riggerrob

Atire for tandem students?

Usually the students have the harnesses on over their clothes. This past weekend I had two students who showed up in shorts and there was no wind. I figured we would be sliding in on our butts and I didn't want their legs to get cut up. So I put them in jumpsuits.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

We put the students in jumpsuits on just about every jump. Its just easier to not to worry around getting grass stains on their clothing. It also makes me a bit more comfortable that I am not going to have their shirts blowing around in freefall. With about 15-20 total suits in 4 sizes we can fit just about every student that can jump and be able to run the plane non-stop all day. Having suits with out grippers makes it easier to have them walk.

I've taken people in street clothes and would do it again but to me it looks far more professional on video if they are in a jumpsuit.

Nothing looks worse then someone unintentionally showing skin on their video because their shirt came out in freefall. Another situation I try to avoid is having my students walk away from the DZ with heavy grass stains that might stain their clothing, that just leaves a bad memory for them. The worst is the road rash on girls that wear short shorts and have their thighs touch the ground first. [:/]

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

We use Bev suits on everyone unless they request no suit. We warn them of the downsides.

The suits are colored based on size.

We like to have the outside leg grippers on the suits. We instruct them to grab the gripper and use it to help hold their legs up on landing. Works great.

Many, if not most can not hold the legs up for any length of time without assistance. Using the grippers, they can hold them up for a cuple of minutes.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

We put the students in jumpsuits on just about every jump. Its just easier to not to worry around getting grass stains on their clothing.

Sure, but 30 minutes in a 182 in the summer and in central Texas and you have students getting sick. Even the instructors dress down in the summer.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

We put the students in jumpsuits on just about every jump. Its just easier to not to worry around getting grass stains on their clothing.

Sure, but 30 minutes in a 182 in the summer and in central Texas and you have students getting sick. Even the instructors dress down in the summer.;)

When I was at their boogie last year, I noticed that Skydive Pepperell put all the students in short-sleeve coveralls (not sure if they were Dickies brand, but something like this: http://www.workinggear.com/gc/catalog/Dickies-Dark-Navy-Short-Sleeve-Coveralls-3399DN-cat941.html).

I realize on average MA is not as hot as TX, but they do get some heat/humidity in the summer. I thought it was a good solution - lighter weight and cheaper than most jumpsuits, but provided protection for the students.

At my DZ, all students, tandem and otherwise, are in jumpsuits year round.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

One DZ: Coveralls optional, depending on temperature, clothing, and students' preference.

Another DZ: Coveralls mandatory. (This is Ontario; it might be less workable in places with much longer periods of high temperatures.)

I notice you said coveralls and not jumpsuits. Please tell me they are not in blue mechanics coveralls that say "ART" or "BOB" just below the lapel.

I notice you said coveralls and not jumpsuits. Please tell me they are not in blue mechanics coveralls that say "ART" or "BOB" just below the lapel.

Yes, coveralls. Most are new, but some are indeed bought used. And of the orange ones, there's a popular one with D.O.C. (Department of Corrections) on the back. :)

One DZ: Coveralls optional, depending on temperature, clothing, and students' preference.

Another DZ: Coveralls mandatory. (This is Ontario; it might be less workable in places with much longer periods of high temperatures.)

No, that's a silly stereotype. Some say "Ed".

Easy now... I like my coveralls jump suit 45 bucks for it and the pair I have has over 500 jumps on them B|B| the only downside is all the razzing I get , however they are fire retardant so if the plane goes up in smoke I wont be laminated :P

While some ops do endeavor to "teach" skydiving through tandem (except it doesn't work) most just pretend they do. They might as well bag on that big myth and dress "parachute riders" like this . . .

NickD :)

I'll argue it does work, and I've got more than a few examples to prove it.:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I will side with you, but in a 40% success range, still too many wanting to just check things off the list.

But I also think we would see more teaching, and success with it, if we Instructors had the Teaching Attitude at all times with Tandems.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!