matt3sa

Icarus tandem canopy question

Sorry if I'm highjacking this thread, but now this is starting to sound like the Precision is nothing like the Icarus (aside from the light toggle pressure and no brake settings)

I'm officially still looking for an Icarus 365...pm me if anyone has a lead:)

Love tandem Icarus canopies! We use 330s and 365s..
Can anyone tell me how the "Precision" tandem compares?? Do they have similar, nice openings?

As we all know a conopy can have its own 'personality', The only precisions I have jumped were old, it was at lodi.

They had precisions, eclipses (made by precision) and icarus bith from New Zealand and from Spain (as well as asome old EZ'sB|).

all of the canopies there had flare toggles.

the precisions had a 4 + 4 configiration on the brake lines, the icarus has a 2 + 6 and the ez's had a 6 + 2 (which is kind of dumb if you ask me).

They all flew and opened kind of different, depending on age and line type etc. one even had HMA lines which was actually really nice for some reason.

The canopies i have flown the most only have single brake settings 6 attachments only, missing the 4th and last attachment and they seem to perforn much better and more predictably, but that is the configuration I am the most used to.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Of the four tandem canopies I own, there's one 330, and one 365 Precision/Icarus (before they split so 10 year old canopies), one Icarus 330 (built in Spain I think), and a 365 Precision. As has been said, they all have their own "personality", and the performance seems to vary most due to the life of the line set (Vectran). The 365 Precision doesn't have as nice a flair when loaded light (400 to 440 lb range).

I talked with a guy with Icarus maybe 5 years ago and asked what the difference between Precision and Icarus were. He was obviously trying to sell me an Icarus, and said that the Precision was the old Icarus canopy, and that they had made more changes than he could list since then (circa 2000).

If I were in the market for another tandem canopy it would be either an Icarus,or Precision, but I'm not really sold on one over the other.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Having jumped Icarus 330/365's, Vector 421, Sigma 370, EZ's and owned Aerodyne A2 350 I would prefer the Icarus #1 and A2 #2. Quality of the openings and toggle pressures being the top reasons.

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

We use a mix of Sigma 340's, Precision 365's and one brand new NZ Aerosports "364'". I have to agree with Josh that the 340's are the best, but we love the 365's as well. Only one cutaway (line twists on the 365) in almost 1200 tandems this summer, compared to 4 in 1000 tandems last summer using SET 400's (all tension knots). We pack them with no rubber band just let everything hang. I had one Sigma 370 which I sold and replaced with the Icarus 364 because all my instructors fought over the 365's and the Sig 370 would only get jumped if it was the only thing left packed...

Please expalian,,i'm curious,,you have two sets of toggles ?

2 toggles on each risor. The steering toggle has 2 lines running to the outside 1 and a half cells and the flare toggle has 6 lines that run to the centre of the canopy. Down to 1000 feet I use just the steering toggles so the toggle pressure is kept to a minimum. I pick up the flare toogles at 1000 ft till landing. You'll notice the difference after a full days jumping!
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.