sabrepilot25

tandem course material

hello all, i was wondering if anybody would be kind enough to help me out. i currently have 2300 skydives, I will be getting my tandem rating in about a month or so. When i got my AFF rating i read through a lot of the course material a couple of months before i went to do the course. This worked out well for me because by the time i did the actual course i already knew the majority of what i had to know and it made the course a lot easier than it would have been otherwise.

I would like to do the same for my tandem rating so if anybody could point me in the direction of tandem rating course material e.g malfunction procedures, i would be grateful. I plan on getting a strong rating.

some usefull reading on strong systems can be found on their webpage

if you know which IE you are going to take the course with, it shouldn't be too hard to get the complete material in advance. :)

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

"I will be getting my tandem rating in about a month or so. "
I would prefer to see
"I am attending a Tandem I Course in a month or so"
Attendance should not automatically guarantee a rating.
Too many people go into the rating course already thinking they have passed, and while I know some I/Es pretty much sign everyone that attends off, I hope you have signed up for a course that will make you EARN your rating.
Please understand, I have the highest hope for you(and everyone that wants a rating), and wish you nothing but the best luck, don't go into it with this mind set.
Instead,look at it as a learning opportunity.

Good luck!
Ralph Nichols
USPA Tandem I/E

Agreed!

Mail $100 to Strong Enterprises for the Tandem Instructor Package. The TIP includes all the manuals and most of the forms you will need during the Strong Tandem Certification Course.
The $100 also covers registering your new rating with Strong Enterprises.

Other forms you will need include photo-copies of your (current) USPA membership, USPA D License, USPA Instructor or Coach rating, FAA medical (Class 3 or better) and photo-copies of your logbook showing more than 3 years skydiving experience, more than 500 jumps and at least one reserve ride.

Definitely read through most of the package and fill out most of the written exam - in pencil - before you start the course.
Strong takes pre-course reading so seriously, that if you arrive at the course - without pre-reading most of the material, most Tandem Examiners will send you home empty-handed!

Similarly, get a few lessons on packing tandem mains well before your course, because you have to pack and jump a tandem main to pass the course.

It also helps if you audit a few tandem ground schools to get a feel for the structure and rhythm of tandem ground school.

Bottom line: a tandem certification course contains far more information than you can absorb in two or three days, so pre-study is mandatory.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

Strong takes pre-course reading so seriously, that if you arrive at the course - without pre-reading most of the material, most Tandem Examiners will send you home empty-handed!

I know one examiner who's policy is if people are not prepared he extends the course one day so they can get prepared, and charges them his day-rate for that day.

" ... some I/Es pretty much sign everyone that attends off. ...

Good luck!
Ralph Nichols
USPA Tandem I/E

"

I am not sure where that idea originated?????

Since Strong expects TEs to do level 4 and level 5 jumps straped to the front of every candidate ... I have to put my life in the hands of every prospective TI before unleashing them on the public.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

"I will be getting my tandem rating in about a month or so. "
I would prefer to see
"I am attending a Tandem I Course in a month or so"

Considering he has 2300 jumps and an AFF rating, I think I would say he is self confident, not cocky.:P

Although I worked hard to learn the material and perform well on the eval jumps, I had similar numbers and quals when I got my tandem rating. I wasn't too worried about not making the grade. :)

One consider who's gear you'll be jumping, if they are Strong only at your area? I been through Strong, there precourse is very through, I even own a Strong.
Then turned around after 200 and got my Sigma/Vector rating after a couple years. Loooking at the two side beside not hard to see the diffrences, Strong wants any type of repairs done by them not even a rigger.
So consider that with everything else, most drop zones that I know of are going with Sigma/Vector more. Being that rigs aren't asked to be sent in yearly, and maintenace work can be done by a Riger.:)

jgaley69
www.jumpelvis.com

"... Strong wants any type of repairs done by them not even a rigger.
... Being that rigs aren't asked to be sent in yearly, and maintenance work can be done by a Riger.:)

Who told you that?

I do dozens of minor repairs, relines, etc. every year on Strong Tandem equipment.
It has been a long time since I have mailed a tandem rig to Strong for repairs.
Yes, Strong has a tighter (factory) inspection schedule than any other tandem manufacturer, but I think it is worthwhile.
Strong tandem gear should be inspected by the factory (or a Strong-authorized service center) after 8 years, 13 years and usually retires after 18 years.

Strong tandem mains rarely go back for 8-year inspections, because " ... if your cannot wear out (more than 1,000 jumps) a main, you are in the wrong business."

If you think Strong's standards are too tight, try askign the DZO who I told: "Don't waster you time mailing me your faded, frayed and filthy 13-year-old Vector, because I will not repair it AGAIN."

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger
Strong Tandem Examiner

Hi!

Agreed!

Other forms you will need include photo-copies of your (current) USPA membership, USPA D License, USPA Instructor or Coach rating, FAA medical (Class 3 or better) and photo-copies of your logbook showing more than 3 years skydiving experience, more than 500 jumps and at least one reserve ride.

I'm not USPA member and not yet TI, but I wish to be qualified TI and to have a certificate wich valid all over the world (and in US too). Does it matters which country gives me TI certificate and which certificate is preferable?

May be someone here was in situation like this and can recomend the simpliest way.

Thanks lot for your replys.

Please start by completing your profile.

Yes, a tandem instructor rating issued by a factory should be valid around the world, but the problem is that different countries add different pre-levels.

Some national skydiving organizations follow manufacturers' recommendations of 500 solo jumps before doing tandems, while other countries (Australia) require a thousand jumps before doing tandems.

For example, while manufacturers require some other type of parachute instructor rating, that rating varies widely from one country to the next. In Canada, a Coach 1 rating is the pre-level for earning a tandem rating, while in the USA, you need a Basic Instructor Course (almost a photo-copy of CSPA C1 Course), while Franc used to require a Federal Instructor rating, much higher than in North America.

Medical requirements may also vary. American TIs need an FAA Class 3 Medical Certificate (Private Pilot), while in Canada, a mere note (signed by any doctor) can certify you as physically fit to do tandems.

Finally, if want to work in their country, most national skydiving organizations will require you to pay membership dues.

The bottom line, is do your research before applying to work as a tandem instructgor in another country.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner, who has worked in Canada, USA, France and Germany

Agreed!

Mail $100 to Strong Enterprises for the Tandem Instructor Package. The TIP includes all the manuals and most of the forms you will need during the Strong Tandem Certification Course.
The $100 also covers registering your new rating with Strong Enterprises.

Definitely read through most of the package and fill out most of the written exam - in pencil - before you start the course.

Similarly, get a few lessons on packing tandem mains well before your course, because you have to pack and jump a tandem main to pass the course.

It also helps if you audit a few tandem ground schools to get a feel for the structure and rhythm of tandem ground school.

Bottom line: a tandem certification course contains far more information than you can absorb in two or three days, so pre-study is mandatory.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

In '03, I paid $100 for the packet. I can't believe it's still that cheap. You get so much great information for that price--it's definitely worth it.