 for video or video and pictures
GoPro with Funjump.com gloves for pictures
On 2011 season we wanna use GoPro for video and pictures with dual GoPro glove.
I wish I could jump with my CX-12 and take pictures with my GoPro all the time.
I tried to combine both together and the final product was GREAT but the glove set up was awful. [:/] I'll try it again with a CX-110/150.

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

$89 video or Pictures
$120 for both
CX-12 for video or video and pictures
GoPro with Funjump.com gloves for pictures
On 2011 season we wanna use GoPro for video and pictures with dual GoPro glove.
I wish I could jump with my CX-12 and take pictures with my GoPro all the time.
I tried to combine both together and the final product was GREAT but the glove set up was awful. [:/] I'll try it again with a CX-110/150.

Pricing is a bit of an issue for me. A friend told me about a video and still package that his girl friend and daughter purchased while swimming with dolphins. Something like $130 for a person to come out, stand at the end of the dock, run video and shoot some stills. Seems a bit over priced, but folks must be purchasing it at that price.

So, do we set the price at what the market will bear, or more along the lines of what the value would be considering a high level of competition. I can see the argument from both sides. Though, my instinct is to set it at a point such that the DZ makes a descent profit, the TI is fairly paid, and the customer goes away with the feeling that they got a good product at a reasonable price. I'd rather have my customers bragging on the service they received as opposed to telling their friends "It was fun but that they gouge you on the video!" Have to balance profit with customer satisfaction.

Customers walking away with a warm fuzzy feeling pays in increased customer traffic in the end. Contrast the situation with Skyride, every darn one of their "customers" ends up with a bad taste in their mouth and a bad opinion of not only Skyride, the DZ that trades with Skyride, but most likely the whole skydiving industry.

All that said, I'm raising my prices next year, though probably to $75 for hand cam video with GoPro stills. Then maybe $45 or $50 for stills only. Isn't technology fun!?

Martin

AC DZ

All that said, I'm raising my prices next year, though probably to $75 for hand cam video with GoPro stills. Then maybe $45 or $50 for stills only. Isn't technology fun!?

If you set it up as $50 for one, or $75 for both, you can push the add-on as being 'half price'.

Another thing that used to work well for us (on outside video, but the idea is the same) is to shoot both on every jump, and go for the after-sell on anything not prepaid. There's always the chance that non-video customers will pick up one or both, or that single option customers will kick in for the other one after the jump.

One last idea, if you can figure out a way to do this without too much trouble, dump any unpurchased video or stills onto a hard drive of some sort and save them for a month. Print up a 'flyer' for any customers who didn't buy both video and stills that explains that you save the footage for a month, and that it's available for purcahse at any time during that month, with $5 added for shipping.

We did this with stills back when we were shooting 35mm. We shot them on every jump, then tried to sell them after they had seen the video. Any rolls that didn't sell were labeled with the customer name/date, and tossed in a box. Pretty close to half of those rolls were purchased after the fact, and mailed to the customer. Once we transitioned to digital stills, the video/stills package became the only option, so this is not a factor any more, but the idea worked well at the time.

If you set it up as $50 for one, or $75 for both, you can push the add-on as being 'half price'.

Another thing that used to work well for us (on outside video, but the idea is the same) is to shoot both on every jump, and go for the after-sell on anything not prepaid. There's always the chance that non-video customers will pick up one or both, or that single option customers will kick in for the other one after the jump.

One last idea, if you can figure out a way to do this without too much trouble, dump any unpurchased video or stills onto a hard drive of some sort and save them for a month. Print up a 'flyer' for any customers who didn't buy both video and stills that explains that you save the footage for a month, and that it's available for purcahse at any time during that month, with $5 added for shipping.

We did this with stills back when we were shooting 35mm. We shot them on every jump, then tried to sell them after they had seen the video. Any rolls that didn't sell were labeled with the customer name/date, and tossed in a box. Pretty close to half of those rolls were purchased after the fact, and mailed to the customer. Once we transitioned to digital stills, the video/stills package became the only option, so this is not a factor any more, but the idea worked well at the time.

Not a bad idea at all. With the GoPro stills, we dump them to a dated file with the student's name on the computer so it's easy to find. I purchased a 1 terabite external hard drive which I dump the contents from the 250 meg laptop drive when it's nearing capacity. At the rate our small DZ goes, the 1TB drive will fill up in 10 to 20 years.

The video we're still running mini DV, those are dated and go into a box. As long as we don't run short of blank tapes, and resort to taping over they're there as well.

One thought on the stills only thing was that the TI wouldn't need to carry the "large" mini DV camera, and just go with the GoPro in a glove.

I'm all about making money, but would rather really soft sale the additional stuff. They didn't go for the full package because they didn't have or didn't want to spend the money. So, maybe simply show them the stills, or rough video and let it be go unsaid but obvious that they can "up-sale." We've all dealt with the student (at least those of us who deal with the money) who show up with a raged envelope full of cash. They start off with $20s, then $10s, and eventually a bunch of $1s. I feel like I'm taking their lunch money, of course I still take it.

AC DZ

That reminds me of a scam run by a (now defunct) DZ in Alberta.

Shortly before Christmas, they would phone "next of kin" and offer to sell them video and still photos of their "dear little Johnny" skydiving.
The DZ turned such a HUGE profit - from photo sales - that they no longer cared about DZ operating costs and offered $49 (IAD) first jump courses. Even during the 1990s, it cost most other DZs $149 - or more - to run FJC.

Thank God Transport Canada ran that DZO out of business!