Vercha

Back flip exit on tandem

The problem with that hanging exit is that it requires the same climb out as a poised exit.
The last time I did a poised exit from a Cessna (1990), the student tried to stand up half-way through the process. He jammed us against the underside of the wing and bent a reserve ripcord pin!

yea I've been jammed like that too. Never bent a reserve pin, but i've heard of that happening. I have found a way to explain it to them on the ground and dirt dive it to cut the chances of that happening. A bent reserve pin from that is a rare result but YES its one of the "what if's" And being aware of that possibility is good knowledge to have. It allows an instructor to make educated decisions. This is one of those cases where I only do it with certain tandems and when there is time to dirt dive
it.
Its also more time and movement outside the plane. which leads to some other "what ifs" that need to be considered as well.
Just as you would with every other exit, consider the "what ifs" and be wary of them.

Good call on getting jammed...that can definately happen.
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

hasnt been an issue yet. I always tell them to let go and I let go a split second later. One thing you need to watch is that neither of you hit your hands on the step. Hasnt happened to me yet But I noticed my hand close one time. I kind of lean a little to the right now when i drop, just to give myself a little more clearance. Its easy to do just let go with left hand first you will naturally swing right. It wouldnt hurt to have the student put hands in. Or you can grab their wrist when they let go and control their hands. Whatever floats your boat.
Its fun to do but I only do it every now and then because of the obvious extra work and dirtdiving.
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

The TI's in Angola have the student pick their feet up first, then have them grab their own harness. With the student hanging completely from the TI it's just a regular poised exit. They found it's easier on the students to pick up their feet before letting go of the strut. Holding onto their harness keeps their hands out of the way, and less likely to grab stuff they shouldn't.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

OH, just like the books and the certification courses show? hmm, maybe they aren't so old and out of touch after all? ( the books and courses)

If a T-I is jumping with a Student they should be Teaching and executing by the book! The book is about safety.

With a licensed skydiver, as student and with prior cordination, they should be able to train and practice for "oh shit" situations. But this does not include hanging videoagraphers, vrw, crw or drogue bridal pole dancing for the closeted strippers.

OH, just like the books and the certification courses show? hmm, maybe they aren't so old and out of touch after all? ( the books and courses)

If a T-I is jumping with a Student they should be Teaching and executing by the book! The book is about safety.

With a licensed skydiver, as student and with prior cordination, they should be able to train and practice for "oh shit" situations. But this does not include hanging videoagraphers, vrw, crw or drogue bridal pole dancing for the closeted strippers.

Even if that poised exit is still on the Vector/Sigma manual, most Tandem Examiners discourage it.

The last time I did a Poised Exit was in 2003, when I pretended to be a student during a Strong Tandem Certification course. That Tandem Examiner retired.

Since I took over as the regional Strong Tandem Examiner, I have never taught poised exits.
Poised exits have been relegated to the "horrors" part of my course.

Even if that poised exit is still on the Vector/Sigma manual, most Tandem Examiners discourage it.

The last time I did a Poised Exit was in 2003, when I pretended to be a student during a Strong Tandem Certification course. That Tandem Examiner retired.

Since I took over as the regional Strong Tandem Examiner, I have never taught poised exits.
Poised exits have been relegated to the "horrors" part of my course.

When I did my course in 2004 one of the five jumps with the examiner required us to climb out on the step of a 182 and do a back flip off the aircraft. We were supposed to do 3 backflips before getting stable and deploying the drogue. The point being to teach us how to recover from instability without using the drogue to get stable. IIRC this was also explicitly listed in the Strong tandem manual as one of the five jumps. This was the jump the IE required be done with him. The rest we did with each other unless we requested it with him.

I know nothing about the I/Es in your area, but we DO NOT teach the poised exit from Cessnas.

Ever.

Even though the best Evaluator to ever wear a rig (Mad Dog) shows it on the RWS video, I spend a fair amount of time making sure my candidates know why this exit is so dangerous.
I teach a rear diving exit, or, if the potential I is small like I am, I teach an exit where I pull myself into the relative wind with the strut as I exit.
Whatever works SAFELY.

Ralph Nichols

We were supposed to do 3 backflips before getting stable and deploying the drogue.,,

,,,IIRC this was also explicitly listed in the Strong tandem manual as one of the five jumps. This was the jump the IE required be done with him.

This is what I had to do also (strong rating in Australia), except we were told to do as many as we could, it was actually difficult to keep the momentum going, I did 5 because the guy before me did 5 ;). i wanted to do 6 but it wouldn't happen, probably the I/E had had enough by then?:D.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix