BASE841

Antidepressants and TIs

You may have seen the news reports about pilots now allowed to use antidepressants such as Zoloft or Prozac. I called the FAA medical folks in Oklahoma (our local FSDO didn't have the info yet) and asked how that affects tandem instructors.

I was told that the new rule applies to anyone who needs a medical certificate from the FAA. So, yes, this applies to tandem instructors.

But there are restrictions. Only four medications are allowed... Prozac, Zoloft, Celexia and Lexapro. Also, you can only be on one of these at a time.

If you started taking one of these now, you would be grounded for a year to see if you have any ill effects on the medication. After that year off, you would need to apply for a special issuance. The federal air surgeon's office in DC would then review your case. Plus, you would still need a review (including psych exam) every six months.

So, good for the feds to finally recognize modern psych meds. But you'll still need to jump through some serious hoops.

David

seriously, If I need to be under antidepressants, I wouldn't want to jump solo, and even less with the responsability of a passenger.

Depression does not equal suicidal. Although one can lead to the other, it does not mean that every single person on anti-depressants is suicidal.

What is left is that persons in a position in which medication of the sort will cost them their job, their livelihood or their hobby, will simply start "self medicating." The self administration of alcohol, illegal narcotics or some other addictive behavior. That is typically many times more harmful and much more dangerous then the medication designed to fit that function.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

nobody is going to jump through those hoops, when asked "are you taking any medications" the answer is going to be "no" Lets just be real about it.

If you answer no on the application for a medical, there is a good chance you will be caught. The FAA does check medical records. Good luck getting a medical after you are caught lying on the application.

Depression does not equal suicidal. Although one can lead to the other, it does not mean that every single person on anti-depressants is suicidal.

I am aware of that, but anti depressants will also alter your decision-taking, and your thinking speed...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I am aware of that, but anti depressants will also alter your decision-taking, and your thinking speed...

Not necessarily. It depends on what particular one.
And a lot more on the individual.

Some people get drowsy on Prozac, others experience insomnia.

YMMV.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Probably for the good, though, compared to somebody that is more than mildly depressed.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Or they might even avoid the meds in case anyone found out, putting themselves and those around them in a precarious situation. Similar to life insurance forms - "you contacted a physician about depression and getting help through meds/counseling, this means that you are obviously denied. Had you not sought treatment and exposed your problems, you'd be good to go." :S

Not necessarily. It depends on what particular one.
And a lot more on the individual.

Agreed. And with a lot of such drugs, it is the initial period of adjusting to the drug, or when someone goes back off the drug, where unanticipated effects are most likely. The FAA is being extremely conservative, looking for a full year of initial grounding. Maybe it is just overprescription in today's society, but a lot of "pretty normal" people are on antidepressants these days.

I know a pilot who was caught falsifying his medical application, denying he used meds, when he actually did. The FAA found out, revoked his medical and ALL of his ratings.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Probably for the good, though, compared to somebody that is more than mildly depressed.

well maybe it's just me then...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

nobody is going to jump through those hoops, when asked "are you taking any medications" the answer is going to be "no" Lets just be real about it.

If you answer no on the application for a medical, there is a good chance you will be caught. The FAA does check medical records. Good luck getting a medical after you are caught lying on the application.

I wouldn't need to lie about it, I don't take any medications.

Let me know how the FAA would go about getting protected private medical information about a patient without being in violation of a little federal law called HIPPA

I'm just saying, there are a large number of people of anti-depressants probably many of them who work in the industry. How many do you really think are going to say, I'll give up my job for a year so I can tell the FAA I'm taking an SSRI?" I would rather have a TI or a pilot who needs an anti-depressant than one who needs to be on one and isn't so they can keep their rating....

Chuck Bryan

I know a pilot who was caught falsifying his medical application

How?

Because the FAA checks records. Medical records and Police records(DUI).

I don't know the answer to this: Does the FAA require people to sign HIPAA waivers (which authorizes someone to access another person's medical records)? Similarly, is it common for commercial air carriers to get their employees to sign HIPAA waivers? I'd think that would probably be required in order for the FAA and/or an employer to access a pilot's or other aviation industry employee's medical records.

(Hey, JohnM - are ATCs commonly required to sign HIPAA waivers?)
(Rookie and Lucky: don't you each work in commercial aircraft maintenance? Are you required to sign HIPAA waivers?)