PhreeZone

Take away item(s) for tandem student

After recent discussions with a few people I wanted to see what your dropzone does for tandem students as a take away item if any. I have seen some DZ's do student logbooks for every tandem that walked in the door, others do a printed certificate with the students name. I saw one a long time ago that gave a tshirt to every tandem student and another that handed a bumper sticker to all the students as they were walking out the door.

What items if any do you think students actually want and if they have any value at all to students later?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

One dz used to give everyone a certificate and a bumper sticker.

Another one does a certificate, bumper sticker, and handout detailing the AFF program and costs.

Both will give a student log book both only if they ask for it or if the tandem is in prep for the AFF course.

You mean stuff that you give them as opposed to charging them for? If so, well, the stuff made out of paper is pretty cheap, so there isn't much reason to not give them a certificate and logbook. (The logbook can be paper, and customized so as not to require much writing on the part of the instructor.)

However, I think what they might appreciate more is a T-shirt if you can afford to give them one. If you can get them to actually put a bumper sticker where people can see it, I think that would pay for itself in marketing value.

From Raeford Parachute Center, Tandem Students get:

-A certificate signed by the School Owner and their Tandem Instructor
-A DZ bumper sticker
-Info on how to learn to skydive (brochure, price list, business card)

Value: I know they like the certificates, and many ask for additional bumper stickers. The ones that come back to go through AFF make all of the others worth the effort.
Arrive Safely

John

My DZ gives a Certificate and a bumper sticker to each tandem pax. They also get an offer for a reduced rate for the AFF FJC if they choose to continue.

This all seems to be well liked.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I started skydiving because I saw a teeshirt and I thought - I wanted to do this for a while, why not... I called the number on the back of the shirt and scheduled my AFF.

That $7 teeshirt has made the DZO tens of thousands, and tens of tens of thousands if you count the AFF students I have taught since.

I think a $7 teeshirt can be great advertising. Sell it for $1 so you don't waste, as people who want it will pay for it. If someone shows interest, perhaps just give for free then. That is my thought.

I voted certificate only as that is all that they all get. We also have free bumper stickers located right next to the AFF brochures on the counter as they enter and exit the building. Log books are provided on request or for any AFF prep work done on the tandem. We also give free tee shirts to any one who comes out only to get weathered out or pretty much any other reason that they will have to drive out again in order to make their jump.

I started skydiving because I saw a teeshirt and I thought - I wanted to do this for a while, why not... I called the number on the back of the shirt and scheduled my AFF.

That $7 teeshirt has made the DZO tens of thousands, and tens of tens of thousands if you count the AFF students I have taught since.

I think a $7 teeshirt can be great advertising. Sell it for $1 so you don't waste, as people who want it will pay for it. If someone shows interest, perhaps just give for free then. That is my thought.

If his cost is $7 then he paid too much. :P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

CSC gives a plastic credit-card sized certificate, pocket-sized makes it a great tool for bragging to friends. They also get a coupon for a cheap beer at the first bar down the road on the way home.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

We give a certificate and a handfull of business cards. The certificates cost me bout $.25, and $.15 in business cards (I print cards 5000 at a time). I figure that they're all leaving excited to share their experience and can hand anyone who shows interest a card. My cards now have a short discription of training methods on the back.

Seems to me that most people don't seem to want to put bumper stickers on their cars any more.

Another Ks DZ trains tandem progression. They give every student a card stock log book. I think that it's printed both sides with four jumps per side.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

When I did my tandems, I got a certificate and a booklet of cool skydive photos from the DZ. I bought myself a logbook after my third jump and bugged each of my instructors from my past jumps to write in it.

When I took my friends to jump, I always bought them a logbook so they and their instructor could write in it. Don't know if it's coincidence, but every one of them has done a second jump, and one finished AFF and got his A.

There's just something about having a logbook that makes it feel more official, and something about those blank pages that make you want to fill them with jumps.

I wish dropzones would give logbooks to their students. A logbook is something every skydiver treasures, even if they only jump once or twice and set it up on a shelf. You can bet they'll show it to their kids someday.

One school - that I worked at a long time ago - used to offer students a $5 discount if they booked over the phone. After their jump, they were asked if they wanted the $5 or a T-shirt.
90 percent took the T-shirt.
It was great advertising for the DZ.

It helped that the DZO's son - and an instructor/pilot/handyman - also owned a T-shirt printing company.