liftedtitan

Tandem mal video

It is real simple after opening turn the camera off, deal with the line twist.

Actually, you don't have to turn the camera off to deal with the line twist. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05LqOOZHSTo
(@ 1:56)

I must confess though that I learned a new trick, right here in this thread, which is pushing the risers together at the shoulder / three rings. Though you do not see me do it (takes both hands after all), please take my word for it. The one in my video was just as 'bad' as the one on the video that is at the beginning of this thread. It came out completely in 10 seconds.

So I guess I owe :D:D:D , especially to SickMonkey... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I'm not a TI so maybe it's something specific to that. However, why would pulling the risers together help to undo linetwist? The more they are pushed apart the more force you should be imparting on the suspended weight to undo the twist.

I agree with an earlier comment that body position (catching the relative wind on 1 side) could definitely help with undoing twist.

-Michael

why would pulling the risers together help to undo linetwist?

'Beats me' (as much as it does beat you) - however I'm an 'emperical-kinda-guy' and this was the first time I tried the technique. To my surprise it worked much better than pulling them apart.

Is there a physicist in the audience? :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I have that canopy's evil twin brother. The only made by precision. I have found that swinging the camera in the direction you need to untwist while kicking works great. I also agree he seemed to have plenty of time left to make a better effort to resolve the problem. some times I just instruct the passenger to put their legs straight down along with mine and start swinging our momentum in the right direction. So far it has been successful every time. Yes I have been stuck for a moment like in the video. Patience and effort prevailed though.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

I'm not a TI so maybe it's something specific to that. However, why would pulling the risers together help to undo linetwist? The more they are pushed apart the more force you should be imparting on the suspended weight to undo the twist.

I agree with an earlier comment that body position (catching the relative wind on 1 side) could definitely help with undoing twist.

-Michael

Pushing the risers together works. I learned this from Brian Germain, and it worked for me (Spectre loaded at 1.0), and my two friends (Katana's loaded at 1.7).

Any good gymnast will tell you (and be able to demonstrate) that to increase rate of twist, you decrease the radius of rotation. The difference between a double twist and a tripple is how tight you suck it up. B|

Good point. Maybe it has nothing to do with the risers at all - only the body position. I don't think I'd be up for some real testing with my katana or diablo... With a frame/tree/crane and such you might be able to do some real scientific testing. Other than body position the physics do not seem to support pushing the risers together.

-Michael

try getting on a kiddie swing....

also see if you can find one of those 70's kiddie toys. two pieces of line with a handle at each end and a ring on it. One person spreads their handles as far as they can and the ring shoots towards the other person.

The reason why pushing the risers together works is that it brings the twist towards the load of the parachute and allows the parachute to open more fully. Once the twists are that low you can manually remove them by twisting the risers and yourself underneath rather than kicking which is a high energy and low impact method. Works as well as doing little often.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.