skydived19006

Jump Shack's "The Use of Handcam"

In light of the recent tandem incident while wearing a hand cam, and a Racer Tandem rig. I looked at Jump Shack's site, and came across this article. There is no evidence that the video camera had anything to do with that incident, but the subject of training, minimum numbers, etc has arisen again. Since I didn't think it appropriate to take the thread in Incidents off topic, I'm posting here.

Martin

http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TANDEM&PageID=Handcam&SortBy=TITLE_A
The Use of Handcam
3/24/2009
As both a manufacturer of Tandem Equipment and a rating authority for its use, The Jump Shack has received several inquiries regarding requirements and recommendations for the use of handcam video. As we don't specifically train people to use this equipment we cannot, realistically, dictate requirements but we can offer recommendations based on the experience of some of our tandem instructors and examiners.

Handcam, the use of a small video camera encased in a glove and worn on the left hand of the tandem instructor, has been increasing in popularity over recent years. There are distinct advantages and disadvantages to this method of filming tandems, and it is the purpose of this article to outline;

1. The Advantages and Disadvantages of handcam video
2. The minimum recommendations to shoot handcam video
3. The necessary mindset of the tandem instructor while shooting handcam video
4. Examples of useful procedures while shooting handcam video

Advantages of Handcam

Handcam video has become popular with both instructors and DZOs primarily because it can increase the revenue of both parties.

The Drop Zone Operator can generate more income per plane load by not needing a slot for the camera flyer. For example, you can put two tandem pairs in a Cessna 182 and both can get video. This also applies to any jump aircraft because instead of dividing the revenue generated by a Tandem with video by three slots, it only requires two.

Tandem instructors can also increase their income by getting paid for shooting (and possibly editing) the video as well as for actually taking the tandem student. It also helps the instructor build rapport with the student. The development of a few easy routines to introduce the student to the equipment and to the concept of the skydive helps in building a bond between the instructor and the student, and where appropriate the use of humor can ease any tension that the student may be feeling.
The actual video footage shot both on the ground and in the air can also be used as a part of the waiver. Footage of the student being told to pick their feet up for landing and how to arch can be invaluable against the claim “nobody ever told me to do that.” This is especially true when under canopy, it is advisable to have the student practice lifting their legs and feet and actually film that.

From the student's perspective, the handcam video contains a lot of content not available with external video, including their immediate reaction on canopy opening, footage of them steering the parachute and the ability to record personal messages while under canopy to people who will eventually see the video.

Disadvantages of Handcam

Obviously having the handcam and glove on the left hand severely restricts movement in a smaller plane (such as a C182) and a lot of preparation should be taken before using the system with an actual student. Work out a way to tighten up the side straps by practicing with a fellow skydiver on the ground, in the plane, before coming to the realization that it is trickier than you thought it would be at exit time. This is especially important if you do most of your tandems from a Cessna 182. Practice in both rear and front positions as both present different challenges with a handcam.

Taking tandem students is a process that benefits from an established set of routines, and yet should never allow the instructor to become complacent. The instructor's job has enough potential pitfalls and inherent dangers that adding another component to the diveflow (handcam) should never be undertaken lightly. The presence of a handcam can be a distraction to both the instructor and the student. This distraction can be beneficial in some instances (having the student look at the camera while in the door can alleviate some of the fear at exit time) and detrimental in others (having the student forget to arch because they're too busy geeking the camera or assuming bad body position because they spend the whole jump staring off to the left trying to find the camera).

From the student's point of view the shots missing are the “fly in” shot and any 360's presenting a complete view of the tandem from all aspects. However, with the development of some routine camera angles during every freefall, this can be compensated for, and more than made up for with the addition of footage shot under canopy and some varying camera angles. Also, any stills pulled from the video will not be of the same quality as those shot with a good Digital Single Lens Reflex or 35mm camera.

The Minimum Recommendations for performing Handcam tandems

Because of the potential for distraction and the added complexity during hookup and exit the following are the minimum recommendations for instructors who wish to use a handcam setup.

1. An absolute minimum of 100 post-probation tandem skydives.
2. Currency (the first jump back after a seasonal layoff should NOT be a handcam jump.
3. Before taking a student the instructor should make 2 solo jumps on sport gear with the camera to feel how it affects flying and 1 jump on tandem gear with an experienced (C licensed) skydiver.

These recommendations are the absolute minimum, the instructor should make as many practice jumps as needed to build a comfort factor.

The necessary mindset for performing Handcam tandems

Any instructor performing handcam video on a tandem should realize that they are a tandem instructor first and a videographer second. The video should be the very last priority on the skydive.

“A bad video of a good skydive is preferable to a good video of a bad skydive”

From hookup procedures, through the exit, the freefall and the parachute ride full attention should be given to the skydive and the video should only be interwoven into established procedures.

The instructor should also remember that it is the student's video, they want to see themselves in it, not the instructor goofing around and grandstanding for the whole freefall.

Handcam Procedures

It is important to establish a good set of routines that will minimize the risk of distraction during a tandem skydive performed with handcam. This should start at the very beginning and will assist the instructor in turning out a quality product safely. Below are some examples of handcam procedures that will help in formulating a good, safe routine of your own.

Either before meeting your student with camera in hand take a shot of the student's name on the manifest board or the waiver or at the very least either say their name in the introduction or get them to say it. When the videos are being edited it really helps to know exactly whose video you are working on.

Gauge the student's temperament, some humor in the introduction can reduce the fear component, but it should be carefully used, as typical skydiver “gallows humor” may do more harm than good. Generate a routine that you are comfortable with and that can be adapted for every type of student that you will encounter. This part of the video can be used to build a rapport with the student that will help you gain their trust and encourage them to follow your instructions during every part of the skydive. You can even get them to show you a “practice arch” which will encourage them to do the same in the air. If you routinely perform a practice climbout, film that too.

During the climb to altitude film some shots out of the window, inside the plane and, if possible, even conduct a mini-interview. If the student is with some friends and family get them in the shots too.

In the door, pause a second and have the student look at the camera. Ask them to do this while on the ground and remind them once you are hooked up. Having them look at the camera can take their mind, momentarily, off of the concept that they are about to jump from an airplane, then gently guide their head back into position and proceed with the exit.

A good exit is better than a good video of the exit. Concentrate on stability and getting the drogue out.

Once you are flying nice and stable bring your left hand around, either over or under the student's arm, and get them in frame. Let the camera rest there for a few seconds to get their reactions, this is a great time to do a practice touch on the right drogue release. If all is going smoothly you can obtain some good shots by bring both of your arms out wide and high, by tilting the camera at the ground and then gently bring the hand back to the neutral position. Make all movements as smooth as possible and let any shot linger for a few seconds. Rapid movement shots will make the tandem look jerky and panicky.

Always make your primary pull with the right drogue release while filming handcam. When jumping without a camera switch to the left drogue release to maintain familiarity with its location.

You can get great opening shots of the canopy with a little practice, then bring the camera up to the student's face to get their initial reaction; it can be priceless! When you have checked the canopy and done a control check you can interview the student. When they have the steering toggles you can tell the camera that they are flying the parachute then pan around the landscape slowly to get the full scenic effect. Turns of 360 and 720 degrees under canopy can look startling if the camera is pointed at the ground, and always get the student to practice their leg positions for landing on the video.

During the landing try and keep the student in frame, but if not possible, once safely on the ground and with a collapsed canopy get the student's face in full frame and let them tell the world what they thought of their experience.

Finish the video with a short interview, get their name and the dropzone name in there and have a definite finish move such as “Welcome to the sky” and point the camera up as you shut it off. This will give you a definite “end point” for the edit.

As I stated at the beginning of this article, there is no training or testing for incorporating handcam into tandem skydiving, yet its potential for disrupting the dive should not be underestimated. The content of this article is based on the observations and experience of tandem instructors that have already dealt with some of the potential pitfalls, and can be used as a platform for building your own procedures,
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Riggerrob mentioned a thesis on this subject. I'd like to find that, and asked him if he can lead me/us to it.

The above mentioned suggested requirements seem reasonable to me.

I've noticed guys using the "little" sony HD cameras. They're half the size of my old PC9, and not much more than an old altimeter. Nice option for HC!

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

The size and shape of the camera addresses one issue (entanglement), but doesn't touch on the mental complexity of trying to shoot video and fly a tandem at the same time.

It's kinda like driving with a handsfree cell phone. That's a better option than holding a cell phone while driving, but it's still a distraction.

In tandem jumping the distraction might not matter most of the time, but with a challenging student or weird malfunction that extra distraction could be the difference between life and death-death. An instructor must always be willing to stop being a shooter, and focus exclusively on flying the tandem. Sometimes that doesn't happen.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

This is one reason I beleive TI should jump with the handycam every jump once they start jumping one. At first they should all be nonpaying tandems so the TI can build their routine around the cam without being scolded for missing the dive. It should be a part of every jump or non at all. When we TI's deviate from our routine it becomes very dangerous. I have jumped with a cam on my hand for the last 500 jumps and I pay more attention to the tandem than the camera. There have been a few times this year Where I had to address canopy issues during opening and there was never a thought of whether to wait or respond forsaking the video.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Hi

As a TI/E I do not see any PRO reason for jumping a handycam - too much risk for nothing.

I do see PRO reasons for NOT juming it.

IMO the TI using a handycam of any size does not check/touch the handles & he / she adds a risk factor to the tandem jump.

Handycam does not replace a PRO camera flyer who does video and / or stills, use of handycan drop out of work camera flyers.

Yes, I know the small DZ, small Cessna issues.

Better efforts should be put in TI's training such as:
1.VR360 deployment process.
2.Main Bag lock with collapsed drogue.
3.Tandem 2 canopies out - main cutaway issues.
4.2 canopies out on Racer with 2 sides RSL - Release of the RSL shackels before main cutaway at altitude.
5.Drogue deployment check & all handles touch after drogue deployed.
6.Mandaory use of audible altimeter & watch of altitude.
7.Jump only Tandem Systems with approved reserve & main by the Tandem system mfg.
8.Jump only well rigged & maintained systems.
9.Know the system you jump & Pre Jump gear check.
10.Tandem EP alerts at all time.
11.Harnessing the tandem passenger.
12.Avoiding "side spin".

We the TI's fly for the public - it should be SAFE & well handled from A-Z.

There are too many issues in the tandem market & too many accidents in the past years - Tandem is a Commercial Skydiving Flight & NOT an "Extreme" activity.

The FAA/CAA, NAC, Mfg. DZO, TI/E's, TI's, Riggers can assist a lot to keep it SAFE & SAFER.

Be Safe !!!

Obviously having the handcam and glove on the left hand severely restricts movement in a smaller plane (such as a C182) and a lot of preparation should be taken before using the system with an actual student. Work out a way to tighten up the side straps by practicing with a fellow skydiver on the ground, in the plane, before coming to the realization that it is trickier than you thought it would be at exit time

Where the thought and process put into making this statement are in the interests of safety, it is quite obvious the writer has minimal experience with hand cam jumping.

I am by no means a guru at it either but I have performed over 1000 of them...

Almost all of the instructors that do hand cam (where i have been) do not put the glove on until _AFTER_ the student is attached fully. the briefing can be discussed while you put the glove on.

A C182 is probably the easiest aircraft to get good exit footage with due to the placement of the wing strut and the ability to rest your hand on there, the shot looks down the fusulage, and gives a nice shot of the customers face before exit.

The article goes into too much detail about the content of the video and does not keep to the issue of safety.

A equipment manufacturer has no part in dictating the content of ones videos, yet if a instructor is using the said equipment, he/she is bound to stick to thier recommendations.

There must have been over a million of hand cam jumps to date, and very little incidents with them, they make a start up DZ competative and give customers another option.

I know someone that has had an entaglement with their altimeter, should we argue against the use of those also?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

:)
Any income from tandem video should go to a PRO video / stills flyer - TI's got the money for doing tandems, tandem camera flyers have the same rights.

IMO a TI should not add extra risk for few more $$.

Cheers !!!

I have no instructional ratings but will say your 2 posts make a ton of sense. well put.

Any income from tandem video should go to a PRO video / stills flyer - TI's got the money for doing tandems, tandem camera flyers have the same rights.

Cheers !!!

What if the TI is the Pro video/stills flyer? At my DZ there are two of us, both TIs, both fly video trading off. My DZ can do 16 tandems a day with hand cam, 8 a day with outside video. With hand cam, the students "get to ride up with their friend", don't mean shit to me, but it does to them. With hand cam, we get canopy footage, interview, it takes 30 seconds of video 10,000' to 5,500' and turns it into 5 minutes of video.

When in drogue fall, if everything is going well, all you're doing as TI is counting off the altitude until things "get exciting again" or potentially so. When "shit happens" believe me, the camera "goes away."

You can say that I speak from a monetary point of view, but I'd say the same thing to those who say "you're cutting out the Professional Vidiot"

I'll agree with the handles check if jumping gear with a potential of a floating drogue release handle. My gear has the handles (three of them) sewn permitting in place. I check the drogue, and bottom two drogue releases before rolling off, and deploy 1000' higher than minimum.

If you want to eliminate the risk, then we should all simply stay on the ground. Time has proven that the added complexities of flying camera is not killing people. If it were, I'd be the first to condemn hand cam.

Beyond that if you're a Professional Video Flyer, and HC is cutting into your income flow, man up and get your tandem rating. Eat your cake and have it too! "Technology happens", look what Henry Ford did to the buggy whip industry.

Martin

AC DZ

This is one reason I beleive TI should jump with the handycam every jump once they start jumping one. At first they should all be nonpaying tandems so the TI can build their routine around the cam without being scolded for missing the dive. It should be a part of every jump or non at all. When we TI's deviate from our routine it becomes very dangerous. I have jumped with a cam on my hand for the last 500 jumps and I pay more attention to the tandem than the camera. There have been a few times this year Where I had to address canopy issues during opening and there was never a thought of whether to wait or respond forsaking the video.

By this logic, TIs should cease to do sport jumps, it's a change in routine. All or nothing is a bit excessive.

Martin

AC DZ

Beyond that if you're a Professional Video Flyer, and HC is cutting into your income flow, man up and get your tandem rating. Eat your cake and have it too! "Technology happens", look what Henry Ford did to the buggy whip industry.

:D Epic!!!
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

:D Epic!!!

more epic is that Rigger has around 12,000 tandem jumps.:P

" ... I'll agree with the handles check if jumping gear with a potential of a floating drogue release handle. My gear has the handles (three of them) sewn permitting in place. I check the drogue, and bottom two drogue releases before rolling off, and deploy 1000' higher than minimum. ..."

.................................................................................................

The original reason for handles checks was to compensate for the $#@! buckles on Strong student drogue releases. Back in the mid-1990s, I lost count of how many times I stopped part way through a handles check to deal with a floating drogue release handle. GRRRR!
But i have not suffered a floating handle since Strong converted to plastic side-release buckles a few years ago.

The second reason for doing handles checks is to build muscle memory. If you are trying to develop complex skills - involving multiple moves and dozens of small muscles (eg. finger muscles) you need to repeat a skill hundreds or thousands of times.

Not directed at you Rob, just "MO." After all, everyone's entitled to my opinion. At least IMO.

The second reason for doing handles checks is to build muscle memory. If you are trying to develop complex skills - involving multiple moves and dozens of small muscles (eg. finger muscles) you need to repeat a skill hundreds or thousands of times.

I do, I simply don't do the handle checks in freefall, never have, not before adding the hand camera. I do multiple checks in the airplane, and on the ground before loading the airplane. I do it with appropriate trimming, and deliberate thought. At one time I just touched the handles, now I think about it while doing it 'rip pull, ... rip pull' That sort of thing. So far, any issues I've had in freefall, or under canopy I've went to the right handles, in order.

That said, if you want to touch your handles in free fall, it sure can't hurt. You might even want to cross yourself before exiting, and again before pulling, can't hurt!

Martin

AC DZ

Cheers !!!

Well I don't get enough money from doing tandem and in this country no-one has the "right" to any money; it's called capitalism.
The reason we are going to hand-cam is because we cannot find enough competent camera flyers to keep the plane moving.

Go tapeless, no more waiting.

What's that go to do with anything??? It's usually camera batteries, not packed, blah blah blah.

Show up in the morning with everything ready to go!!
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Go tapeless, no more waiting.

What's that go to do with anything??? It's usually camera batteries, not packed, blah blah blah.

Show up in the morning with everything ready to go!!

It was more meant as a joke and I don't wish to derail the thread. But...if you're waiting on camera flyers because of dead batteries, then they're obviously not too into what they're doing. FWIW, dead batts are as likely to happen to a TI on a hotload as to a vidiot. Which is why I carry a spare card in my helmet and a spare battery in my pocket.

Hi All, First let me thank you for posting the Jump Shack Recommendations.
Something that disturbs me is the quality of the video going out the door. I have seen many posted on Youtube, that look like they were done using a shot-glass for a lens. The lens I use is a Royal Diamond 0.3x with a 110 degree field of view. With a little practice the student is perfectly centered in frame, and any distotion is minimal.
Your responsability is to be a tandem instructor first and foremost, but if you are going to shoot video also - Please stop using fish-eye 170 or 180 degree lenses! Sell a quality product! I'm not selling a lens, just sick of seeing video that looks like it was made from a tunnel with a round window at the end.
Youv'e got 54 lbs. of gear on your back - 160 lbs. of stupid on the front - 5 handles all in the wrong place - And a pilot chute in tow - What could possibly go wrong?