tdog

Comments from a Tandem Customer... Not good.

Yep, I totally agree. I am curious to know if there are any DZ's out there that promote tipping in some way. I am not for it or against it, just curious to know what other DZ's do.

I have heard tell of a DZ where the manifest or will walk up to a TM as they are suiting up a TP; hand the TM a $20 and say "Oh, here's the tip your last passenger left for you" as a way of"assisting" the current TP with the idea of tipping. Even when the last passenger hasn't really left a tip.

I knew strippers that did that back in the day, trying to increase their tips...doing it at a drop-zone is ever MORE low-class! :S

I may be off base here, but I kinda believe that 'asking/scamming' for compensation above an already agreed upon price for a service is pretty trailer parky.
(yeah I know, whatdaya expect:ph34r:)

If it comes...bonus!

I've not tipped at a high end restaurant where the food was bad and the service worse.

The ma-trade asked the reason with some indignation in an attempt to shame a gratuity out of me, which was loudly unsuccessful...
AND hopefully, my tirade prompted other diners with a similar complaint to do likewise.

We chartered a 5 day sailboat cruise once in the V.I. with a similar outcome...B|

I was extremely dis-satisfied with the entire thing and when the 'Captain' who didn't know how to sail in the first place tried to make an example out of me, in front of a group waiting to disembark on a charter with the same company.

I AGAIN went into great detail regarding my complains, and offered they were lucky I wasn't asking for a REFUND, considering what was promised and subsequently delivered.

On the other hand, I once tipped a SCUBA boat crew in Hawaii over a hundred bucks for a 4 hour dive trip, because they OBVIOUSLY went well out of their way to show us a wonderful time...THEY earned it.

If and when a tip comes along, that's fantastic!B|

...but to me and others, wavin' a tip flag is like running a bait & switch scam.

I don't like it being done to me...and will not do it to others.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My DZ forbids any sort of polite signs about tips and nobody ever mentions tips to the students.

excellent policy

I love signs "Tips are not expected, but appreciated"

well, that's a lie since they posted the sign in the first place

Spotted on the back wall in the training area of my local DZ... "If you liked your ride...TIP you guide!"

***edited to add pic***
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

I knew strippers that did that back in the day, trying to increase their tips...doing it at a drop-zone is ever MORE low-class!

I never give a stripper a tip. . . I give her the whole thing!:P
"All Generalizations Are False."

I pretty much agree with all your thoughts. I am lucky to be in a position where I do not need to do tandems. I have the luxury of doing them for fun and extra cash. But what about the full time guys? They work their asses off and get underpaid. I don't think it would be a big deal if the general public knew that it is ok to tip those guys if they do a good job. People tip a guy who picks up their bag at the airport but they don't tip a guy who lands them safely?

It's not unreasonable for whuffos to presume DZ and the TI are part of a single entity. They'd have no idea how much the DZ pays the TIs, nor is it their social responsibility to find out. But more to the point: tandems aren't cheap, and $200 is a real chunk of change for a lot of people. For someone on a tight budget who's just experienced the sticker shock of paying for a tandem jump, it probably just doesn't occur to them to shell out some more money.

I agree. While I sympathise that being a TI may not be a well paying job the actual cost of a tandem is alot of money.

Customer service is not something that is natural to many of us and I imagine a DZ could do well to train its staff, and work hard on "image" - this is addressed to the OP by the way.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

It's not hard to spend a few minutes back on the ground and explain what actually went wrong, how it was handled, and how we learn from the experience to make our sport safer.

Especially since at this particular dropzone they land off airport and have a 15 minute ride back to the hanger.

Question~

You you tip your rigger?
>> YES
The pilot?
>> NO But I buy them beer

How about manifest?
>> No they own the place

or the tandem catchers?
>> You gotta be kidding

they all provide a service to you the TI, even MORE than a service, without them you couldn't 'work'.

>> I'm an up-jumper, work is a 4 letter word!

Question~

You you tip your rigger?
>> YES
The pilot?
>> NO But I buy them beer

How about manifest?
>> No they own the place

or the tandem catchers?
>> You gotta be kidding

they all provide a service to you the TI, even MORE than a service, without them you couldn't 'work'.

>> I'm an up-jumper, work is a 4 letter word!

Post was directed at TI's :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hilarious, the thread start with a bad Info and you guys end with anecdotes about tip's.

Im laughing my ass of...:D:D great work :D

I, who started the thread, told all my non-virtual friends (i.e. people I know in the real world) - isn't it funny that TMs can change any subject to tipping, money, and being self-centered?

In reality - if the customer was happy, instead of unhappy as I first posted, maybe they WOULD HAVE TIPPED... hehehe:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: