BASE841

Antidepressants and TIs

nobody is going to jump through those hoops, when asked "are you taking any medications" the answer is going to be "no" Lets just be real about it.

They can and do find out. I just got a letter from the FAA saying they need more info on the kidney stone I had at Nationals last year.

*I* didn't remember a kidney stone being a problem for a medical. So, I didn't disclose it to the FAA.... But I sure got a letter from them.

So they can and do find out things you don't disclose.

Question 18 Have you ever in your life been diagnosed with, had. or do you presently have any of the following.... Section J yes/no kidney stone or blood in urine.... Kind of hard to forget while filling in the form. Also question 19 visits to health proffesionals in the last 3 years, Yes-explain/no.

How is this going with the FAA? Many would suggest a lawyer to deal with the FAA in this type of situation. Remember anything you say can and will be used against you.

I wish you well in getting this "fixed".

James

IS that consent not given in your Application?

Matt

At a quick glance I did not see it, only the Driver lic record search consent. I would like to know how the FAA found out about Ron's Kidney stone issue though.

James

James,

Thanks I knew I gave consent to the DL part but could not remember if there was a second part to that sentence asking about medical stuff.

SO how long after the 6 to 8 weeks is the Temporary good for? has any one had to use the Temp for a whole season waiting for the Actual Class (what ever # here) to arrive?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

You may have seen the news reports about pilots now allowed to use antidepressants such as Zoloft or Prozac. I called the FAA medical folks in Oklahoma (our local FSDO didn't have the info yet) and asked how that affects tandem instructors.

I was told that the new rule applies to anyone who needs a medical certificate from the FAA. So, yes, this applies to tandem instructors.

But there are restrictions. Only four medications are allowed... Prozac, Zoloft, Celexia and Lexapro. Also, you can only be on one of these at a time.

If you started taking one of these now, you would be grounded for a year to see if you have any ill effects on the medication. After that year off, you would need to apply for a special issuance. The federal air surgeon's office in DC would then review your case. Plus, you would still need a review (including psych exam) every six months.

So, good for the feds to finally recognize modern psych meds. But you'll still need to jump through some serious hoops.

David

Just for clarification, the FAA does not require anyone to have a FAA Medical Certificate to act as a Tandem Master/Tandem Instructor. It is a USPA requirement, not an FAA requirement.

You could take any prescription medication or any other over the counter medication that you wish without breaking any FAA rule. You would be in violation of only USPA rules if you took a medication that invalidates your FAA Medical.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director
Safety & Training Committee, Member

That's needs to be clarified. If you lie on your application for the FAA medical that is in fact a violation of the FAA. You are required to tell the truth. They don't care why you have the medical.
If you have a valid medical and then consume medication that violates the FAA standards then, as long as you are not attempting to operate an aircraft or such that a medical is required by the FAA, they don't care and would only be a violation of the USPA.

That's needs to be clarified. If you lie on your application for the FAA medical that is in fact a violation of the FAA. You are required to tell the truth. They don't care why you have the medical.
If you have a valid medical and then consume medication that violates the FAA standards then, as long as you are not attempting to operate an aircraft or such that a medical is required by the FAA, they don't care and would only be a violation of the USPA.

I agree completely that if you lie on an FAA Medical then you would be in violation of FAA Regs and subject to criminal prosecution. Further, if you did take prohibited medications while having an FAA Medical your FAA Medical would no longer be valid, you would be prohibited from any operation where a FAA Medical would be required, and you would need to report the medication on your next FAA Medical application (if you choose to apply for another).

You would not be in violation of any FAA Reg if you acted as Tandem Master/Tandem Instructor regardless of the status of your FAA Medical as an FAA Medical is not required by the FAA to act as a Tandem Master/Tandem Instructor. You would be in violation the the USPA BSR's if you acted as a TI without a valid FAA Medical.

Mike

How does that match with the manufacturers requirements to have the medical prior to getting the rating for that type of rig in some cases? UPT requires a Class 3 or higher to have the rating for example.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

How does that match with the manufacturers requirements to have the medical prior to getting the rating for that type of rig in some cases? UPT requires a Class 3 or higher to have the rating for example.

Matches fine. UPT or any other manufacturer can set whatever requirement they wish for you to get their rating. They could tell you to dye your hair red and wear a tutu and that is what you would have to do for them to issue you the rating. FAA does not require you to have any FAA Medical to act as Tandem Master/Tandem Instructor.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I wanted to make sure since I thought the requirements from the FAA were that any manufacturers instructions must be complied with so that is kinda how at least with tandem gear makers they can make you have an FAA medical if you continue to use their gear since you need to have the rating for the FAA to make the jump legal, correct?

I know someone that has lost their FAA medical and wants to do tandems so is looking for a loophole to let them but I am not aware of any that would let them on a not USPA DZ since UPT, Jumpshack and Strong all require one for a rating to be valid. Since FAR 105.45 requires that the Instructor is trained in the use of the equipment having a current rating is the only way that requirement is met is my limited understanding.

Is any of that information not correct?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Agreed!
Strong Enterprises requires a Class 3 medical before issuing a new tandem rating.
In Canada, we cut TI candidates a little slack by not requiring them to have a TRANSPORT CANADA medical, as long as a medical doctor is willing to write a note saying they are fit to do tandems.

Transport Canada charges $75 over and above whatever the doctor charges and it usually takes the government a few weeks to process medical applications.

For example, one tandem candidate suffered a minor heart attack last year. He recovered quickly and is now doing video. I told him that I would be happy with a note from his cardiologist saying that he is fit to fall.
I do not worry about the rest of his physique, because he is a tough (retired) infantryman and I have known him for several years.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

Thanks Mike, I wanted to make sure since I thought the requirements from the FAA were that any manufacturer instructions must be complied with so that is kinda how at least with tandem gear makers they can make you have an FAA medical if you continue to use their gear since you need to have the rating for the FAA to make the jump legal, correct?

I know someone that has lost their FAA medical and wants to do tandems so is looking for a loophole to let them but I am not aware of any that would let them on a not USPA DZ since UPT, Jumpshack and Strong all require one for a rating to be valid. Since FAR 105.45 requires that the Instructor is trained in the use of the equipment having a current rating is the only way that requirement is met is my limited understanding.

Is any of that information not correct?

Actually, once you have a Tandem Rating from a manufacturer the FAA does not require you to have an FAA Medical. The FAA does not require you to have an FAA Medical to receive the rating, the manufacturer does. Once you receive the rating the FAA does not require you to have the FAA Medical.

The USPA requires any member who acts as Tandem Instructor to have the FAA Medical (or other medical acceptable to USPA).

If you are not a USPA Member and are not jumping at a USPA Group Member DZ(which you would not be able to do anyway as a non USPA Member) you can act as a Tandem Master and be perfectly FAA legal.

Depression does not equal suicidal. Although one can lead to the other, it does not mean that every single person on anti-depressants is suicidal.

I am aware of that, but anti depressants will also alter your decision-taking, and your thinking speed...

I have to disagree. Having been on a number of antidepressants for the last 12 years, I know that current generation drugs have no such effects.

I wonder if you have an incorrect impression of what an antidepressant does. They are not "happy pills" that make you feel wonderful 20 minutes after taking one. They're quite subtle and often take up to two weeks to even begin to have a noticeable effect. The only effects I've ever noticed is that I sometimes feel more detached emotionally and am able to view problems or an especially bad day more rationally. When I started taking them, it was nice one bad day to realize that I was not sinking into "the deep dark hole".

If there is any unpleasant reaction, it generally happens when one is withdrawing from an antidepressant. The times I have gone off them I've experienced head rushes and dizziness after a few days without them. They can't be quit cold, it has to be done gradually.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !