Kimblair13

USPA TI

From USPA: The Basic Safety Requirements for the 2009 SIM, due out in September 2008, will include a change to Section 2-1 Basic Safety Requirements to reflect the new requirements. This effectively gives USPA members who are only manufacturer rated approximately one year to make the necessary arrangements with a USPA Tandem Course Director and earn the USPA Tandem Instructor rating. This document includes instructions on how to proceed based on your current rating situation. Download the tandem proficiency card on the right.

A list of I/Es with contact info from the USPA website:Tandem I/Es
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Proof of manufacturers rating, Tandem Proficiency card #10, current FAA 3rd class or higher medical certificate or the equivalent verified and signed by a USPA Tandem Course Director. Fax or mail the proficiency card to USPA with the $50 rating fee.

I sent you a PM with the file this came from attached.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Last post summed it up pretty well. No training required just more money to keep doing what your instructor is already doing. I was thinking about starting a parachute association as well in order to charge people for ratings they already have.

Last post summed it up pretty well.

No training required just more money to keep doing what your instructor is already doing

. I was thinking about starting a parachute association as well in order to charge people for ratings they already have.

Next step (after another secret meeting) is to require all AFF/I, ASL/I and Coaches to get the equivalent license from the rig manufacturer that they are using when jumping with their students. If you are an USPA AFF/I and you jump Javelin, you will have to be Sun Path AFF/I licensed. If your second rig is a Vector, you gotta be UPT AFF/I licensed as well. Here is the rule:
One license for each rig. One fee for each license. One fee and license for each rating you have...
>:(

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

If USPA took their job seriously, they would require all instructors to do refresher training every spring.

Ideally that refresher training would be signed by a Tandem Examiner, Course Conductor, at a minimum regional safety officer, etc.
Requiring senior sign-offs - every year - would jolt instructors out of the "big fish in a small pond" syndrome.

what about those of us who dont stop doing tandems for 3-5 months? You think we should still take a refresher?

Yes. Pilots are required to take a biannual flight review (every two years).

It reviews the regs, emergency procedures and important skills that pilots might not practice on a regular basis if they are just flying around. Stalls and recovery, slow flight, short and soft field takeoffs and landings among other stuff.

I think it would be a good thing for TIs too. Maybe not each year, but every other year, just like airplane pilots is something to consider.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I firmly believe that all skydiving instructors should do some refresher training every year ... either that or earn a new rating every year.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
Racer TI
Vector TI
IAD Instructor
S/L I
PFF I
Rigger Examiner
Private Pilot
AVOP
etc.

I firmly believe that all skydiving instructors should do some refresher training every year ... either that or earn a new rating every year.

Agreed. We're all creatures of habit, plus we (almost) all like to keep life as easy for us as we can, and changing how we do things to is not as easy as just doing it the same way we did it last time.
I could talk about how it took over 3 years to get alot of local instructors to use the ISP format when it first came out, or a 35+ year veteran instructor who still teaches turns with the "stick your hand out and push" method, but.........

This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Yes,
And the other issue is getting all the instructors (on one DZ) to teach the same methods.
There are few things more frustrating - to students - than having different instructors teaching them different ways to do the same maneuver.

For example, we had a long-running feud about whether we were going to teach the BC version of PFF or the Quebec version of PFF. ... and we looked childish, arguing in front of students as we walked towards the airplane.

Rob Warner
Pitt Meadows, BC

I firmly agree, and having recently passed my first "check dive" since getting my ratings quite a few years ago, I still feel that an instructor should be required to undergo refresher training and check dives every 2 years.

As this sport continues to become more and more commercial as an industry we need to ensure the quality of instruction and instructors in order to prevent losing it all through outside regulation.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Next step (after another secret meeting) is to require all AFF/I, ASL/I and Coaches to get the equivalent license from the rig manufacturer that they are using when jumping with their students. If you are an USPA AFF/I and you jump Javelin, you will have to be Sun Path AFF/I licensed. If your second rig is a Vector, you gotta be UPT AFF/I licensed as well.

Except there is actually a pretty significant difference between a Vector Tandem and a Strong Tandem... the same cannot be said of most sport rigs.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have ALWAYS said that "vanity" ratings are a HORRIBLE idea in the skydiving world. It's pure nonsense.

Chuck

The military calls them "ticket punchers."
Hah!
Hah!