matt3sa

Icarus tandem canopy question

My dzo just bought two icarus tandems. Either 360 or 365 don't remember the size. We have always jumped sigmas, but they were ready to retire so the used Icarus canopies will replace the old sigmas.

Never jumped one of these before. My question is related to the brake settings. I've searched dz.com, but the information is limited.

Everyone that I've heard of jumping these stows the brakes with bands or something. This is fine, but from what I've read icarus decided that the canopies open best when in a little to no brake setting. Just a little confused as to why everyone is stowing the the brakes when Icarus test jumpers got the best results without any brake setting. Thoughts? Anyone jump these regularly with no brake stow? What do the rest of you TI's think? Thanks.

Icarus Tandem Canopies do not have a brake setting on them.

I have known DZ's to sometimes have an elastic band on or around the 2nd or 3rd brake attachment point on the tail of the canopy and then bring up the extra line from the rest of the cascades. This brings the tail up somewhat out of the way for packing and while it would resemble the tail being lifted as if the brakes were set it is only for control of the excess.

Most DZ's that I am familiar with just pack them without this band and no problems :)

hope this helps
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Have them set up for a single toggle setting. Less hassle, just as easy to fly around...

Have jumped them with both the excess stowed around a rubber band around the 'd' lines, as well as with no brake settings. Seems to me you get slower openings with nothing done with the brake settings....imo
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Everyone that I've heard of jumping these stows the brakes with bands or something. This is fine, but from what I've read icarus decided that the canopies open best when in a little to no brake setting.

The band is just a rubber band around the inboard C or D line attachment point. Right before you wrap the tail, you take a bight of the steering lines and wrap it with the rubber band. The purpose is to control the tail and steering lines during packing, not to effect the opening. The lines pop out of the band right after the canopy comes out of the bag, and the brakes are fully 'unstowed' during the actual opening.

Those canopies open great without a brake setting, and after that they fly like a big Stiletto. Very nice turns, and a great flare.

Sounds like some packers are copying an idea from Strong's SET 400.
The SET manual says to attach a pair of rubber bands to the third steering line (from the end), one band per side.
When packing a SET 400 you are supposed to wrap a rubber band around the extra-long flare lines. This does not affect openings, just reduces the chance that a flailing flare line will grab fabric and burn it.

I have jumped icarus 330's and 365's for 8 or so seasons. Never have set the brakes, they open in full flight great. Also, the main toggles have two lines and the flare has 6 lines. It seems to make it easier to fly around if you are doing many tandems a day. Just dont forget to pick up the flare toggles.

Bought a 330 2 years ago...turned to f111 in 500 jumps. No flare left unless you whip it. Have a 8 year old 365 with 2000 jumps still going strong. Not sure what happened to their choice of material but something changed. They are expensive too. I would now stick with Sigma 340's.

Bought a 330 2 years ago...turned to f111 in 500 jumps. No flare left unless you whip it. Have a 8 year old 365 with 2000 jumps still going strong. Not sure what happened to their choice of material but something changed. They are expensive too. I would now stick with Sigma 340's.

what colour? yellow by any chance?
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I am happy to still be jumping them. I figure that the material is not the domain of the canopy manufacturer but that of the material manufacturer. I wonder if they tell their customers of any changes to the process before they sell them the rolls of material?

I have never known anything but great service from Icarus NZ.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

One thing to keep in mind with the full flight canopy on opening, is that it's harder to clear line twists. If you get your knees out of the breeze (stand up in the harness) the wind vain affect is negated, and it'll untwist. Also, you can stick an arm and leg out to use the wind, as you come around, pull in, and stick the other side out.

We tie the steering lines into the center Ds with bands, in 4000 to 5000 tandems, we've had one line over.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

We tie the steering lines into the center Ds with bands, in 4000 to 5000 tandems, we've had one line over.

I have a couple 330s and 365s and one 400, and I do the same, not so much for better openings, but to reduce the likelihood of a lineover.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

t:
In Reply To

I have a couple 330s and 365s and one 400, and I do the same, not so much for better openings, but to reduce the likelihood of a lineover.

I have not seen a lineover on an icarus for... i can't remeber when. the DZ i just left does 16000+ tandems annually and the only cutways I saw were from linetwists from TMs tha punch it low and don't give themseleves enough time to get out of them.

Our packers were less than tidy to boot!

I am not opposed to the concept of the tailgate type rubberband setup but don't really see then need for it either.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

We jump Icarus 330's and Precision 365's...they open and fly great..it seems the Icarus snivel a little longer, but fly very similar. We have the main toggle connected to the outer two brake lines and the flare toggles hooked to the inner brake lines. We get great openings and landings, so I highly recommend them!
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru

Precision 365 openings?
Terrible from my point of view -- they shake and snap and whip you around on opening. But that is from someone with only maybe 20 jumps on them, who normally jumps Sigmas, which have a relatively smooth opening. Keep that very limited frame of reference in mind.