NVizABull

video on tandems

I basically posted this to get a concensus and remind a 200 jump wonder that he, the TI & DZO are blatently violating... I admit, I got sick of looking through the SIM online and figured it coming from a concensus of TI's maybe that would hold more validity than some "rigger"...afterall, I'm just a girl, wtf do I know...LOL. The answers you all stated were exactly what I stated and was told to "f*ck off"

Have a good one.

I hate it skydivers try to pick an chose which regulations they will follow.

If you ever injure a student - and get sued - the lawyer for the prosecution will try to prove your incompetence. That will be easy if he can prove that you knowingly ignored a manufacturer's recommendation and you will stand alone in court.

The preferred answer - to lawyers for the prosecution - is "I did that because of page 9 in USPA's SIM ... I did that because of a UPT TI newsletter ... I did that because of clause 7 in FAR .... I did that because of page 2 in the Australian Parachute Federation's TI manual ... I did that because of something I saw on Strong's Side Spin video ... I did that because of a suggestion in the Racer TI manual."

The bottom line is that rules, regulations and manufacturer's recommendations are considered "best business practices."

Right, its not how you do it because its not strongly enforced. It's how screwed you will be if you have an accident and it can be proven that clearly laid out rules were not followed.

But every DZ I've been to choses some rules to follow and others to not follow. It's the plain nature of the sport. Even the strictest DZO I've met is known for breaking the rules when it suits him to get his tandems in the air. We, as TI's, make the FINAL call though. If you break the rules, you are prepared to pay the price.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Agreed!
I had this conversation with a DZO recently.

I replied: "Yes, that TI is competent, however their paperwork has not returned from the factory, so now it is the DZO's call as to whether he is willing to accept the liability to allow that TI do jump with tandem students without a rating."

We're supposed to be a self-policing sport....however, if you say anything about an absolute safety violation, you're ostracized, banned and you're a bad apple. The worse it gets, the more I feel inclined to go back to scuba and hang up the skydiving....it's been a good 14 yr run...I'm just waiting for the fatality that totally rocks the sport, ends up in court and a judge throws out the waiver issue, to prove a point...blatant violations, injuries or death all equal a big pay day and pay your own legal fees! The big guy/gal with the gavel has that power...it's how precedence is set.

Some times exam questions have little to do with long term performance, rather they cover the authority's butt by proving that - at sometime in the distant past - the candidate wrote the correct answer on an exam.
Ergo, the authority is off the hook for any accidents.

I hate it skydivers try to pick an chose which regulations they will follow.

I'm not picking and choosing which ones to follow. I am only saying that their is a difference between recommendation and regulation.

xoxo

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."