markovwgti

FAA First Class Medical

Yes, a first class will work just fine. If you let your 1st Class expire, it becomes a 2nd Class until the period a second class expires has passed and then becomes a 3d class expiring either 2 or 3 years after you received the 1st Class, depending on your age.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

1st class is fine. As I understand it, a 1st in effect becomes a 2nd when the time the 1st is valid for passes. The 2nd then becomes a 3rd as time passes again. I usually have gotten a 2nd but it reverts to a 3rd when the time for the 2nd is up if I don't need the 2nd.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

So if i got it 1/26/09 and im taking my course this weekend it will be fine?

As I understand now with the FAR change, if you were under 40 years of age at the time you got your physical, you're good until 1/31/2014.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

A first class might even serve you better.
Given the FAA is the governing body for the tickets, if you're a mere skydiver and need any assistance in obtaining a medical ticket, the FAA responds to pilots, NOT SKYDIVERS!!!

As far as the FAA is concerned you Third Class guys are student pilots.

It's been covered, but the FAA (law) does not require you to have the medical, but USPA (peer pressure) does.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Since the first class medical (commercial pilot) is done to tighter standards than third class (private pilot) it more than meets the TI requirements.

(Thread drift) A commercial pilot is not required to have a 1st class certificate. Or were you using the term commercial to mean ATP/airline pilot?

"A second-class airman medical certificate is required for commercial, non-airline duties (e.g., for crop dusters, corporate pilots)"

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response4/

A first class might even serve you better.
Given the FAA is the governing body for the tickets, if you're a mere skydiver and need any assistance in obtaining a medical ticket, the FAA responds to pilots, NOT SKYDIVERS!!!

As far as the FAA is concerned you Third Class guys are student pilots.

More than just student pilots.

"A third-class airman medical certificate is required to exercise the privileges of a private pilot certificate, recreational pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate, or a student pilot certificate."

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response4/

It's been covered, but the FAA (law) does not require you to have the medical, but USPA (peer pressure) does.

Before the USPA was involved with tandem certification, the tandem rig manufacturers required a third class medical cert, IIRC. And still do.

and that's the catch, if you have any exceptions under the normal physical and need a review, you're stranded.
USPA won't push the FAA to make it happen and the FAA doesn't care because you're not a pilot.
I have a friend in this exact situation.
They won't renew his class three, but if he gets a pilot license, they'll approve a class one.
:S:S:S:S
Why not just approve the class three???????
Why won't the USPA help in this situation?
It's directly impacting this guy's income - severely!

My understanding of the issue is that he needs either an additional exam for vision or a waiver or special requirement. Because he's a skydiver, there's no effort by the FAA to send someone out for that portion.
IF he is getting a class one for a pilot license, then the FAA will send an investigator out.

Something doesn't sound right about this, but if you think being a pilot helps getting a medical certificate simply have him join Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (http://www.aopa.org/) for $39.00 They have an excellent department for helping people through the red tape of getting medical certification. You don't have to renew your membership after the 1st year and he can still get an AOPA bumper sticker that he can put on his car as a chick magnet.

There is no secret pilot's handshake. Anyone can join.

The pilots of the world aren't out to get you nor does the FAA necessarily treat them better. I know.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I learned something today.

Medical standards are where Canadian Air Regulations differ from American Federal Air Regulations.

All Canadian Commercial Pilots need a recent Class One Medical, while private, student, etc. pilots can get by with a Class Three Medical.

Canadian Air Regulations are slowly changing to match European regulations, just as FARs are slowly changing to match JARS, take air space designations for example: A, B, C, D, E, F and G.

Don't worry, all countries will eventually converge on one global (ICAO) standard for air law, but don't hold your breath.

"A third-class airman medical certificate is required to exercise the privileges of a private pilot certificate, recreational pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate, or a student pilot certificate."

But a student pilot certificate literally IS a 3rd class medical form. You can get a [student] pilot's license just by going to the doctor.

Dave

But a student pilot certificate literally IS a 3rd class medical form. You can get a [student] pilot's license just by going to the doctor.

Dave

That's what I was getting at. Don't say anything to anybody about skydiving, you are a "student pilot." If you have "issues" the doctor should know how to proceed in order to submit everything such that the FAA will accept.

For instance, I take half a pill for blood pressure. Apparently the FAA has recently stepped up the red tape. The doc I use for my flight medical wrote out what I'd need (blood work no more than so many days old, EKG, and a letter from my doctor stating that everything was normal, I was healthy, no restrictions, etc.). The doc I use for the flight medical would have done the blood and ekg for a charge, my choice where to do it.

AC DZ