Sangi

Half connected tandem student

Once... only the top attachments were done. They got out, got stable, instructor throws drogue, and the student swings out and back in. '94 or '95.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi John,

I'm going from memory here but If IRRC the very first tandem fatality(ies) was on a Strong rig somewhere in the NE USA.

They were found with only one of the shoulder snaps connected. The speculation at the time was that they probably exited with both snaps undone and he only got the one hooked up prior to impact.

Not long after that Strong said that the hip snaps would take the load of the passenger. I doubt anyone has tested the concept.

JerryBaumchen

Actually, I know of a TI (about 8 or 9 years ago) who did not hook up either of the tops and did not know it until after he opened.

Apparently the passenger hangs quite a bit lower with only the laterals connected.

Go figure.

And there's art.....
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I have seen a video of a tandem pair in the door (IIRC an Otter or KingAir), with the vidiot floating, and you can see the vidiot's hand frantically pointing out to the TI that the snaps are undone. The TI attaches them and proceeds with the dive.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.