BillyVance

Tandem video from youtube

Check out the white cell just before the landing. Doesn't it look deformed to you. Like blown out?

~H

Nope, looks fine to me. Probably just an optical illusion.

Yeah, looks like the top skin of the white cell is blending in with the white cloud. Looks normal once the canopy gets close enough to see it properly.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

It looks like he flared expecting to plane out, didn't, and didn't react in time. A relatively simple mistake at an unfortunately crucial time. I've had plenty of landings on hot days where I got a similar lack of response. It's countered by simply stabbing the brakes deeper. A couple of times, I still didn't get the response I needed and we shut down for the day. I say "a couple", but I really only remember one...5 tandems on the load, all 5 pounded in hard. I was first down and it seemed like it was raining meat. Still, despite the clouds of dirt that flew, nobody was injured beyond a bruise or two.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Every once in a while you won't get the response you expected, quick action by stabbing deeper is the only answer, but we all know that this is not so easy with a heavier person because it takes a LOT of power.
For this reason I go to the gym 2 times a week in the winter time. In the summer my tandems give me plenty of arm excercise so I only run :)

We had some talks about possible spinal injuries at my dropzone. We had none and want to keep it that way.
We keep on telling our TI's to get their legs on the ground first, the passengers beehind is lower that the TI's, and consequently will take most of the impact force. The TI's legs touching first will take away a big part of that energy.
At the end of last season I had a crash landing, felt like a downdraft, stabbing didn't work. We reviewed the video several times and didn't see me doing anything wrong. Typical case of shit happens.
I took a pretty hard impact on my legs (they can take it) and I am shure that that has prevented my passenger from at least breaking his tail-bone...

I think I see tht TI at least trying to do just that, but then it's pretty unclear in youtube-quality
Without seeing this landing from a point in time at least 3 seconds earlier I think none of us forum-experts can really point a finger.

I did want to post this however to emphasise the necessity to have the TI's feet touching first.
It's your job to break your legs if that means your passenger won't break his back.
If you're not prepared for that, go be a chess-instructor or sumtin':P

* editted for an obscene amount of typo's

"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

We keep on telling our TI's to get their legs on the ground first, the passengers beehind is lower that the TI's, and consequently will take most of the impact force. The TI's legs touching first will take away a big part of that energy.

This is a very good point. I teach and try on every jump to have my feet touch first.

To often you see T-I's with their feet raised higher than the students butt. If a T-I was to let their feet touch first it will reduce the impact on not only the Students tail bone but the T-I's as well.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!