pookieland

All Tandem Instructors

Tandem Instructors, I am putting together a class this winter at Zhills on the weekends. So if you want to learn how to Jump with a gimp that may come to your DZ instead of turning them away. Learn what could go wrong during a freefall and how to handle it, with a trained gimp from Zhills who’s willing to help you out. Email me at ( [email protected] ) and also become a part of Team DumbAss while your here. Blue Skys to you
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

Pookie is a paraplegic as well as a pain in the ass.
Every time that fucker lands, someone has to go pick his ass up in the golf cart!
:P

He has more tandems than any student I know too. B|
He has put a LOT of time and effort into solo skydiving.

Keep it up Pookie. You rock.
B|

Someone handicapped. This particular poster is (I believe) a paraplegic, and has done a decent number of jumps and tandems. He's offering an insider's view.

Not that he can dictate safety, but he can give folks who are interested insight into some of the challenges from the passenger's point of view.

Forewarned is forerarmed.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think I have a pretty good access to qualified tandem instructors that have experience with handicapped passengers. James Perez has over 200 jumps with Coral including 10-30 ways. Jim Wallace has over 200 jumps with para's, quads, and in between. They have both designed harnesses and special techniques for doing these kind of jumps. Jim, as an example, took a full quadriplegic that required a tracheotomy tube to breathe. They arranged to have a nurse in the airplane that unhooked his oxygen tube just before exit and hooked up a bailout bottle. After opening they landed next to another nurse who reconnected a main bottle. Since both are available every weekend at Perris I would like to think I have some of the best advice available. I also work for Jim!

I think I have a pretty good access to qualified tandem instructors that have experience with handicapped passengers. James Perez has over 200 jumps with Coral including 10-30 ways. Jim Wallace has over 200 jumps with para's, quads, and in between. They have both designed harnesses and special techniques for doing these kind of jumps. Jim, as an example, took a full quadriplegic that required a tracheotomy tube to breathe. They arranged to have a nurse in the airplane that unhooked his oxygen tube just before exit and hooked up a bailout bottle. After opening they landed next to another nurse who reconnected a main bottle. Since both are available every weekend at Perris I would like to think I have some of the best advice available. I also work for Jim!

Hmmm so I guess that means you won't be going?....... [:/]

Make sure to invite Mike G. from ChuitingStar.
He would know.

Tandem Instructors, I am putting together a class this winter at Zhills on the weekends. So if you want to learn how to Jump with a gimp that may come to your DZ instead of turning them away. Learn what could go wrong during a freefall and how to handle it, with a trained gimp from Zhills who’s willing to help you out. Email me at ( [email protected] ) and also become a part of Team DumbAss while your here. Blue Skys to you

jimjumper thats great man. I am not saying I am the Only one out here with a disability, so I don't know how to take your comment. What I am saying is that I am making myself available to instructors and lay people who would like to learn how to jump with a person like myself. So obviously this would not be for you since you have access to people who have jumped with disabled people. which is kool. I am a disabled person who can help a Newby that would like to learn first hand experience and not just go be hearsay. I know I can offer that kind of unique experience. I have been given so much from my Skydiving family that I see it's only fitting to give back what ever I can. So, I don't know if it was necessary to belittle what I would like to give to those who don't have access to people like myself. I want to thank you for commenting on something that needed no comment from you since you know it all. So, I will be sure to pass on the good word that ( jimjumper ) out of ( Perris ) has no need for no stink'en help from a SkyDiving Paraplegic
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

I apologize!! The way I wrote belittled you and your experience and I didn't mean it the way it was written! What I really meant to say was I hope that you are able to present information that isn't usually out there. I tried to create a medical questionaire when friends of mine, (my wife and I raise service dogs to work with the handicapped), wanted to jump and our service orginization lawyer took one look and said "Are you Kidding!?"As a practical matter it is fairly easy to take a handicapped person on a skydive, It's the legal and medical hoops that's the difficulty. We are not allowed to ask any medical information from a prospective student because it may violate his medical confidentiality. If we turn the student down he has the choice of obtaining a letter from their physician clearing him to jump or he can sue us under the Americans with Disabilities Act for not providing a public service. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that there is a lot more to doing handicapped students than just creating the equipment to do it. I would suggest though that you submit your course outline both online and to Parachutist for publication. I also think it would be a great symposium topic at the next PIA convention. Again I apologize for the way I wrote my response and hope you don't think too bad of me.

It's kool, I am a Par and I have been working fulltime for the past 4 years at being the first and Only Black wheelchair SkyDiver. It's been a long road but I/We are almost there. I have accomplished everything about the Skydive except one thing and we have been working out that kink every weekend for the past year. I don't want to go into what that part is, but I have come futher then some of the few of us out there have. I am down to one instructor now during my free fall and my goal is for this coming winter to get down to No instructors, so I can jump with the team I have formed.I have been breaking and making the rules about people in wheelchairs and I won't stop till I'm done. I have over 40 jumps with 7 or 8 of them being aff, but 0ver 30 of them tandems. So, I have been put into a lot of different position and I think each instructor that wants to learn should have a chance to find what works best for them so they can feel safe with a disabled person straped to them, and I am whiling to help in anyway that I can. Here's a lil bite about me, which might give you some insite on how far I came. ( http://blueskiesmag.com/2010/03/29/pookie/ )

My name is Pookie and you will hear more about me soon....
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

Jim,
I don't mean to flame you but whoever is giving you your legal advice is woefully un or underinformed.

1. Medical Confidentiallity does not mean that the patient or student cannot share with the instructor, it means the instructor cannot share it further. IE I cant violate my own right to privacy

2. The American with Disabilities Act requires REASONABLE accomodation, there is NO WAY someone with a disability could sue you for not taking them on a skydive. They could potentially sue you if your facility is not wheelchair safe I suppose.

That is why we had to install wheelchair ramps and handicapped parking spaces. Unfortunately in California we have professional handicap experts that sue businesses for a living for not complying with ADA requirements. Last year they hit all of the hay and feed stores in the area. The paid them to settle and now they all have installed concrete handicapped parking spaces and compliant restroom facilities. They have literally sued over the height of grab bars and stall size. It's a legal jungle here. The choice usually ends up pay them or the lawyer.

@ Liftedtitan.. See it’s dumb shit like what you just said that makes people pist. What do’s race have to do with anything, it has nothing to do with race at all so get your head out of your ass because there was no reason for you to even comment on this subject. It’s only people like yourself that takes something said out of context and throws it back at whomever said it just like the fucking media to get a rise. I don’t normally talk like this, but out of all the great skydiving people I have met and learned from there is always One Ass Hole, and you ( Liftedtitan ) are that One AssHole that wants to ruin something special for someone who was doubted from the very start. I’m not going to change the way I said anything just to appease your understanding that what I wrote has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with an accomplishment of someone out of the norm of what a skydivers are supposed to be like.
Now my comment about the first black wheelchair skydiver means just that, and that is and was my goal. Because there will be people to follow me and there are people now that are doing the same thing as I, but it is safe to say that there are no black people doing it in the US. I had No role model to follow in their footsteps after and I had No wheelchair role models to follow after. But I do choose to be a role model not only for the great sport of sky diving ,but for Ass Holes like yourself who might think that black people don’t even think about sky diving, especially black people in a wheelchair. So, think about the shit you say to people in this world, because everyone isn’t as nice or as cute as I am. You uneducated Ass Hole….
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466