skydived19006

FAA Medical Certificate Copy Required with TI Renewal

I’m sure that this is not exactly news to many here. USPA at the 2009 Summer BOD meeting “clarified” the BSRs regarding the Third Class Medical requirement to include the word “current.”

Anyway, the point of my post is as a reminder that USPA is now requiring a copy of your current FAA Medical along with all Tandem Instructor rating renewals.

I was surprised that a search turned up zero results for “medical tandem” dated after the BOD meeting. So, I guess if I missed the search term, and this is a repost, flame on!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Read the meeting notes on this to see why it was brought up. Basically too many people were asking for waivers for the FAA medical or were presenting all sorts of other documentation other then FAA physicals and it was thought by the staff that it might be increasing the liability if something happened on one of these waivered jumpers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't really have an issue with USPA requiring a copy to be sent with the rating renewal, the manufactures had been requiring it, and it is required by FAR.

I simply figured that since I had not been made aware, apparently due to my not paying attention to stuff in parachutist, Facebook, or some e-news letter. There were others out there who were equally unaware.

I asked my RD to send something to his area S&TAs. You can get it covered in the subject line, but he sends a link to a page that discusses the change. Again, something very easy to not follow through and read.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I'm incorrect regarding the FARs requiring a Medical. I could edit my last post, but would rather let it stand, and write the correction.

Got'a be trained, have 500 jumps, 3 years, and hold a master parachute license. No specification that the master license be current.

§ 105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems.

(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachute system, unless—

(1) One of the parachutists using the tandem parachute system is the parachutist in command, and meets the following requirements:

(i) Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in parachuting, and must provide documentation that the parachutist—

(ii) Has completed a minimum of 500 freefall parachute jumps using a ram-air parachute, and

(iii) Holds a master parachute license issued by an organization recognized by the FAA, and

(iv) Has successfully completed a tandem instructor course given by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute system used in the parachute operation or a course acceptable to the Administrator.

(v) Has been certified by the appropriate parachute manufacturer or tandem course provider as being properly trained on the use of the specific tandem parachute system to be used.

(2) The person acting as parachutist in command:

(i) Has briefed the passenger parachutist before boarding the aircraft. The briefing must include the procedures to be used in case of an emergency with the aircraft or after exiting the aircraft, while preparing to exit and exiting the aircraft, freefall, operating the parachute after freefall, landing approach, and landing.

(ii) Uses the harness position prescribed by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute equipment.

(b) No person may make a parachute jump with a tandem parachute system unless—

(1) The main parachute has been packed by a certificated parachute rigger, the parachutist in command making the next jump with that parachute, or a person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.

(2) The reserve parachute has been packed by a certificated parachute rigger in accordance with §105.43(b) of this part.

(3) The tandem parachute system contains an operational automatic activation device for the reserve parachute, approved by the manufacturer of that tandem parachute system. The device must—

(i) Have been maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions, and

(ii) Be armed during each tandem parachute operation.

(4) The passenger parachutist is provided with a manual main parachute activation device and instructed on the use of that device, if required by the owner/operator.

(5) The main parachute is equipped with a single-point release system.

(6) The reserve parachute meets Technical Standard Order C23 specifications.

AC DZ

Its true, I sent in my renewal a few weeks ago and they would not renew my tandem rating until I faxed them a copy of my medical certificate, which I did the next day.
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

Same for me.

Now . . . since a 3rd class medical is good for 2 years, do I have to show them a copy of it next year?:P

I think the answer would be "yes." Also, if you're under 40 years of age, a third class medical is good for three years. If you're third is over two years old, and you hit 40 it expires (I think) on the last day of the month of your 40th birthday.

AC DZ

Third class medical is good for three years if you got it before turning 40. If it was two days prior to turning 40 its still good for three years.

Over 40 yrs of age- Class 3 medical 24 months

Under 40 yrs of age- Class 3 medical 60 months

Not sure if you guys realized this changed a while back.
http://flightphysical.com/part67/whatclass.htm

I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

I knew it was extended to 5 years on teh Class 3 under 40. Does the same hold that as long as I got the physical before 40 I am good for the 60 months?

Scott C.

I haven't read the rule amendment, but this is identical to the discussion about the pack job that was extended when the 120 day rule was extended to 180 days. The result was that the new rule did indeed extend previously completed pack jobs. I suspect the new rule on medicals will have the same effect.

I started something worthy of a "sticky!"

I was not aware of the change to 60 months, and aparrently mistaken that they expire at age 40 if over 24 months old at that point. For some folks, it would ge a good idea to go get a flight physical even if unexpired a few days before your 40th birthday. You wouldn't need to do it again until age 45 (otherwise maybe at 41, 43, and again at 45), if this is correct. Logically if required to be every 24 months at age 40, why would they let you go to age 45? I guess it could be because "logical government" is way to often an oxymoron.

It seems that a third issued at 39 years and 29 days of age is good until your 45th birthday.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response4/

Edit: Correction, If you get your medical even one day before you turn 40, it is apparently still good for 5 years (3rd Class.)

AC DZ

So if a person, during their current medical, suffers a treatable stroke, heart condition, diabetic reaction, siezure or any other condition that might otherwise keep them from passing a new medical .............. does that negate their current medical?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I believe the FARs require you to report a material change in physical condition. No time to look it up in the Airman's Information Manual right now, but I am pretty certain that there is a duty to report as a condition to being issued the medical certificate.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

It is my understanding that it does not negate the current medical. The specific requirement is:

Sec. 61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency

a person who holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:

(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation; or

(2) Is taking medication or receiving other treatment for a medical condition that results in the person being unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation.

The 64 dollar question is, "Is a tandem instructor a required pilot flight crewmember?"
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I guess I found the answer to my $64.00 question. By definition a 'parchutist in command' is not a flight crewmember since the rules governing tandem operations are in:

Part 65: Certification: Airmen other than flight crewmembers

The FAA does not care or require you to have a 3rd class medical certificate to be a TI, or a rigger, or a mechanic, or several other non flight crewmembers.

FAA does not but the USPA and the manufactures do care a lot.

This is actually a very good question to bring up to the USPA since I know more then 1 TI that has had situations like hardware inserted into them for bad landings and other situations that would typically have them on medications that would disqualify them from getting their Class 3 at that given point in time. I was always under the impression that if you would have ever been disqualified for a Class 3 then you needed to re-qualify for it. If not then someone could need to go on a medication on the non-approved FAA list 1 day after being granted the class 3 and no one would need to know for up to 4 years and 364 days.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I guess I found the answer to my $64.00 question. By definition a 'parchutist in command' is not a flight crewmember since the rules governing tandem operations are in:

Part 65: Certification: Airmen other than flight crewmembers

The FAA does not care or require you to have a 3rd class medical certificate to be a TI, or a rigger, or a mechanic, or several other non flight crewmembers.

In reply:

(1) One of the parachutists using the tandem parachute system is the parachutist in command, and meets the following requirements:

(v) Has been certified by the appropriate parachute manufacturer or tandem course provider as being properly trained on the use of the specific tandem parachute system to be used.

The USPA and the manufacturers require that in order to keep your certification current, you must also keep your medical current meaning the FAA DOES care and require you to have a current FAA medical.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You are correct and let me demonstrate using a specific example. Say your dog dies and you crash your pickup truck. You go to you doctor and get a Lexapro prescription to handle your depression. You currently have a 3rd class certificate. If you attempted to get a 3rd class certificate while on Lexapro, the FAA would not issue it to you. They do not cancel or make 'non current' a 3rd class medical certificate you already have if you start taking Lexapro. The only way you lose a 3rd class med certificate is if it expires or if it discovered that you lied or misrepresented information on the original application.

The way the FAA keeps pilots from flying while on happy pills is covered via section 61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency as stated the earlier posting.

The language that is missing in the requlations that USPA would probably like to see inserted is, " . . . shall not act as a pilot in command, parachutist in command, or any other capacity . . ."

A "parachutist in command" is currently classified by the FAA as "airman other than flight crewmembers" and as such is not subject to the language in section 61.53. The current 'loophole' allows you to act as a parachutist in command as long as your 3rd class hasn't expired or been yanked for lying.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.