Southern_Man

Smallest Tandem passenger?

What is the smallest a person could be and still fit safely into a tandem harness? I asked around my drop zone and the smallest anybody had take a tandem passenger was ~4'10" and maybe 90 lbs or so. I'm not sure if there is a manufacturer recommendation. Just curious if people have taken people smaller than this (both height and weight).
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I am sure the folks from South Africa have taken smaller people as there is no age limit as long as they can fit in the harness. At least that is what I understand. Lots of 5 year olds have made tandems there. I keep telling my sons mom I am going to take him there for his 5th birthday :)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Not a TI so take it for what it's worth.

We had a girl come out and do a tandem that was about 4'6", maybe 75lbs or so. She had had some developmental issues when she was young.

The TI spent a few extra minutes making sure the harness was adjusted correctly, but it fit her properly.
The TI had said he wasn't sure it would fit ok, and wouldn't take her if it hadn't.

One of the more interesting sights was watching the TI (6' 200lbs) walking aroung with the rig on his back and the girl hanging off his chest. Her feet were just below his knees.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I am sure the folks from South Africa have taken smaller people as there is no age limit as long as they can fit in the harness. At least that is what I understand. Lots of 5 year olds have made tandems there. I keep telling my sons mom I am going to take him there for his 5th birthday :)

You could also take him for a tandem paraglider flight here in the USA.

Not a TI so take it for what it's worth.

We had a girl come out and do a tandem that was about 4'6", maybe 75lbs or so. She had had some developmental issues when she was young.

The TI spent a few extra minutes making sure the harness was adjusted correctly, but it fit her properly.
The TI had said he wasn't sure it would fit ok, and wouldn't take her if it hadn't.

One of the more interesting sights was watching the TI (6' 200lbs) walking aroung with the rig on his back and the girl hanging off his chest. Her feet were just below his knees.

Thanks, that's little, smaller than I am thinking about, although not by much. Do you know what system they used?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Strong Dual Hawk.

Just to emphasize - The TI wasn't sure it would work, spent extra time making sure the fit was correct and had the student bend and twist around while he was yanking various directions on the harness to make sure it would stay on.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

We take kids up over here, youngest was 5 I think (dropzone kid), most are 8-9yrs or older. We do have one special kids harness we use for these, not sure of the specifics but that harness seems to have less back stuff. Somewhat older kids like these or this or this one can go into a regular harness. This one looks like the kid harness.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What is the smallest a person could be and still fit safely into a tandem harness? I asked around my drop zone and the smallest anybody had take a tandem passenger was ~4'10" and maybe 90 lbs or so.

....................................................................................................

That sounds like the lower limit.
A long time ago, at a DZ far, far away I took a 13 year old girl about 4' 10" and less than 100 pounds. She was scared stiff the entire jump!
At pull time, she had a dead grip on my left thumb. Hint, this was shortly after they started installing drogues on Vectors, but before they started installing a second drogue release and many years before Cypres was invented.
Sometimes I am amazed at all the dumb things I survived when I was young??????????????

I have never jumped with a minor since then!!!!!

Manufacturers frown on taking minors because they cannot sign (binding) waivers, nor can their parents sign away their right to sue when they turn 18. The legal risk is simply too great.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

I took a 4'11", 85 pound adult woman the other day. The Sigma harness fit just fine.

On the plane, when she sat on my lap for the hookup, she apologized for squishing me.:S:D

Women seem to be very self conscious about their weight. I've never had the 250 pound guy worry about squishing me.:P

I took a 4'11", 85 pound adult woman the other day. The Sigma harness fit just fine.

On the plane, when she sat on my lap for the hookup, she apologized for squishing me.:S:D

Women seem to be very self conscious about their weight. I've never had the 250 pound guy worry about squishing me.:P

I was about 85-90lbs when I started jumping last year, and I remember apologizing to my TI in the plane too :D:D

How about the tallest ? any Pro basketballers..?

Not super tall but I took someone that was 6' 7" once. I am only 5' 6" :S. I was his little back pack. :D He had a perfect arch and it was one of the easiest skydives I have ever done. The landing was a different story. I think he landed a minute before I did. :ph34r: