fcajump

TI's: Tandems and Helmets (your typical use)?

Was watching another thread and I noticed that their students were not wearing helmets. (not typical where I jump)

While most TI's that I know have their students in frap hats, I also have seen one TI that puts Protec on them (and a full-face on himself).

For myself, I used a Protec on me to help ensure I was there for the whole dive and a frap hat on my student to ensure that they were less likely to either hurt me (headbutt) or have their hair in my face and/or risers.

Curious what others do elsewhere...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

No helmets on students, I wouldn't want a hard helmet on them to pop me in the face. I've been bloodied by students heads before. I have thought about a frap hat on them to soften the blow. Definitely something to consider.

I did not wear a helmet for the longest as a TI. I couldn't hear the student talking to me under canopy.
After my second or third riser strike that left me bloody, I was talking to Bram Clement about it. He simply said "Do you want to hear a student talk or do you want your ears?".
Since then I wear my Ion when I jump Strong rigs - the Sigma is such a different opening that I'm undecided on wearing a helmet or not.

Students do not wear helmets are frap hats-

I wear an open face helmet with a chin cup. I frequently hear the risers slapping off the side of my head on deployment and I want to keep my ears so I wear a helmet. I purposely put a chin cup on it, because sometimes on the butt slide landings I hit the student's head with my chin. A very bad habit that I have to stay on alert for. :$

http://3ringnecklace.com/

Student, frap hat, it cuts down on noise, keeps them warmer in the winter, and sets a trend of always using safety equipment, including head protection for when the progress in the program.

Me, frap hat, as it doesn't roll away when someone kicks it on the A/C floor, it protects my ears from riser strikes, and I take it off under canopy to hear the student better. I do wear earplugs as well.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have always put leather frap hats on my tandem students.
For the first few years, I wore a similar leather hat, but switched to a ProTec 15 years ago.
Even though my ProTec survived a plane crash last year, I replaced it with a similar HR2 hard shell helmet.
And I always wear earplugs.

Frap hats are spendy, but I really like the idea of using them for TI students. What amazes me is that no gear manufacturers have designed a helmet for this purpose. Soft pading on top, hard side shell with ear holes for hearing... hmmm
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

"

Frap hats are spendy ..."

..............................................................................................

Agreed!
But frap hats have historical value for grumpy old grey-bearded DZOs who remember when all the skygods wore leather frap hats.

Rugby helmets retail for half the cost of leather frap hats.

- the Sigma is such a different opening that I'm undecided on wearing a helmet or not.

I had a riser slap on a Sigma knock my Dytter off the clip and back into freefall.[:/]

My DZ has frap hats for all the passengers. I did frap hat for a long time and switched to an open face pimp daddy. It's got a lot of door scars on the top from stiff legged students. I'm glad I've got it.

"

Stiff students in the door is reason enough!
:D ..."

.....................................................................................................

Stiff students jamming my head into the door frame is the same reason I quit wearing my regular prescription glasses on skydives, because it is too easy for them to wreck delicate (civilian) frames.
For many years I wore prescription racketball or basketball glasses, but now wear Wiley X prescription goggles.

Stiff students in the door is reason enough!
:D
I made the Sigma comment thinking I just don't have enough experience with them yet to decide.
I like jumping without a helmet while fully realizing the risk.

I've got about 1,000 Sigma jumps now, and I still feel quite comfortable with no helmet... then again, that may be because I'm jumping Icarus mains that snivel nicely.

I wear a hard shell open face and rarely if ever put anything (frap hat) on tandem students. We jump a 206 with a roll up door. If you forget to put your head down far enough when the door is opened..the ribs on the door going across your skull will remind you really quickly. The helmet keeps me from getting knocked around in the cabin and upon exit and gives me a place to stick my audible.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I use a frap hats when weather requires it for myself and mt students. Otherwise I do not wear one or require my student to wear one. I always make the option available to them, also well I have disposable earplugs for those who want them.

I am not sure what purpose a helmet would serve me other than being a distraction after opening and restricting my view and the movement of my head during an malfunction. With a passenger in front movement is restricted enough that I need all the head movement possible when dealing with a malfunction. That and Being able to communicate clearly with my passengers while under canopy and not having the distraction of adjusting or removing a helmet after opening cancel the minimal safety a helmet could provide me on exit. In my opinion.

Ears,,,, I have only had problems on my sport rig.

I do wear a helmet on sport jumps because I see the value it provides me.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421